Temporary Sump Plugs

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
davsato

Re: Temporary Sump Plugs

Post by davsato »

Rat Jugger wrote:Just as a side note on temporary sump plugs, a few years ago I was out with a mate on a DR650, his plug unscrewed itself and vanished as these things do into the ether. Solution 1 spare spark plug straight in. Stayed there happily for the next two weeks whilst waiting on a replacement to eventually arrive.
ha thats awesome, lucky they have the same thread!
Dave
Rob 110

Post by Rob 110 »

Rat Jugger wrote:Just as a side note on temporary sump plugs, a few years ago I was out with a mate on a DR650, his plug unscrewed itself and vanished as these things do into the ether. Solution 1 spare spark plug straight in. Stayed there happily for the next two weeks whilst waiting on a replacement to eventually arrive.
'triple spark' :laugh:
Mid Wales Trails offroad tour guide: Barmouth, Llangollen, Dolgellau, Rhayader, Llandovery, Monmouth, Shropshire.

PM for details or click: SweetLamb Adventure Bike Academy

https://imgur.com/ZTqhFlL
Force

Post by Force »

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Managed to sort it out in the end. Torque wrench arrived yesterday along with the new sump plug screw and some copper washers. The manual recommended torquing the screw to 18Nm so I decided to go on the safe side and did it to 15Nm with the intension that I could nip up some more if there was a leak. Luckily there was enough thread left in the housing and it didn't strip the remaining threads out saving me having to tap a new one in :)
MORT 666

Post by MORT 666 »

If you use a new wash you wont get grief.And don't use a torque wrench on a sump plug.When did you get your t/wrench tested.?
Force

Post by Force »

The torque wrench came with a calibration certificate to show that it had been recently calibrated. Why shouldn't you use a torque wrench on a sump plug? If you don't then you can easily snap the bolt or strip the threads as I had found out. Lol
*Touring Ted*

Post by *Touring Ted* »

You should definitely use a torque wrench if you're not used to home mechanics. The lack of one was probably how it was stripped out in the first place.

Some folk seem to assume that because it's holding back oil, it needs to tightened up to angry gorilla arms setting.

The tightest setting I've ever seen on a sump plug is 40Nm and that was a 30mm diameter bolt. A child can do a bolt up to 40nm.
MORT 666

Post by MORT 666 »

Na use the wrist click,torque wrench on stretch bolts yes other no.
*Touring Ted*

Post by *Touring Ted* »

MORT 666 wrote:Na use the wrist click,torque wrench on stretch bolts yes other no.
In my own workshop, I only ever use a torque wrench when doing up a cylinder head or clutch basket... But then I've been doing it for years. I know by feel and I've not stripped a thread or had something come loose in the last 10 years !!

However, if you don't have experience or you're not sure, it would be stupid not to use a torque wrench.

If you read your workshops manuals and check torques, you'd be amazed how much things are overtightened.
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

helicoil is the way to go,if they are inserted correctly they will last forever if you wanted it doing and are close to the midlands gimme a shout
bull

Post by bull »

*Touring Ted* wrote:
MORT 666 wrote:Na use the wrist click,torque wrench on stretch bolts yes other no.
In my own workshop, I only ever use a torque wrench when doing up a cylinder head or clutch basket... But then I've been doing it for years. I know by feel and I've not stripped a thread or had something come loose in the last 10 years !!

However, if you don't have experience or you're not sure, it would be stupid not to use a torque wrench.

If you read your workshops manuals and check torques, you'd be amazed how much things are overtightened.
your spot on there ted, i see lads even my own sons tighting the sh*t out of bolts and theres no need for it at all and there is no use telling them that, i may as well be talking to the wall, in their mind they must get that very last turn or else they think the bolt wont be tight, like you i only use the torque wrench for head bolts and stuff like that

Return to “TECHNICAL”