Temporary Sump Plugs

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Force

Temporary Sump Plugs

Post by Force »

After trying to do an oil change yesterday I managed to snap the sump plug bolt off in the engine :blush: I've also managed to strip the first few 2 or 3 threads in the engine.

I'm going to buy a left handed drill bit to try and remove it and after doing some research I'm tempted to get a couple of these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Temporary-Sum ... 0886150848

Has anyone used one of these? Are they any good?

Thanks
Richard Simpson

Re: Temporary Sump Plugs

Post by Richard Simpson »

In the name of god, why?

You could make one out of a plasterboard bolt and a bathplug...and it would be about as good.
Force

Post by Force »

Might have to try making one. :) thanks! Didn't think of that.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Seriously, don't do it. There probably isn't enough clearance to accommodate the plasterboard bolt unless your bike has a very deep sump.

You can get the threads repaired/helicoiled if necessary: it's a job that any reasonably competent mechanic/metalworker could do.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Don't think that Temp. plug will work.
There'll be too much gubbins inside the engine (long thread & butterfly) which may foul on reciprocating internals. These are meant for a car with a big deep sump.

Not sure about the L/H drill bit either.

You certainly will need to drill a hole in the centre of the piece left in the crank case & then use a "broken stud/bolt extractor" to remove the piece.
Easier said than done if the threads are really tight or crossed.
When:-
You may have to drill it right out & re tap for Helicoil or larger sump plug.

As a marginal bodge you could drill it all out & use a taper thread plug!!!!
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
BIG DON

Post by BIG DON »

B)

Check out the laser tools webbsite and look at their sump plug kits, they come boxed including oversized plug, tap and all info and bits required to do the job properly
there is also a size chart for the correct kit on the site.

BIG D
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

I've recently done exactly the same thing. :( I thought an engine gasket was leaking but it's not, :) it's the sump plug weeping, oil running round onto the engine join/gasket. :) So I'm happy that the engine gasket is fine :) but unhappy that in my hamfisted way I've managed to strip the threads. :( Anyway I've no specific knowledge or expertise but here goes following advice from a friendly mechanic. These are my thoughts/plan. Helli coil is one way to go but as the sump plugs are in and out fairly regularly I could end up damaging that/stripping it out again etc. There's not a lot of metal around the sump plug. I looked at self tapping oversized sump plugs which seem a simple quick and cheap repair. :) There is also loads of advice on the web/You Tube on how to do it etc. :) But again I was concerned on how long this may last, thin Ali metal etc. Anyway what I am about to try is a piggyback self tapping sump plug. God bless the Americans an answer for everything. ;) I couldn't find anyone in the UK who sells them. :( Basically it is a self tapping oversized sump which you put in the normal way. But in the centre of it there is another threaded drain hole with a smaller screwed plug. My thoughts being I can loctite the main plug in and when I change the oil I can hold that still with a spanner and make sure I just unscrew the centre plug and not disturb the main one. :) So avoiding another stripped thread or wearing out the new threads. http://www.cgenterprises.com/drain_plug ... repair.htm I have ordered the 1047 currently waiting for it to arrive. I emailed them, a very quick reply to a couple of questions. Posted within 24 hours, currently waiting for the Canadian Postal service to do their stuff. I know this is about cars but I think it principles are the same. Might be of use to you. Best of luck I will let you know when the plug arrives and how things go. :) Best of luck.
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
Force

Post by Force »

Thanks for all the replies. Just managed to speak to someone who works on the factory floor (I work for a manufacturing company) who used to be a motorcycle mechanic. He has a few ideas and has the kit to drill and tap for a thread insert and has agreed to have a look. I'll also take a look at the piggyback option. Will keep you updated. Thanks.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Piggy back idea looks really good, however you still have to get the old bit out.

If you do helicoil it's a hard thread that will last for years.
I believe they're used in some aircraft castings from original manufacture.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

Job done. :)

One of the simplist repairs.

Ordered the piggyback self tapping sump plug from the USA 25/04/13, arrived this morning. Old plug out, threads competely stripped, they came out on the old plug, which was magnetic. Oil drained and then very slowly cut/screwed the new one in. No issues easiest job in a while.

Wish all jobs were that easy. :)

I hope your repair works as well and easy.
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.

Return to “TECHNICAL”