Advice appreciated for a newbie to biking not just adventure riding

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
dave_ac

Re: Advice appreciated for a newbie to biking not just adventure riding

Post by dave_ac »

Don't get too hung up on what bike, if you have £xxx pounds to spend on bike, helmet, insurance then any modern bike that's been looked after will get you on the road and smiling.

Two things to remember.
1 you will always remember your first bike.
2. It's not the bike it's the rider
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

dave_ac wrote:Don't get too hung up on what bike, if you have £xxx pounds to spend on bike, helmet, insurance then any modern bike that's been looked after will get you on the road and smiling.

Two things to remember.
++ 1 for that

Regs

Simon
Ps is that +2?
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

dave_ac wrote:Don't get too hung up on what bike, if you have £xxx pounds to spend on bike, helmet, insurance then any modern bike that's been looked after will get you on the road and smiling.

Two things to remember.
++ 1 for that

Regs

Simon
Ps is that +2?
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

siddhartha

Post by siddhartha »

Hello Guiri,

Just seen your post this evening - I've been out the country for the past two weeks with limited internet access and no time to check the forum - hence the delay in posting this.

You have quite a bit of research to do and a few decisions to make - not only about your choice of bike - but also all the other aspects of getting started - gear and so on - and after a few camping 'expeditions' in the UK - you will want to venture into Europe. Once you start this research - get geared up and make your first trip - you will be hooked I'm sure.

As a newbie with an interest in adventure biking and looking for advice - I would recommend you check out a publication by ABR member Mawse. His guide book - "Adventures on a Motorcycle - gearing up for touring and camping" will be a great source of advice and information for you.

[sup]http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?type ... ulu.com&q=[/sup]

Once you've read the above - got yourself geared up and ready for your first trip - take his complementary guide " One Motorbike, One Tent and I'm Hungry" with you - for some camp cooking recipe suggestions.

[sup]http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?type ... ulu.com&q=[/sup]

You never see a motorcycle outside a psychiatrist's office - unfortunately this is not my own quote.

Tenere XT1200Z / Triumph Thunderbird
guiri

Post by guiri »

Hi

Thanks for all the advice. I had a great time on the BMW Off Road Skills course a couple of weeks ago (riding the 650 Sertao), then test rode a Tiger 800 (road) and a Suzuki GSX1250FA last weekend for comparison.

I decided I want a bike that I can use for touring, and if I want to go serious off road I will either get a second bike or do a course where a suitable bike is provided (and it doesn't matter if it gets dropped).

I've got a Tiger 800 on order, so I look forward to a ride out soon.

Regards
guiri
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

guiri wrote:Hi

I decided I want a bike that I can use for touring, and if I want to go serious off road I will either get a second bike or do a course where a suitable bike is provided (and it doesn't matter if it gets dropped).

Regards
guiri
That's a good strategy, I eventually decided to get a second bike, a BEAT Alp 200, whichg is so good for trail riding I now d much more challenging rails that I wold even do on the Beemer.

Have fun :)

Simon

MarkN

Post by MarkN »

Hi Guiri,

Congratulations on passing your test, thank you for joining us too.

Whatever you buy to start with, make sure it's a used one (unless you're wallet is a large one) you probably won't have it long until you want to move up to something a bit larger and if you've bought new, you'll lose a lot of money.

There has already been some good advice on here and I'll try and add to it.

I would recommend going for a mid engined bike to start with, something like the BMW F650 GS or the Suzuki VStrom 650. Both these bikes would be really good.

I see that you have the KTM 690 on your list, you might find this a bit of a handful and the insurance might be a bit more too.

Most dealers will have demonstrators, even if you're not looking for a new one, go and ask for a test ride - I know my local BMW have a demonstrator of every flavour of GS. See which one suits you and have a look around for one.

If you keep to a mid engine bike you'll also work up so no claims history too.

Also, it's worth looking into doing some advanced training, by passing an advanced test you'll get some big discounts on insurance too. Have a look at the IAM or RoSPA.

Whatever you choose, enjoy it.

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”