Alternative to Tents

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Jonnywave

Re: Alternative to Tents

Post by Jonnywave »

Tarp, role matt,sleeping bag, bivi bag and a hammock if the ground uneven and there is somewhere to tie to. I have used hammocks loads of times and they are fantastic and with the above kit you are very versatile and light. DD hammocks are fantastic, cheap too. I have used the above kit on Bushcraft courses, motorcycle expeditions and climbing trips. I like being able to look out and if you select the site well you can be very sheltered from the wind.

I own all sorts of tents from Tent Tipi to Quasars, probably 20 different tents and seem to come back to my tarp and Hammock.go figure!
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

For all the benfits they afford you, I think the relatively few let downs of tents are worth the price. They are somewhat heavier and bulkier than bivis or hammocks, but that weight is carried by a bike, rather than a person in most of our cases. For that reason I agree that a tent is the best option.

However, despite never having used one by itself, if one did want to take the "light" option, I do think a tarp is the best of the lot. That nis mainly because it best approximates the shelter a tent provides.

I have an Alpkit bivi (as yet not used) and a DD tarp (so far only used as an extra awning or to keep most of the rain off the tent for a drier pack up the next day...).
iainnic

Post by iainnic »

I use a Wild Country Duolite Tourer. They're made for cycle tourists but the handy thing is they have a huge porch to stash everything in, and are under 3kg.

You can also get a smaller fly sheet for around £50 which does not have the large porch - handy for back packing !

Iain
Attachments
tent.jpg
tent.jpg (65.23 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
-------------------------------------------

"Anne" - GSA 1200 30 Year Colours

"Rosie" - F650GS .... in red !
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Reply Topic: Alternative to Tents

By null at 2010-04-11

....ill get me coat..:side: :side:
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Post by Guest »

appleby wrote: Another thumbs up for the Exuinox - the best & warmest tent for winter use.

I have the 250 version of that and someone asked about fitting in a pannier. Well mine will fit in my Givi E36. I find it a bit fiddly to put up as there's lots of bits to get into place but once up it's great.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”