Instructors, would you recommend it?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Redmurty

Re: Instructors, would you recommend it?

Post by Redmurty »

Gas_Up_Lets_Go wrote:
hodgerydoo wrote: Been thinking life as an instructor looks satisfying.
Why not start as an IAM/ROSPA Observer ? You get the training for free, and you'll get to try it all out without spending any cash. If you still enjoy it then you are well placed to move on to instructor training/qualifications.

Just a thought.

Redmurty wrote:I have never understood people who do jobs they hate, <snip>

Life is to short to do things you hate, <snip>

If you really want to do it go for it and enjoy, good luck
I'm trapped in a job I really don't enjoy, the money is way more than I could hope to mirror by changing , and it does allow me to own multiple bikes, take trips, holidays and be comfortable. So I suffer it, it's only 36 hours a week after all and I make the most of the remaining 132, plus the 7 weeks leave and all the bank/public holidays!!!

Takes courage to leave a secure well paid job behind.... courage I just don't have. Maybe I'll get some courage when the mortgage is paid off!
Some live to work, some work to live, there is no right or wrong it's down to the individual. I would be picking a very nice pension up in the next 12 month's if i had of stayed in the job I hated and I would of been pretty much on easy street, but then i would not of had a very intersting 12 years or more that I have had, with pension i could of travelled more but i recon I would of been pretty miserable atfor those last 12 years, so it's up to the individual as each life is individual. I have long lost interest in the destination I am far more interested in the journey.

Good luck with your choices and enjoy your journey cheers spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

Enjoyed that thanks Jelly.
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

Good, I showed it to my 12 yr old son, I wished I'd been inspired by something like that at his age.

It's a simple message, "don't allow yourself to get trapped".
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
aliwakeskate

Post by aliwakeskate »

Well said Redmurty and Jelly. Enjoyed that little video as well.
V_King

Post by V_King »

used to work 12 hours a day, 5-6 days a week for 4 years, doing a job I love, and did not see daylight :( (literally, as the office was in the basement :D )

was forced off work for two months due to injury and had a chance to think were my life is going. Six months later finished with the job I loved and decided to take an easier street. Maybe not as exiting, not as dynamic and not as chaotic, but for me it worked. Ever since was doing not as interesting or motivating jobs, but it paid well and had so much more time to enjoy life.

if you are up for a challenge, imho go for it, but determination will have to be woken up from hibernation, and at least some plan b would be good to have.

I was thinking of doing das myself, got a few instructor books, spoke with a few schools, but did not got any further than that.
""
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I've recently taught (teaching) myself to make "sourdough" bread and if I get good enough at it I may even start to sell some and a small second income stream would be nice, but I love makng the bread and I enjoy eating it more.
I have just watched the video, my oldest who is studying "baking" at college at 17 has found her career path and absolutely loves it and is so ignorant to how bloody lucky she is in finding her dream job so early.
Good luck if you can follow your heart but if you cant just make sure your "off" time makes up for the shit you have to put up with whilst earning your beer money

cheers Spud ;)

Gas_Up_Lets_Go

Post by Gas_Up_Lets_Go »

Redmurty wrote: Good luck if you can follow your heart but if you cant just make sure your "off" time makes up for the shit you have to put up with whilst earning your beer money
Agreed.

Good luck with the bread, getting a good quality loaf isn't as easy as you would think these days. I have a similar interest in beer & wine, only selling it raises too many obstacles - so I just drink it myself!
Mistakes are natures way of showing us we have more to learn
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Wine beer you could always swap it :whistle:

cheers Spud ;)

doctorzippy

Instructors, would you recommend it?

Post by doctorzippy »

Just over 2 years ago I came back from a long trip and went back to my job, a senior position in IT at a major UK bank which paid me very well. I couldn't hack being in the office and away from my bike, so I quit and took an instructor course with a local training school, passed the Cardington CBT assessment first time, did some part time work teaching CBTs then went and did my DAS qualification.

I then registered with another local school where I get enough work to make ends meet. Last year I passed my RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Riding Instruction and got myself on the Register of Post-test Motorcycle Instructors. I now also teach advanced riding which makes a welcome change from following learners! Just today I was out for 6 hours in the pouring rain of the Peak District with a guy I've taught from the beginning. Rewarding work, and thoroughly enjoyable.

I've found my vocation, no doubt.

But. It doesn't pay well, unless you want to run your own school, but that is even harder work and I like the balance I have.

Oh, and as a result of my new role and my experience on long trips, I've been asked to guide a motorcycle tour with Globebusters later this year. Return to an office job? Not as long as I can afford to eat!
Life is a journey, not a destination

Return to “THE PUB”