Helmet age

Does my ass look big in these?
terra

Helmet age

Post by terra »

Hi all. Of course we all know that buying second hand helmets are a big no-no. BUT , just suppose, (a friend) did. Is it possible to date a helmet from the orginal box.

When i done CBT, the instructor said 5 years shelf life, or nearer 3 years if you use it everyday. (Which my friend does) thanks
Stray Dog

Re: Helmet age

Post by Stray Dog »

terra wrote:the instructor said 5 years shelf life, or nearer 3 years if you use it everyday.
Oooopppps...Guess it's time I replace mine then. :blush:

There should be a date stamp somewhere in the helmet itself

Dog
knobblywobbly

Post by knobblywobbly »

Where's the scientific evidence that proves you need to change your helmet after 5 years?
Sounds more like a marketing con to me, a bit like motorcycle specific engine oil.

Sent from my ST21i using Tapatalk 2
doctorzippy

Helmet age

Post by doctorzippy »

"Why should you replace your helmet every five years?

The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy."

So now you know...
Life is a journey, not a destination
knobblywobbly

Post by knobblywobbly »

doctorzippy wrote: So now you know...
Yep, now I'm convinced it's a marketing con. There is no mention in the above regarding actual use of the helmet. According to the above blurb it's the same 5 year timeframe whether you wear your helmet once a day or once a month.

Edit........... I wonder how many people change the airbags in their cars once the car reaches 10 years old, as per the manufacturers recommendations?
doctorzippy

Helmet age

Post by doctorzippy »

Quite.

The helmet I wear daily won't last 5 years, the others will last me much longer!
Life is a journey, not a destination
terra

Post by terra »

This shelf life only applies to fibreglass. Its the UV from sun light that breaks down the plastic. It happens with plastic pond liners that fail and leak after years of light exposure. I might try the manufactures website and use my helmet serial number to date it.
corbine

Post by corbine »

I was always told to check the foam on the inside- still got lids from 30 years ago, bells, agv, shoeis up to current. noticed some of the older ones the foam has rotted out. all in varying conditions visually.
was also told dont spray the lids with paints etc as it would damage it-
finally- once dropped even if it looked ok was told to replace said helmet as it would have suffered a fracture of sorts, and shell would be compromised?
dont know how useful or true any of these points are.
urban myths? or some credence?
:-)
Stray Dog

Post by Stray Dog »

corbine wrote: still got lids from 30 years ago,
glad I'm not the only one then.... :P

Dog
corbine

Post by corbine »

Stray- cant even get the old ones on my head-dont fit any more- how the hell i ever rode with some of them -the thickness of the visors- lack of vision- weight etc... :-)
(thats the lids)

Return to “CLOTHING”