Fjäll Räven: any good?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Warthog

Fjäll Räven: any good?

Post by Warthog »

I used to think: what is the point in a Poncho?!

However, recently I have been starting to get it more and more: compact, waterproof, yet airy. In a regular rain jacket I end up perspiring if out and about.

So, looking in my local outdoor store I noticed a very nice looking poncho: hi-tech material (unlike the PVC one I have at home), hood, draw-strings, and peg points to make it into a small tarp-like shelter!! Make was Fjäll Räven.

"So why didn't you just buy it if it was so good?", I hear you cry!
Because it worked out at about £68!!

The alternative is a aluminised, ripstop nylon Ferrino model at £45!! Doesn't feel as slick, but also has the peg points and would be warmer in winter with the aluminising...

I just don't know!!

So, any thoughts on the Fjäll Räven as a brand?
Decent rep'?
Alun

Re:Fjäll Räven: any good?

Post by Alun »

Fjall Raven, like all Scandanavian brands, make good kit. They have too, with the winters they have up there. Plus, ponchos are far more popular in the Nordic countries than they are elsewhere, so they have to be doubley good to live with the competition.

Ferrino hasn't been imported into the UK for about 10 years since the last distributor went bust - owed me money too. That aside they also make good gear, or should I say they did ten years ago.

Ponchos are not warm and they do not insulate, it's the layers you wear underneath that make the difference. Why not a rain jacket with good ventilation options such as pit zips, mesh pockets etc?
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Alun wrote:
Ponchos are not warm and they do not insulate, it's the layers you wear underneath that make the difference. Why not a rain jacket with good ventilation options such as pit zips, mesh pockets etc?
well, I realise insulation is limited. I only assumed an aluminised inner surface might reflect some heat, but with no air retention it is not going to be very effective.

Why not a rain jacket?
Well, I have nothing against them, but even this expensive poncho is still a fraction of the cost of a decent rain jacket. The Fjäll Räven ones I saw, as nice as they were, they cost about £300+!!

I have two cheaper rain proof garments: a sort of plasticised adidas thingy and an altura jacket for cycling. The latter has vents, but even just walking the dogs I tend to perspire, so I am almost no drier by the end: I handle the cold better than any heat. With the adidas one, moisture is running down the sleeves!

So a poncho would mean any of my clothes would be waterproof, regardless of layers worn whilst still having good ventilation if it is even remotely warm: all in a packet the size of a tennis ball.

Just seems a more practical solution and is practical for camping, too.
lostinthewilderness

Re: Fjäll Räven: any good?

Post by lostinthewilderness »

Hi
I've been using Fjall Raven for some time now. Its very good gear. Mostly i use their clothing as i was until recently working outdoors a lot. It can be difficult to get hold of, but the best UK supplier is www.tamarackoutdoors.com (.co.uk?)
They stock a whole host of nordic outdoor gear, as ever, some is useful, and some isnt!

I can reccomend Helsport tents. I ve used one for work as a mountain guide and it's been brilliant. (Ringstid 1)

Cheers
Matt
lostinthewilderness

[quote="Warthog" post=5027

I have two cheaper rain proof garments: a sort of plasticised adidas thingy and an altura jacket for cycling. The latter has vents, but even just walking the dogs I tend to perspire, so I am almost no drier by the end: I handle the cold better than any heat. With the adidas one, moisture is running down the sleeves!

You should try looking at some of the single layer gear like Montane. A british company. Its great gear. It looks counter intuitive but it really works. The extrememjacket is the one to go for.

Cheers
Matt
iainnic

Post by iainnic »

Yip - this is excellent kit. I use it and its extremely well made, lasts well, but does cost that bit more.

Tamarack (www.tamarack.co.uk) stock a very good stock of the clothing and other odds and sods. Shop is worth a visit. Mountain Factor in Ambleside have started stocking the kit too.

Iain
-------------------------------------------

"Anne" - GSA 1200 30 Year Colours

"Rosie" - F650GS .... in red !
Nicoli

Post by Nicoli »

Just to point out.

If it's soley for keeping rain off (which let's face it, a poncho is).

I've got an army surplus DPM poncho that has all the same attributes as the one above (hood, drawstring, peg holes) and cost me about £6.

Might not be the same hi-tec material...but its kept me dry in many a rainstorm.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Thiss is spooky only thinking about buying one last night, not a lot of people talk about them any more. They sold loads whilst I was in Japan, I wished I had bought one, keep it in a pannier whip it out when you need one. cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
lostinthewilderness

mountain factor in Ambleside is brilliant for well priced Patagonia gear, which as we all know is excellent stuff.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”