BMW GS OBD/Service Reset tool?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Paul C

BMW GS OBD/Service Reset tool?

Post by Paul C »

Hi all,

Following on from the "do you do your own servicing" thread, I'm currently waiting for the oil to drain from my bike. While I'm waiting I thought I'd ask a favour:

Does anyone have a GS-911, who's not a million miles away from me, and would be willing to let me borrow it for a weekend? I'd really appreciate it! Or indeed, does anyone know a trick for resetting the Service Indicator? The old paper-clip trick doesn't work on bikes.

I'm going to have to ignore the nag indicator for now. I'm saving up to get my own GS-911 but it'll take a while; they're about £300! :angry: But at least I'll have it for future use.

I know the BMW bikes use the K-line protocol for reading DTCs off the OBD but they also use an extended code set that they obviously don't publish. I discovered that my bike has zero DTCs :woohoo: by jumping connections from a £50 iphone OBD adpator to the OBD connector under the seat.

For those that are interested:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/golink/id351684879?mt=8
http://gopointtech.com/products/gl1/
(I have no affiliation)

If I could just get hold of the codes :evil:

Anyhoo, a loaner would be very much appreciated, hell, you could just plug it in and do the deed while-u-wait (I understand someone not wanting to leave it). They'd be a cup of tea and a biscuit or two in it for you ;)
...I just want to ride!
scouse

Re: BMW GS OBD/Service Reset tool?

Post by scouse »

Anything GS related always start looking here first...

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170654
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Britmech

Post by Britmech »

Whats your location ?
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

Hi Britmech,

I'm about 20 miles SE of Cambridge, in Haverhill. I got my local tyre/service place to reset it while I was getting a new rear tyre on Friday. Cost me £20.

Do you have a GS-911 then? Would you recommend it? Just checked your profile; I guess you've got, or at least got access to, a proper set of diagnostic tools?

Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer.
...I just want to ride!
Britmech

Post by Britmech »

Hi
Yes I have got a GS-911 ( mine is limited to 10 vins) and work has the PRO one too,a very good tool.
And it can only get better with the development that the guys a Hexcode do.
If you get a chance get one new or second hand if your keeping your BM.
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

Yep, planning to keep my bike until it's uneconomical to keep fixing up (quite some years hopefully), so I think it would be a good investment. PM'd to too :)

Cheers!
...I just want to ride!
john_aero

Post by john_aero »

i have one and they are great job

Return to “TECHNICAL”