Preping the bike for winter

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
MarkN

Re: Preping the bike for winter

Post by MarkN »

Loggy, spray it on all metal work (apart from discs) spray it on all electrical connections and put some on a flannel and rub it into all your brake banjo connectors etc. Spray all the engine in it too, the salt will sit on it but won't get through. If you wash your bike, spray it on again. A tin normally lasts me a year. It's worth the money and protects the bike. If you have any rust on the bike, spray or rub some ACF50 into and it'll stop it dead.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Loggy wrote:Got a tin of ACF50 from work. What things do you cover it in, I mean you wouldn't do all the bodywork would you? Engine, frame, forks etc. Does the dirt stick to it?
Essentially most of the bike with the exception of the brakes. It is a horrible sticky mess (which I am sure you have now found out) that stiffens when the propellant dries off. It does not set like Waxoyl. The idea is to get into the places that you cannot easily get to to clean. Depending upon how you want your bike to look, you may want to spray just about all of it and wipe off the excess and bits that you are likely to touch. It is very good at sealing electrics so concentrate on them. Spokes are an issue. If you want to spray them, romove your pads first as you will almost certainly hit the discs. once done and eccess is removed you can clean your disks with Gunk or similar and replace the pads. Bear in mnd that on the hubs, any excess will creep away from the hubs when using the bike (due to centrifugal force) and may still end up on your disks.
It does collect crap real bad and it is a matter for yourself if you can live with it until they stop salting the roads. I do and I know a lot of others that do too. Its just easier and gives you peace of (a dirty !) mind.
Under the tank and hidden behind mud guards are favourite places for salt rust.

Good luck
Loggy

Post by Loggy »

Cheers guys. Will apply to bike when I'm back on it after my op.
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
ktmpedro220

Preping the bike for winter

Post by ktmpedro220 »

Yeah. I'm going to give mine a good wash and dry, then unleash the manic spraying frenzy!! Lol!
Roadcaptain

Post by Roadcaptain »

I am booked in at AYB friday morning, no brainer for me as ride everyday through winter
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

Old Git Ray wrote:
Loggy wrote:Got a tin of ACF50 from work. What things do you cover it in, I mean you wouldn't do all the bodywork would you? Engine, frame, forks etc. Does the dirt stick to it?
Essentially most of the bike with the exception of the brakes. It is a horrible sticky mess (which I am sure you have now found out) that stiffens when the propellant dries off. It does not set like Waxoyl. The idea is to get into the places that you cannot easily get to to clean. Depending upon how you want your bike to look, you may want to spray just about all of it and wipe off the excess and bits that you are likely to touch. It is very good at sealing electrics so concentrate on them. Spokes are an issue. If you want to spray them, romove your pads first as you will almost certainly hit the discs. once done and eccess is removed you can clean your disks with Gunk or similar and replace the pads. Bear in mnd that on the hubs, any excess will creep away from the hubs when using the bike (due to centrifugal force) and may still end up on your disks.
It does collect crap real bad and it is a matter for yourself if you can live with it until they stop salting the roads. I do and I know a lot of others that do too. Its just easier and gives you peace of (a dirty !) mind.
Under the tank and hidden behind mud guards are favourite places for salt rust.

Good luck
For the spokes, I found an easier option is to spray a little into the cap and brush it on. It takes less time than removing the pads etc., unless you are planning to overhaul the brakes anyway.

Jon

Return to “TECHNICAL”