Peak District Green Lanes Suitable for KTM 950 Adventure

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
bumblebeemer

Peak District Green Lanes Suitable for KTM 950 Adventure

Post by bumblebeemer »

Never been to the Peak District but fancy doing some green lanes up there.I have ridden my KTM in Salisbury, Thetford and local (Hertfordshire) green lanes.

I am after some routes ( ideally GPS ones but names of lanes / towns would do) that would be suitable for big adventure bikes .

Any help would be appreciated.
Rhys

Re: Peak District Green Lanes Suitable for KTM 950 Adventure

Post by Rhys »

All of them are suitable for big adventure bikes :) (tricky on some lanes but no probs). im sure someone will be along with a gpx
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

To be honest, it depends on many variables:

1) How good a rider are you

2) What's the weather and ground conditions like

3) Are you on your own, or in a group

4) What tyres are on the bike?

If I were you, I'd join the TRF, and get into contact with one of the many groups that ride in the Peak District.

Not only will you get lots of practical advice, you will also have the opportunity to ride with other members, and enjoy all the other benefits like updates on the legal status of lanes, legal support etc.

www.trf.org.uk

Good luck and have fun!
bumblebeemer

Post by bumblebeemer »

Been riding green lanes for 10 years mainly on DRZ's. Have knobblies on the KTM. I am in a small group aiming to go to the Peak District on 28th September for a weekend trip. We are members of the TRF for Herts however we can only get up there on the 28th so waiting for a ride out with the local TRF is not an option.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

bumblebeemer wrote: Been riding green lanes for 10 years mainly on DRZ's. Have knobblies on the KTM. I am in a small group aiming to go to the Peak District on 28th September for a weekend trip. We are members of the TRF for Herts however we can only get up there on the 28th so waiting for a ride out with the local TRF is not an option.
You will have no problem on any of the green lanes in the peak district, I can't think of any that are unsuitable for big bikes. I don't have any gpx routes to hand though sorry.
skygod

Post by skygod »

Let me know when you plan on coming up and I will happily take you out for the day. :)
The great philosopher Keating once said:

"Life`s a roller coaster, you just have to ride it".
andymac

Post by andymac »

i would like to see a big trailie go up/down stanage edge or over 3 shires, lol
work hard,,,,,,,,,,,play harder !!
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

andymac wrote: i would like to see a big trailie go up/down stanage edge or over 3 shires, lol
Multiple people on here have done it, have a look at the peak district ride reports.

I wouldn't want to try it on something as big as a 1200gs though.... If thats classified as a big trailie.
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

andymac wrote:i would like to see a big trailie go up/down stanage edge or over 3 shires, lol
These are not problems on 950's as long as you are confident. Ups obviously harder. 3 shires is fairly straightforward in both directions.

All trails in the Peaks can be ridden on a 950 except Tenterhill in one direction (one way is possible, the other would be a real struggle) and Hollinsclough A up snd down. Hollisclough B is tough downhill and extremely difficult uphill (need a few people to push and shove uphill even on the small trailies).

Rest Id say are OK with experience which you have. Enjoy. As Husabang says check out the old ride reports for pics etc.
wayne roome

Post by wayne roome »

Bumblebeemer, check your email please!

Return to “TRAVEL”