'Gatecrasher' a Klim Twins Peaks report!

Where you've been and what you done
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

No,no not THAT Gatecrasher!
No Pendulum, Carl Cox, David Guetta here,just Phil'90's new username!
Another start point at Jellys 'Yonderman' Cafe for the Peaks finest breakfast.
Just myself and the DRZ Kid, Phil90(bike notibly wearing a new headlamp cowling)turned up so we knew it would be fast and furious without having to stop for cigarette breaks or cake breaks (felco :whistle: )
First lanes were in and around Eyam then we headed over to Brough Clough where we had a stop on the top for a photo.
Phil90 bike minding.

Toward the bottom the 400 felt the need to take a breather in the hedge :whistle: Once at 90deg and not 45deg we finished at the bottom to catch Phil coming down on the mighty Dakar DRZ :P

Next up was Pindale Quarry. We both got to the top hailing that we had a personal best attempt. Either the trail is getting easier or we are improving :woohoo:
Across the road to Dirtlow Rake.
Passed a stopped Phil and shouted I'd go on ahead to take a photo. Stopped at the gate , propped the 400 up and stood and waited.
The mighty DRZ came over the brow going like a Dakar bike, bounced through the puddle way too quick for the camera :blush:
well I caught his 'spray' :laugh:

Unfortuately whilst posing for the camera Phil failed to see the closed metal gate.
Well... the now open gate with DRZ and rider on the floor :unsure:
Phil got up and staggered to the brick wall holding his shoulder and mumbling something about a lump :woohoo:
Picking up the heffer DRZ and retrieving scattered satnav equipment I then realised he was
probably in pain.
Time to call 999...or not. No signal! So 112... a signal, a few words then no signal .
Phil now not looking good and wanting to lie down before he keeled over :unsure:
Eventually I managed to get a longer signal with 112 all fine until they asked where we are. I asked 'doesn't my mobile not give you a trace' . 'Well yes but its the middle of nowhere'
'No...really, thats because we are! '
Couldnt get Phil's Zumo to give a GPS Co-ord and as luck would have a pair of MTBers cycled up and gave the co-ords off their GPS.
Still...but its on a track. 'errr yes', 'oh, but wheres it near' I tried expalining(At this point I nearly used the stonewall to bang my head against)
They asked for reason for phoning then put me through to who I think was Edale Mountain Rescue who knew exactly where I was... then no signal. FFS :blink:
20 mins later the paramedic arrived in his 4x4. The guy was great, got straight to work asking Phil all the right things then used a few stones to keep the shoulder propped
A few minutes after two gents from Edale MR arrived one being Matt who is a fellow ABR forumite. They set to helping the paramedic bringing out blankets to keep the old boy warm.
A decision was taken by the paramedic that Phil was too unstable ( I knew that BEFORE the ride) to take in the 4x4 as he had started mentioning a sore neck so the Air Ambulance was summoned.

The yellow taxi arriveth!

Nice parking Mister!

Now there was plenty of help we thanked and bid goodbye to the two MTBers without them we would probably still be directing the ambulance service up there :laugh:
As chance had it a group of three bikers came along and offered assistance. One took Phils bike back to Hope garage for me to collect whilst his friend followed and gave him a pillion back.
Poor bloke had to push the Heffer a way as the battery had flattened and he needed a hill to bump start her :laugh: I think we nearly had two casualties for the Air Ambulance :laugh:
At this point another two Edale MR vehicles came up to join the party.
With Phil 'Collared' and loaded onto the spinal board off the emergency crew trekked to load him into the helicopter.
Just as well we hadn't stopped for cake or else we would of needed another person on the board carrying too :P :whistle:

Locked in and loaded and off to Sheffield Northern General

A couple of the bikers who stopped and helped.

With Phil now safely away I had the logistics of bike transportation to deal with.
Rode back to the Yonderman to collect my trailer. A huge thanks to Mr and Mrs Jelly for allowing me to keep my bike in the compound whilst I retrieved Phils.
Back to Hope to load Phil's bike admirably helped by a groups of guys who had passed us up on the moors. Thankyou :) Also the pair of MTBers who had been so helpful came pass and asked after Phil. Then over to Edale MR in Pindale Cement works to pick up some of Phils belongings.
Times like these you realise that there are some good people in the world :)
So with AckAck's advice of dont drive to Barnsley across The Strines... I did just that :laugh: Lovely road, though not really with an estate car with a bike and trailer bouncing behind :laugh:
AckAck kindly met me at Phils to help unload the bike with help from Junior Phil90, who informed us that Dad was ok but sore ...phew.
Headed back via a Costa to the Yonderman to load my bike and drive the 110 miles back to South Northants!

First of all a huge thanks to the wonderful paramedic who was superb, yes I know thats his job but this wasn't someone in suburbia tripping over a curb with a twisted ankle.
Thanks also to Matt (inthepeak on this forum) and the guys from the Edale Mountain rescue , who did just that.
The Air Ambulance crew, who were thorough and reassuring.
Most of all to the father and daughter(?) MTBers and Craig and his friends on the dirtbikes.
Without these guys things could of been far worse, not just helping the Emergency services getting to us but the safety of Phils pride and joy as well.
Phil will no doubt be on at some point to add more to this.
thankfully he rung as I was driving back to inform me he had arrived home happy on Morphine.
Prognosis, a dislocated Collar Bone (popped in and out) and damaged ligaments, could of been far worse. :blink:
Speedy recovery Phil :)
A very big thankyou to you all...the beers on Phil !! :laugh: :P :P :whistle:

A final note.
My last memory of Phil was his desperate plea of' Don't you cut my Badlands jacket' :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
A true dirtbiker... Phil I salute you B)

I would like to add the gate wasn't too harmed in the incident but there is a Phil indent that may make closing a bit awkward :laugh:
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
Tyrant68

Re: 'Gatecrasher' a Klim Twins Peaks report!

Post by Tyrant68 »

PS, I'm a div!
Could a mod kindly move this out of 'Welcome newbie' to 'Ride Reports'

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

AckAckFlack

Post by AckAckFlack »

An exciting day out you two.
When I got the txt to say phil was injured my thoughts where as follows
1 bet he was posing for the camera... He always falls when there is a camera about.

2 hope he hasn't damaged that new Klim jacket

3 His wife's gonna kill him

4 Hope he's ok

Hehhehehe

Seriously though it just shows how easy it is to come a cropper out there and how it's Important to ride with at least one other person (both Tyrant and I have done that trail on our own before)

Stirling work Tyrant at getting things sorted. Fantastic work Derbyshire services.

As Phil is going to be at home for a while I am taking both bikes up to his house with a couple of tooth brushes to clean them.

Speedy recovery phil (aka GateCrasher phil90)
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Great report An.

Speedy recovery Phil, lets get you back out on those trails ASAP. Good to know the mountain rescue service is only a phone call away for injured trail riders.
desertraider

Post by desertraider »

cool day and a ride in a helo
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

Phew, I'm glad the injuries weren't serious and everything turned out well B)
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Very exciting Report , glad Phil is Ok .

And you are the Hero as well Tyrant68, well done for keeping cool and doing the needful ..

LWR
NDC.

Post by NDC. »

Nice report & photos An. Just doing the report on Wales from yesterday and I don't think it will be as eventful as yours. (Was Nearly)
Get well soon Phil and don't forget ya out Sunday wiv the lad's :ohmy:

You Tube Xtra Rough Road Channel

Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

LargeWayRound wrote:Very exciting Report , glad Phil is Ok .

And you are the Hero as well Tyrant68, well done for keeping cool and doing the needful ..

LWR
Thanks LWR.
I think my 'cool' started to evaporate along with the emergency signal on THREE phones.
Why in this day and age where technology is so important can you not get a phone signal to an emergency sevice in the United Kingdom.
Always thought 112 was supposed to be the most bulletproof.

Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”