Up periscope! Wet tales from the Peaks.

Where you've been and what you done
Tyrant68

Up periscope! Wet tales from the Peaks.

Post by Tyrant68 »

I thought a nice road ride with a couple of easy lanes would break me in around the Peaks on the 640.
Unknown to me it happened to coincide with quite possibly the wettest day of the year.
Couple of the usual suspects. AckAckFlack and 'Phil,I'm cold/wet/tired/repeat/ 90'.
We met at the Yonderman for Jellies finest Gastro breakfast. Being a lightweight (and jack all left on my knobblies) I opted for the trailering up option from Northants.

Clean KTM last night.

Phil already drowned from the ride over from Barnsley proceeded to drown the floor of the cafe , resulting in Mrs Jelly chasing him out with a mop :P
Unloaded and off we did the short trek to the first lane. AckAck was in charge of route planning so he'll tell you the name.
A mix of gravel, rock and water!
Next on to a fast chalky/ gravel lane and then cherpit. I really dont like that lane for some reason, the Ramblers are welcome to it :laugh:
Next lane was photo opportunity time.
Ack Ack seen sporting my camera and giving it its first drowning of the day.

Yours truly

Ack Ack

Phil90

Onward to Rowlands, everyone's favourite puddle lane!

AckAck

Phil90

Yours truly (Thanks AckAck :) )

Up periscope!

To be continued...
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
felco

Re: Up periscope!

Post by felco »

Really good pictures,really good! MORE!
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Five minute break at the top of Rowland to put the camera(now sodden) away and for Phil to wring himself out :laugh:

Headed to Monsal for a stop at the beauty spot and sit and listen to Phils tirade of moaning (its on video!)
I think we then headed into Buxton for lunch.
There can be only one...

Usually you get a leaf or heart on a 'flat white' but in Buxton they employ artistes B)

Broke my heart to drink it :laugh:

Next on to Brough Clough. This would be a test for me and the 640!
Never been up this one, only down. Very rocky(and house bricky) at the start. About a quarter of the way up I chanced upon an abandoned Africa Twin leaning to one side :whistle: Sadly this left me stranded on the rocks but with a little pushing and grunting from my favourite Lancastrian I was once again on my way. B) :laugh:
Note to self...power on through the sand may stop front wheel wash outs :laugh:
Along the top of Pindale (can't remember the correct name!) was more river riding than trailriding :laugh:

At the end

Few more lanes then back to the Yonderman to load up.

Big thanks to AckAckFlack and Phil90 for laughs and comradeship :P
A few from Gary. Have more on the phone but the cats have hidden the transfer cable :whistle:

Start of Rowlands

Damper than usual lady Bower Reservoir

Souvenir

Mr Happy :laugh: :P

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

AckAckFlack pond bombing

AckAckFlack

Re: Up periscope! Wet tales from the Peaks.

Post by AckAckFlack »

Thanks for a great day out Tyrant68 And thanks Phil90 for a great run between the peaks and home - despite my fastest riding I couldn't shake him- could always hear him - I'm cold and wet ! ;-) Was also great to play with a Dslr camera worth a fortune and not worry about damaging it as it wasn't mine ;-) It really was a wet day so much so I think I can only remember seeing one other bike out there! Here is another version of the pond bombing Africa Twin Stylie Thanks again for the great day out
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Brilliant pics people..strange how when the weather is bad we havwe the most fun on the trails..ha ha

nice to see people enjoying themselves...and Phil get spme gortex long socks they really do work..
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Great stuff Tyrant and crew
phil90

Post by phil90 »

Thanks An, Gary for a great day. Sorry about all the moaning but I was really cold and really wet. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good trails and Gary thanks for leading. Don't worry about slowing me down. It was good to practice my slow control on the trails. :P :P

An, we had some fun but sadly on the ride home you missed one of the best river runs I have ever had. A truly heart stopping moment. A normal hard packed trail that had turned into a swollen river lasting approx half mile with no way of turning round and if you had stopped it would of been game over. Great stuff. :) :)

Tramp wrote:Brilliant pics people..strange how when the weather is bad we havwe the most fun on the trails..ha ha

nice to see people enjoying themselves...and Phil get spme gortex long socks they really do work..

Got the gortex socks but unfortunately they where filling up from the top. Was tempted to cut a hole in the bottom to let the water out but somehow didn't think it was a god idea. :)
------ Dress for the slide, not the ride -------
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

phil90 wrote:Thanks An, Gary for a great day. Sorry about all the moaning but I was really cold and really wet. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good trails and Gary thanks for leading. Don't worry about slowing me down. It was good to practice my slow control on the trails. :P :P

An, we had some fun but sadly on the ride home you missed one of the best river runs I have ever had. A truly heart stopping moment. A normal hard packed trail that had turned into a swollen river lasting approx half mile with no way of turning round and if you had stopped it would of been game over. Great stuff. :) :)

Tramp wrote:Brilliant pics people..strange how when the weather is bad we havwe the most fun on the trails..ha ha

Got the gortex socks but unfortunately they where filling up from the top. Was tempted to cut a hole in the bottom to let the water out but somehow didn't think it was a god idea. :)
Phil, I really felt for you. You started the ride soggy :laugh:
Not a good promomtion for the W2 boots especially as I was looking at a pair of the adv ones.
I'll email the hi-res versions of he photos over later.

phil90

Post by phil90 »

Tyrant68 wrote:
phil90 wrote:Thanks An, Gary for a great day. Sorry about all the moaning but I was really cold and really wet. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Phil, I really felt for you. You started the ride soggy :laugh:
Not a good promomtion for the W2 boots especially as I was looking at a pair of the adv ones.
I'll email the hi-res versions of he photos over later.
Don't let the picture put you off the w2's. I'd still recommend them to anybody. They are just not waterproof. I haven't really had a problem before and they've had some abuse. I just think yesterday was a very extreme "wet" day.

Thanks for pictures. :) :)
------ Dress for the slide, not the ride -------

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”