any tips please

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Gripper1974

Re: any tips please

Post by Gripper1974 »

Dont just target mackrel mate, as a sea food lover I'd say EAT WHAT EVER YOU CATCH :woohoo:
cocker

Post by cocker »

if your fishing from the beach/rocks then silver spinners/lures will probably be bestThere are so many lures on the market now it's very confusing which one to get. The job of spinning is an easy one. You attach a snap swivel on the line then the lure to the end of that. Then you're ready to go. The one lure that is mentioned time and time again for mackerel is the Dexter Wedge which is shown here:
31-60EiNpnL._SS500_.jpg
31-60EiNpnL._SS500_.jpg (13.44 KiB) Viewed 991 times

[The dexter wedge is a great lure for catching mackerel and bass]

This lure has been around a long time and is a well established mackerel and bass lure. There are a few sizes but my advice is if you're fishing from the shore don't go too big. Even the smallest of dexter wedges can catch some mighty fish.

Once you cast out there are a few ways of reeling the lure back in and it's really up to you to experiment to find the one that works for you. The few more common methods are as follows:

1. The big long pull

Once you have a tight line after casting you simply pull the rod back in one continuous motion while keeping it at waist height. You then move the rod forward again whilst reeling in the slack. You then repeat. You will probably make 3 or 4 complete turns on the reel when you do this.

You can also pull back the rod from ground level to above your head. The first way keeps the lure at pretty much the same depth while the down-up motion will raise the lure in the water. I prefer the first method but choose which suits you.

2. The short sharp twitch

Once you have a tight line after casting you keep the rod tip low down and give small gentle pulls on the rod while slowly reeling in the line. By small movements I mean around half an arms length at a time. This is a good method for lures with rattles.

3. The delayed reaction

Once you've cast out and you've tightened the line keep the rod still and give the reel a few turns so the lure moves a couple of metres and then pause for a few seconds (4 to 8 is good). Then keep repeating this process.

have fun

cocker
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

look out for diving gulls gannets-sign of shoal of fish present. Agree with the lure mentioned-good weight to get as long a cast as possible.

Tight lines
moto al

Post by moto al »

Gripper1974 wrote:Dont just target mackrel mate, as a sea food lover I'd say EAT WHAT EVER YOU CATCH :woohoo:
thanks again lad,s but i dont fancy eating
DSC02511.JPG
DSC02511.JPG (147.02 KiB) Viewed 991 times
sammy seal??????
moto al
cocker

Post by cocker »

i have seen many many times, hooked mackerel being reeled in, and then a seal come and rip them off and snap the line, especially from deeper water around piers jettys harbours etc, so in all seriousness keep an eye out for seals, whilst lure fishing.
peterekins

Post by peterekins »

moto al wrote:
peterekins wrote:If your fishing for maceral, get a boat..
cheers , & thanks lads for info.re peterkins,what bike can you carry a boat on!!! only kidding . al
An XJR1300, easy, if I leave our lass behind..LOL..non taken

Return to “TRAVEL”