Metal Panniers for 800gs

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Marco46

Metal Panniers for 800gs

Post by Marco46 »

Getting more and more confused. What with a few trips in the pipeline for 2011, i am looking to get me a set of ally panniers. Touratech ones look great, but a few people say they are not that stong. Same for Traxs. Metal mule are so darn expensive, but i have been told they are the best. BMW ones, mmmmm not sure...Any ideas..
bunker

Re: Metal Panniers for 800gs

Post by bunker »

There's a metal panniers review in ABR Issue 3 (i think) if you can hang on till the New Year ;)
Triumph Tiger 885
VR_Rider

Post by VR_Rider »

Waiting for the article in ABR next year will no doubt help you! I can say though go for the best pannier you can afford. I have stahlkoffer panniers at the moment and wished I'd saved up that bit more cash and gone for the mules. There Ute set is only around £900. Worth a look!

Cheers, and have a good xmas! :)
davsato

Post by davsato »

only
Dave
Marco46

Post by Marco46 »

Everyone I speak to says that the Mules are the best if you can go to that price..A friend had a high speed off on his f800gs with the Mules, and they weren't badly trashed, but certainly acted as a crash bar and saved the bike.
doctorzippy

Post by doctorzippy »

Marco46 wrote:Everyone I speak to says that the Mules are the best if you can go to that price..A friend had a high speed off on his f800gs with the Mules, and they weren't badly trashed, but certainly acted as a crash bar and saved the bike.
I did the Trans-Americas trip last year, from Alaska to Argentina and had a 2nd hand pair of Touratech Zegas fitted, which split at the mounting points, so I'd not recommend them. There were guys on the trip with BMW panniers (the latest ones) and the new TT Zega Pros, all of which leaked (they had to buy waterproof inner bags!). There were 3 bikes fitted with Metal Mules, all of which survived intact and didn't leak - and one of those bikes was the most dropped on the trip! B)

I was so impressed with the Mules that I bought a set for my new F800GS as soon as I got back, and pannier racks for the 1150 so I can fit them to that too. Was damned expensive, though! :blush:

Only problem I now have is all my fancy stickers are on a set of panniers I can't use :blink:
Life is a journey, not a destination
Pussyhorse

Post by Pussyhorse »

I had a metal mule top box on my old 1150GSA. Lovely bit of kit. Very well made. Sadly it got killed, scooped up and skipped with the rest of the bike. :o/

Toying with buying a full set of MM stuff for my current 1150GSA.
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

If you go to a descent metal work shop, they will custom build you a pair of boxes for a fraction of the cost of a set with a brand on.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”