Antifog options, please: but not Fog City

The essential art of farkling.
Warthog

Re: Antifog options, please: but not Fog City

Post by Warthog »

Nomad wrote:or get another helmet for the winter ;)
Unfortunately, it is my winter helmet: MX lid for summer.
Pinlock looks good, but not for my lid...

Rain-Ex it is then....

In the mean time, I may try Mercar polish: water should bead nicely, if nothing else...
Breva

Post by Breva »

Before you rush out and buy rainx read the instructions,it does say do not use on plastics, treated or coated surfaces and as I understood it some visors have a scratch proof coating on them and the ingredients make for scary reading aswel. I am sure members will say they have been using this product for years with no problems and I am sure they have but if you google this product you will find people have had their visors ruined ,its your money your visor.
r100gser

Post by r100gser »

i use bob heath anti mist spray it's cheap, and for me, it works
herman

Post by herman »

The old wives tale is cut a potato in half and wipe it over. Never tried it myself as I find a scarf over the nose and a slightly open visor works for me,but then its probably bloody cold where you are .
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

herman wrote:The old wives tale is cut a potato in half and wipe it over. Never tried it myself as I find a scarf over the nose and a slightly open visor works for me,but then its probably bloody cold where you are .
Saliva is also supposed to work, al al divers yoking on their masks, like you never tried it, and to be fair a green grolly might impare ones vision :P
While on the subject, arguably one of my favourite helmets a Suomy race rep couln't lock in the partialy open position, so I made an opening device out of a piece of garden hose about an inch long with one side sloted so it fitted over the seal, worked an absolute treat, just open enough to keep the visor clear, but not allow the weather in.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
africajim

Post by africajim »

+1 for Bob Heath, been using it for yrs.
Honda, the power of dreams.
Greg

Post by Greg »

A smear of diluted washing up liquid helps, wipe it on then let it dry a little before a last gentle wipe ... it will last a while before breaking down and fogging up but it's very effective up to that point. I spent £4.00 on one of those pink waxy things from the bike show last year - just as well I didn't go for the '6 for £20.00' offer cos they're shite...

Pinlocks are great, Rain-ex or Fog-ex can strip off some anti-scratch coatings ...

I am a wearer of glasses so have to peer through 2 layers of fogginess sometimes - with the pinlock the visor is usually ok but the specs are fogged to fuk...

G
AckAckFlack

Post by AckAckFlack »

As an sports vision optician I have tried all of the solutions out there from waxes to cloths etc

For helmet visors which are polycarbonate the outer surface is best with rainx

For the inner surface q pinlock is the best option - it far outways the solution option because it stops the lens outer surface cooling the innersurface leading to fogging.
If you can't fit a pinlock then using one of the solutions out there (including neat concentrated washig up liquid ) the key to it is that you useit several times before using the helmet.
Start by spreading the anti fog solution over the surface and leave to completely soak the surface. Then buff off with a clean lint free cloth.
Leave the surface to completely dry before redoing the above again.

One other tip (learnt this from diving) try to keep the helmet in a cool area before you wear it. The nearer the temperature of the helmet to the atmosphere you are riding in the better. If the visor is much hotter than the riding atmosphere then it will cool rapidly initially and will lead to fogging more.
My favourite anti fog is the muc-off one which costs around £8.50

Remember All of the anti fog solutions only work when you use it :)
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'

Return to “ACCESSORIES”