First time to Morocco, Ceuta or Tangiers?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Minglis

Re: First time to Morocco, Ceuta or Tangiers?

Post by Minglis »

Hi Paul, I have been to Morocco 4 times and always left Spain via Almeria. You can arrive in Nador which is Moroccan and chaos or Mellia which is Spanish. The advantage of Ciuta or Mellia is that you come off the ferry still in spain so there is no rush to get to the border. There is plenty of time to have breakfast and head at leisure. The 3 times i used Mellia the crossing took about 45 minuits.
Minglis

Post by Minglis »

By crossing I mean the border not the ferry! Sorry
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thanks for all the feedback. I am sold on the idea of a ferry to Cueta, shorter, cheaper and less hassle, why did I start thinking about Maria when I typed that :laugh:
I am going to take my tent and basic camping kit, a bit of wild camping will make the trip more of an adventure.

Roll on april.............

Cheers,
Paul
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Paul, It's a fast cat, only takes 35 minutes, comfortable too. Here's a tip for you. When you get into the ferry port in Algeciras various scruffy gits will try to flag you down to "show you the way" to the ferry (for money of course). Just ignore them because you will have this in your GPS

36° 7'47.69"N
5°26'23.47"W
Paul

Post by Paul »

Mike54 wrote:Paul, It's a fast cat, only takes 35 minutes, comfortable too. Here's a tip for you. When you get into the ferry port in Algeciras various scruffy gits will try to flag you down to "show you the way" to the ferry (for money of course). Just ignore them because you will have this in your GPS

36° 7'47.69"N
5°26'23.47"W
Cheers Mike :)
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

No problem. Have fun. I'll be there from the 3rd to the 18th so depending on your schedule our paths may cross.
guyinthejungle

Post by guyinthejungle »

Hi all,

I've been through been both Tangier Med and Cueta several times.

First tip is to buy tickets for the ferry from Carlos' by the Marjane supermarket. He is considerably cheaper than at the port, check the Hubb for more details. Last year with my 4x4 (plus bike on a trailer) we saved 120 Euros.

Before you go:

Regardless of port before you go I would recommend going onto the Moroccan customs website (search on the UKGSER website for more details and guidance on how to fill it in) and fill in the D16TER vehicle importation documents. It reduces the hassle at the port. (If you buy from Carlos - he (or his daughter) will fill in the forms for you).

At both ports the process is simple - you need to book yourself in, it is a simple form (which you can get at the terminal or on board) once booked in your passport will be stamped with a unique number (known as a CIN). Once this is completed, you enter the CIN onto the D16TER form. On the fast ferries to Tangier Med they now have customs officials in the lounge who will book you in before you even get off the ferry.

The ports:

Cueta - mad as a box of frogs, but a great experience. Very easy once you know where to go and what you are doing. There are two rows of booths, go to the front one for the CIN. The one behind for the vehcile importation. You will get elbows and queue jumping, but enjoy... You will get touts trying to get money off you for 'helping' you through the system. Ignore them, all they will do is get you the forms and take you to x2 booths. The main downside of Cueta is that there is no facility to buy insurance or cash point. The nearest town to get insurance is Fnideq or Tetouan, (ask for Wafa insurance). I haven't had any problems getting through without insurance as long as you tell them that you are going to get some in the next town.Important to note that as Ceuta is Spanish it remains on Spanish time, which can be up to 2 hours different to Moroccan time. I nearly didn't get my ferry one year as I missed the time difference.

Tangier Med - souless but highly efficient and quick. Importantly they have an insurance booth and cash point in the terminal building. It also links better to the motorway network. Allow more time for the return journey as your subject to inspections before you leave (if you have a 4x4 you have to put it through an X ray machine).

Chris Scotts book 'Morocco Overland' has sketch maps and some more details.
You will need money to go on the motorway network. I have always just used my card in the machines and had no problems. Do tell your bank before you go.

Personal view on which port to go through - tangier med, as it gets you into Morocco quicker and less hassle for money and insurance.

I would highly recommend going to Chechaouan for your first experience of Morocco if you haven't been before...

Return to “TRAVEL”