Adventure ride on the way to Ullapool.

raymo

Re: Adventure ride on the way to Ullapool.

Post by raymo »

Steve T wrote:Austin,

Have a great time on your southern sojourn and make us all jealous on your return with lot's of pics ;)

Both of you take care and come back with stories.

Steve T

B)
+1

and hopefully those legendary organisational skills will hatch another great adventure :-)
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

AustinW wrote:Going on this little trip so far is:
Me
Ian Biggar
Raymo
Bimbler (XRV member)

Only a couple of places left for the bothy.
I am now back from from my long trip around southern africa and need to start the planning of this trip. I will be reconfirming that we can still stay at the bothy on Jura - not that I think there's a problem, just that it is months since I spoke to the owner and I did say I would be be in touch from time to time.

I think I can also add XT6 (Andrew) from the XRV.org forum who is probably coming on this little jolly but not travelling onto Ullapool.

In the meantime I would be grateful if you could each confirm:
A. Attendance.
B. Any preferences for the overnights on Islay and back on the mainland.
Options are:
Islay:
(1) campsite at Kintra . The campsite would seem to do B&B too. Drawback is it will be dark when we get there and there is no pub (or anything really) in walking distance. On the upside it is a stunning location and relatively cheap.
(2) Scottish Youth Hostel Association in Port Charlotte. http://www.syha.org.uk/hostels-in-scotl ... islay.aspx Advantages: in a small town so pubs and stuff on hand, cheap(ish) - about £18 pppn, warm and dry, communal space for the evening; disadvantages: probably in dorm rooms (beware the snorer amongst us); probably need to book and pay in advance.
(3) Any one of a number of B&Bs or Hotels on Islay. Th problem here is likely to be finding a reasonably priced B&B or hotel that can take us all.
Mainland:
(4) Campsite at Machrihanish This campsite also has wooden "wigwams" that I suspect will be vacant if the weather is, umm, scottish.
(5)Inveraray Youth Hostel.
(6) Any one of a number of B&Bs or Hotels on the Mull of Kintyre. The problem here is likely to be finding a reasonably priced B&B or hotel that can take us all.

My preference is for the Youth Hostels or camping.

C. Which way you would prefer to travel from the mainland (probably wont apply to Raymo). Options are CalMac Island Hopscotch 16 taking in Arran (briefly); or Cowal Peninsular (Gourock to Dunoon and Portavadie to Tarbet). Cost wise the Cowal route is cheaper in ferry fee but both involve 2 ferries although the Cowal one's are more frequent and are turn up and pay, but for those coming from the South the Cowal route adds significantly to the mileage (but has some excellent roads). Whichever we need to cross from Kennacraig to Islay with Cal Mac (the boat should go to Port Ellen although it was diverted to Port Askaig for a while). (FWIW my preference is for the Arran route).

Umm, I think that's all for now. I am really looking forward to this and there is room for a few more still.
XT6

Post by XT6 »

Hi Austin,

A. Please do count me in (I'm on here too not just XRV by the way - more of a lurker than a poster in both cases...)

B. I'm tempted to say if we are camping one night let's camp every night as we are taking all the gear anyway. Assuming places to pick up bits of food and booze en route...

C. I'll go with the flow. Either route looks exciting to me. I've never been up that way so it's all an adventure so far as I'm concerned.

Cheers,
Andrew
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Thanks Andrew, you are on the list. Good point about carrying the camping stuff, might as well use it. The Arran route is just that little bit more exciting than Cowal - nice big ferries to Arran, an Island to "tick off" with some stunning views and places to visit, and then a diddy little ferry that rocks and rolls across the sea loch back to the mainland. Last time I did the second crossing we had to sit on the bikes to stop them falling off the stands and water was splashing about everywhere. Great fun. If you have never been to Scotland you will just love this trip and the journey to Ullapool.
XT6

Post by XT6 »

Cheers Austin. I presume you have not booked anything yet & we are waiting for everyone to agree where to stay & where to cross before booking anything ?

My experience of scotland is 2 trips to Edinburgh, 3 to Galloway forest, and one trip up to loch tay / tummel rafting etc.

Always wanted to go and see the highlands and islands.

My opinion on scenery is the more remote/natural/wild the better. Hoping that's what I'm going to see on this trip.
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

XT6 wrote:Cheers Austin. I presume you have not booked anything yet & we are waiting for everyone to agree where to stay & where to cross before booking anything ?

My experience of scotland is 2 trips to Edinburgh, 2 to Galloway forest, and one trip up to loch tay / tummel rafting etc.

Always wanted to go and see the highlands and islands.

My opinion on scenery is the more remote/natural/wild the better. Hoping that's what I'm going to see on this trip.
yes nothing booked except the bothy on Jura and dont book ferries or anything just yet. I will block book campsites (or whatever) and pay deposits if needed.

As for remote, where we are going on Jura is about as remote as it gets and the route to Ullapool plus a ride out or two will get you to all the best places scotland has. Get yourself on Craig's Saturday ride out, or wait and see if my approach to the Cape Wrath ferry man comes off and we can visit the most remote location in the UK.
tetley

Post by tetley »

Austin if there is still room an you put me down please.

Colin
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

tetley wrote:Austin if there is still room an you put me down please.

Colin
Participants

Me
Ian Biggar
Raymo
Bimbler (XRV member)
XT6
Tetley
raymo

Adventure ride on the way to Ullapool.

Post by raymo »

welcome back Austin glad you had a great adventure :-)

I am in and will go with the flow
:-)
Raymo
wianbiggar

Post by wianbiggar »

Austin, I'm still on for this - prefer the camping/YHA option and travelling via Arran. Setting up after dark is less preferable but could be fun lol. Could always camp at Kennacraig and get the first ferry in the morning to Port Askaig (8am I think) but that may complicate the return journey.
Ian

Return to “ABR Highlands Rally Ullapool 28th - 30th Sept 2012”