Adventure ride on the way to Ullapool.

wianbiggar

Re: Adventure ride on the way to Ullapool.

Post by wianbiggar »

Austin
In case you didn't get my other reply - quite happy to camp in hotel campsite and "do" Corrievreckan in a day or go with the majority vote - just back from Europe, safely, more on that later, so sorry I've been out of touch.
Ian
AustinW

Adventure ride on the way to Ullapool.

Post by AustinW »

This is still on wild camping on the beach/dunes at Corran sands on Jura instead of the bothy. I got a somewhat non- committal reply from Mike at bothy about riding up his track to get close to Corrieveckan. I will ring nearer the time and I am pretty confident that it will be ok.

It's going to be a good trip this.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Caledonian MacBrayne ticket booking webpageIts just 8 weeks to go so I think its time to book ferry tickets. Booked mine today and this is what you need:

Caledonian MacBrayne ticket booking webpage

You need Hopscotch 16. Direction Arran to Islay. Cost for One rider and one bike is £104.25. You also need to book each "hop" for the ticket.

Hop 1 Ardrossan to Brodick on Arran 12.30 Ferry on 25th September. Arrives at 13.25

Hop 2 Lochranza (Arran) to Claonaig - turn up and go. (we need to be on a boat at about 16.30 to 16.45

Hop 3 Kennacraig to Islay. 18.00 Ferry on 25th September. Arrives 20.20. This should arrive at Port Ellen but I know boats have been being diverted to Port Askaig.

Hop 4. Islay (Port Askaig) to Kennacraig. 15.30 Ferry on 27th September. Arrives at 17.15. Make sure you change the date to 27th September.

The ferry to / from Jura is turn up and go and run by a different company. Ferries on Wednesday 26th are at 8.30, 10.30, 12.00, 14.00, 15.15 and 16.30. We will decide on the day which one to go for.

Return from Jura on the 27th is at 8.40, 10.40, 12.10, 14.10.

I cant find a price for motorbikes on the Jura ferry but a return for a car is said to be about £15 so probably that or a bit less.

See you in 7 weeks 6 days :)
tetley

Post by tetley »

Hi Austin,

I will be travelling form the north so will meet up with you at Kennacraig for the 18.00 ferry. If anyone else is travelling form the north please feel free to contact me if you want to travel down together.

Thanks

Colin
wianbiggar

Post by wianbiggar »

So that's the ferries all booked - just sat here twiddling my thumbs 'til we're off!!
Ian.
Actually need to build up a bunch of brownie points 'tween now and then so better get on....
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

A little update on the various travel plans that I know about so far:

We are all now meeting at the Ardrossan Ferry Terminal on Tuesday 25th. Latest check in time for the boat is 12.00 so please allow plenty time to get there. Ardrossan is not the most accessible of places. The boat leaves at 12.30.

There's an Asda just by the terminal for last minute supplies. I cant remember if there is fuel there but its an idea to fill up. Island fuel prices are generally a lot higher than mainland.

1. Me and XT6 (Andy) are meeting on the M6 somewhere - probably Lancaster South Services early Tuesday morning and then travelling up to Ardrossan via M6/A75/A76.

2. Bimbler (Paul) and Piguglyshandydrinker (Phil) are travelling to Stranraer on Monday 24th. Then travelling up to Ardrossan on the 25th.

3. Ian Biggar, Tetley (Tim?)and Raymo (err, Raymo) are travelling from their respective homes to Ardrossan.

Ian, Tetley, and Bimbler could you PM me your mobile phone numbers, I can then PM each of us with everyone's phone number. Ta.

See you all Tuesday. Who was sorting out the good weather? I am sure I delegated that to someone this time ;)
wianbiggar

Post by wianbiggar »

When I was over a month or so ago the Asda fuel place was right at the entrance to the ferry terminal and had very good prices on fuel. Worth filling up there.
Ian
tetley

Post by tetley »

Just watched the BBC weather on Country File. Looks wet for Monday, windy and wet for Tuesday, OK for Wednesday and Thursday. Extra tent pegs for Tuesday night. Hope the ferries are running OK. Got stuck on Mull last Saturday, very windy!

Colin
raymo

Post by raymo »

HI Austin,
TXT you.. will not be able to make the early part of this trip, will see you in Ullapool...

mmm you have delgated the weather... oh dear :woohoo:
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Cal Mac ferries are disrupted due to the weather. Ardrossan-Brodick Ferries are cancelled tonight. http://status.calmac.info/service-statu ... ?routeID=5

There's a free app for smart phones that gives updates too.

Return to “ABR Highlands Rally Ullapool 28th - 30th Sept 2012”