Adventure ride on the way to Ullapool.

AustinW

Re: Adventure ride on the way to Ullapool.

Post by AustinW »

Ok, thanks for the replies, and PMs. A mixed set of views as well as useful input. So....

Itinerary looks like:
Tuesday 25th:
1. Ferry - Ardrossan to Brodick (Arran) on the 12.30 Ferry. Arrives 13.25. Ride round Arran, look at sights and so on.
2. Ferry - Lochranza (Arran) to Claonaig at about 16.30 (this is a turn up and go ferry and takes about 15min). (Kennacraig is then about 10mins from Claonaig)
3. Ferry - Kennacraig to Port Ellen on the 18.00. Arrives 20.20.
4. Camp or B&B at Kintra Farm as you prefer. Kintra is abou 10mins ride from Port Ellen.

Wednesday 26th
5. Cross to Jura late morning. Ferries from Port Askaig are at 10.30, 11.15, 12.15.
6. Visit to Jura distillery followed by a sobering lunch.
7. Buy food and stuff for the evening in Craighouse.
8. Head north (20+ miles of increasingly narrow and rough road with last 7miles or so being a track) to the Bothy. Leave 4pm at latest. (there's not a great lot to see or do on Jura apart from scenery)
9. Overnight in the Bothy.

Thursday 27th
10. Breakfast and depart the Bothy by 9.30
11. Ferry back to Islay at abou 10.30 to 11am.
12. Visit a distillery on Islay - either Bowmore or Bruichladdie.
13. Ferry - Port Askaig to Kennacraig at 15.30, arrives 17.15
14. Travel North for about 1 hour to a camp site (location tba) in the Oban(ish) area or to the YHA in Inverary.

Friday 28th
15. Early start - on the road by 8am - to head towards Ullapool. Distance is approx 200miles depending on route. Options to travel over the Beallach na Baa to Applecross (adds over 50 miles (250 in total) and 90 minutes but worth it - if so an even earlier start to be there for lunch).
16. Arrive Ullapool campsite at 18.00 (or later) depending on which way we go.

Hope OK, let me have any suggestions or comments on the itinerary. Please don't book anything yet as I still haven't contacted the Bothy owner.

Its shaping up to be a good trip, we just need the weather to shine on us.
tetley

Post by tetley »

Thanks for the update.

Colin
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

AustinW wrote: 14. Travel North for about 1 hour to a camp site (location tba) in the Oban(ish) area or to the YHA in Inverary.

[/quote

How does this place look? http://www.blackwaterhostel.co.uk/accommodation.shtml

Camping, Dorms and private rooms at reasonable rates. A bit further from Kennacraig than planned but it gets us nearer Ullapool. I cant find anything nearer that does camping and other accomodation.
wianbiggar

Post by wianbiggar »

Blackwater looks good - nice roads around there.
There is an 8am ferry from K. on the Wednesday morning that could link with the Jura ferry if camping in the dark is too traumatic and I think you can camp by the parking at K. Just a thought - but happy to go with the majority.
Ian
P.S. Off to Italy on Thursday so will be out of touch for a couple of weeks.
XT6

Post by XT6 »

All sounds good to me. Happy to go with the flow.
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Ok, sounds like we have a plan and an itinerary. Paul - Bimbler - is planning to make his own way home after we return to Kennacraig so there is just the 5 of us at the moment heading to Glencoe. I still haven't phoned the bothy man but will do so this week.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Chaps very bad news I'm afraid. I emailed Mike at the bothy on Jura. This is his reply:

Hi Austin,
Co-incidentally I intended emailing you this weekend. I'm very sorry to say that the Bunkhouse will not be available in September. We are having some work carried out in the house during that month and require the Bunkhouse for sleeping accommodation for the workmen. It's the only time suitable for them.
I hope you will still get out to the Corryvreckan viewpoint on the Thursday. If you camp in Craighouse the night before,( in the hotel's camping field or perhaps Corran Sands)there will be plenty of time to drive up and down without having to stay overnight at Kinuachdrachd.
Hope it all works out well for you and companions and once again sorry we are unable to oblige.

Best wishes

Mike

In summary we cannot stay at the bothy but we can ride up the track still to see some of the sights - the Corrieveckan whirlpool and the remoter parts of Jura.

I went to Islay and Jura about 18months ago and they are special parts of the world. Islay is not the most spectacular Island in Scotland but it does have its distilleries and its own special charm - everyone waves as you drive past including the police. Jura though is wilder and much more remote even though its only separated from Islay by a 5 minute ferry.

The camping field in Craighouse is the lawn of the Jura hotel (£80per night)and overlooks the harbour and bay. It is a beautiful spot and last time was £2 per night. The distillery is 1 minutes walk. I dont know about Corran Sands - could be a wild camping spot. [edit - just googled it, Corran Sands is indeed a wild camping spot. A beach that appears to be quite accessible and looks like a good alternative]

I understand if you want to drop out but if anyone still wants to go I am also still more than happy to carry on organising and leading it all. If I don't do this trip I will do something else in Scotland that week anyway - and happy to lead and organise something else if wanted.

Sorry but its better we get this bad news now and it is all out of my control.
raymo

Post by raymo »

no probs Austin

still up for this ,
wild camp on jura :-)
XT6

Post by XT6 »

Wot he said !

No problem from my perspective.

B)
tetley

Post by tetley »

Hi Austin,

Still up for the trip. Happy to camp at either location.

Colin

Return to “ABR Highlands Rally Ullapool 28th - 30th Sept 2012”