Made it home courtesy of Green Flag Rescue

davec

Made it home courtesy of Green Flag Rescue

Post by davec »

Well I have to come clean since there were witnesses (thanks to Paul J and co for stopping and enquiring as to my wellbeing).

Sunday night I stayed at the Arrochar hotel at Arrochar, £25 for single room and a hearty breakfast. The room, the view, and the food all exceeded my expectations, beer was reasonably priced too. Whilst there I planned my route home, the last minute plan was to go via the Isle of Man and visit Sussurro but when I looked into it the ferry times and the cost this option looked less attractive. What clinched it was when I found that the local petrol station was out of petrol so I made a 40 mile round trip to Inverary only to find that they had run out of fuel too, an early morning start was out. Monday morning I crawled along at energy efficient speed to Alexandria where I managed to find a fuel station that actually had some fuel.

The ride back to Gloucester was uneventful, if not a little wet and windy, until I got to near Worcester when the transmisson got a bit jumpy under acceleration and deceleration. I stopped at Strensham services and found that the chain was very slack and the rear sprocket was totally shot. Well, only 20 miles away from home, I decided to limp back at low speed. As I approached the exit to the services the chain jumped off. Phone call to Green Flag Rescue and in less than an hour I was sitting in a breakdown truck and on my way home.

PS I did check the chain and sprockets before I left for Ullapool, probably should have looked a bit harder and maybe checked when I got there too. You live and learn...
I got a motorbike for my wife...

Best swap I ever made.
lonepilgrim

Re: Made it home courtesy of Green Flag Rescue

Post by lonepilgrim »

If its not me its you ;) glad you made it back safe though
ABR Welsh Rally Brecon Beacons 2012

HUBB Donington Park 2013

ABR Exmoor Rally 2013

Member of the Kawasaki Riders Club

My bikes: 1995 Kawasaki KLX 250 E3

1989 Kawasaki Tengai KL650 B1

Previous bikes: 2009 Yamaha YZF R125 Fiat Team / Rossi Replica
davec

Post by davec »

Haha well there was another ABR who limped home from the Welsh rally with the back of his split link in two pieces :whistle:

Best swap I ever made.
davec

Post by davec »

davec wrote:Haha well there was another ABR who limped home from the Welsh rally with the back of his split link in two pieces :whistle:
Actually as I remember he raced home to get back before the front wore out...

Best swap I ever made.
Phil

Post by Phil »

ha ha ha.....going home on a recovery vehicle, what a loser! oh wait....how did i get home...opps?? :blush: at least you broke down at a good services, i was a Lymm services and thats crap!

i know what you mean about checking harder, i serviced my head bearings before i left but on the first day i noticed they weren't tight enough :unsure:

its all an adventure mate, not when its happening...its a nightmare then but its an adventure now :)
lonepilgrim

Post by lonepilgrim »

I've only just sorted out the fact I didn't have a front brake for most of the ride out at the Welsh Rally and on the way home ... What with Kilmi and his chain, Phil with his problems and now Dave its a sign the 4 of us should go out for a ride together but carry every spare in the world in a rental truck behind us ;)

By the way Kilmi has put his XR up for sale :(
ABR Welsh Rally Brecon Beacons 2012

HUBB Donington Park 2013

ABR Exmoor Rally 2013

Member of the Kawasaki Riders Club

My bikes: 1995 Kawasaki KLX 250 E3

1989 Kawasaki Tengai KL650 B1

Previous bikes: 2009 Yamaha YZF R125 Fiat Team / Rossi Replica
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

Glad you got 'rescued' Dave.

It's in the ABR code never to ride passed a stranded biker, especially as we had shared your company at Ullapool.

(Tip: fit a Scottoiler or similar ;) )
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.

Return to “ABR Highlands Rally Ullapool 28th - 30th Sept 2012”