Dithering in the North Yorkshire Dales - Very Nice day out it was too

Steve T

Dithering in the North Yorkshire Dales - Very Nice day out it was too

Post by Steve T »

Well, that were fun, that were (to be read in yer best Yorkshire accent)
The Boil Rally 2013 started, for the Moray contingent anyway, with a dry start to the ride down to Kirkby Stephen. Fiona, AfricaJim and myself headed south via the Lecht and Glenshee. Jim pulled over just as we got too Glen Livet. The impending downpour was obvious on the horizon, so Jim had deemed it sensible to stop and don waterproofs. A picture opportunity wasn’t to be missed either – Packhorse Bridge near Glenlivet, with an assortment of nice riding machines parked in front of it.
PackhoseBridge.jpg
PackhoseBridge.jpg (75.41 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
The heavens open and doused us with a small quantity of liquid, but not enough in the early stages of the journey to stop us grabbing another chance of a good photo.
A section of the old A93 on the southern side of the Glenshee sking area.
Glenshee.jpg
Glenshee.jpg (31.93 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
Southerly we rode, through rain, hail and snow, past Perth and Edinburgh, rolling to the Borders via the A7. It was on this leg of the ride that the weather did it’s worst to slip our wheels from under us – near Langholme, after one really heavy down pour of hail, during which I was in fear of the plastic bits of the bike getting shattered by the bullet size hail stones, the road ended up white with the stuff!
But we made it to the site in day light and without any incidents or assaults by the weather, to be greeted by a thronged field of tents and bikes – what a cracking turnout.
Campsitefull.jpg
Campsitefull.jpg (19.83 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
Just in time we got the tents up and gear stowed when the weather caught up with us! We ended up with several inches of hail around the edge of every tent, and it was there into the next morning, such was the temperature over night! Still didn’t stop us gathering to talk bikes and ballicks to anyone that would listen.

Saturday dawned bright and dry – HURRAH. Hudders, being local and available, was volunteered to gather a flock and flock off with them in’t Dales, ably aided by his mucka Mick. By the end of Saturday they, Hudders & Mick, had been re-named the Chuckle brothers, such was the “banter” throughout the day.
Many local roads were experienced – please don’t ask me to tell you which ones, because I’ve no idea. When asked on Saturday evening, on our return to the camping field, where we’d been, I could only offer “ Yorkshire” as an answer.
But I do remember some of the memorable landmarks that we were led to. Here’s a picture of Malham Scar. Mick provided a constant flow of facts about what lay in front of us, view wise.
MalhamScar.jpg
MalhamScar.jpg (40.02 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
We rode but a mile round the corner and stopped for grub & grog, after which those that were willing were led into Gordale Scar, to view water being pulled by gravity.
GordaleScar1.jpg
GordaleScar1.jpg (36.49 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
GordaleScar2.jpg
GordaleScar2.jpg (94.86 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
GordaleScar3.jpg
GordaleScar3.jpg (121.23 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
GordaleScar4.jpg
GordaleScar4.jpg (84.94 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
Absolutely fffing stunning was the best I could come up with as a description of what we saw as we rounded the corner at the end of the scar. Think Todra Gorge, but without sand, flies, sandflies, goats and Arabs!

Group mug shot of the mugs that took the walk . . . .
GordaleScar5.jpg
GordaleScar5.jpg (113.41 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
Hudders tried really, really hard to talk AfricaJim into climbing the waterfall, seeing as it’s a public right of way, but Jim had just consumed half a dead cow :S and ¾’s of a dead pig :unsure: , so he politely declined the offer :blush: .
Onwards we rode, down many of t’lanes that abound round these parts, and what fun they are to ride. Next stop was Aysgarth Falls . . . .
AysgarthFalls.jpg
AysgarthFalls.jpg (120.81 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
AysgarthMill.jpg
AysgarthMill.jpg (78.47 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
AysgarthMob.jpg
AysgarthMob.jpg (80.62 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
More liquids and solids were consumed by some at this stop – gotta do yer bit to support the local economy aint you. After a slightly prolonged stay – OK, I took my time enjoying the cake, so shoot me! By the time I put my napkin down it was time for a couple of Hudders mates to head home. IanBiggar headed off as well – he’d a 2 hour ride home to New Galloway - I think the curfew time on his ankle braclet was looming so he made his fairwells and headed north ;) . What was left was ably guided back to their tents via more scenic routes.

Got to say that Saturdays ride was one of the best I’ve had in an age - Cheers Hudders & Mick for taking the time to lead, inform and chase us round t’Dales.

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
wianbiggar

Re: Dithering in the North Yorkshire Dales - Very Nice day out it was too

Post by wianbiggar »

Good one Steve - pretty accurate description of a great day. Thanks to Simon (and Mick) for all the effort - it worked!! (Mick - I hope you got the tenner you lent me - I gave it to ? who was riding the white Tiger - one of the pair that left Aysgarth before me - but that I caught up with before Hawes. Damn, must get better with names!)
Well worth the ride down - only sorry not to stay longer - but I really felt "at one" (what?) with the bike by the time I got home - 12 hours after I left!
Thanks one and all - I'll post some snaps tomorrow but they're much the same as yours Steve.
Ian
felco

Post by felco »

Thank you for posting, looks like a weekend to remember. great stuff. been to these places when the kids were younger so brought a few good memories back. ta.
pikeymic

Post by pikeymic »

Thanks Steve t
Me n t' wife (Cath) had a great weekend. Fantastic welcome at the Takoda campsite, made to feel at home by Paul and everyone there. The curry night was amazing, thanks to everyone involved. We have both made some really good friends and look forward to seeing everyone again.
PS.Thanks to Ian for passing on the tenner

Mick
pikeymic

Post by pikeymic »

Me and Hudders did get rid of the wood for you Paul :laugh: :laugh: :whistle:
HUDDERS

Post by HUDDERS »

Great weekend will everyone as always.

Cheers Simon
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Excellent, stunning scenery and a great ride, what more could you want.
one-legged adventurer
davecopland

Post by davecopland »

A very accurate description of an excellent ride out Steve , I enjoyed it thoroughly . Thanks to The Chuckle Brothers ( Simon & Mick ) for a great day . All in All a Memorable weekend ,so a Big Thanks to Paul , Maria ,Jesse et all.

Oh ! and watcha mean took too long over the CAKE !!! :whistle:
Coffee / Walnut / Cream / Jam . Mmmmmmm :woohoo:

Return to “April 2013 - ABR Boil Rally Cumbria; 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th”