Piel - Friday night

beddowsm

Piel - Friday night

Post by beddowsm »

As last year Im sure a few will want to make a weekend of the Piel trip and will want to camp somewhere Friday night. On Saturday morning Ill be leading a trail ride and Im sure others will be enjoying a leisurely morning taking in some of the tarmac passes that wind their way around the Lakes. We will then all meet at Snab point for the crossing to Piel island.

Ive been in contact with the National Trust and they have said we can attend Hoathwaite campsite site in mass for the Friday night. Its located close to the village of Coniston in the heart of the Southern Lake District. It sounds basic but should do for what we want. The local pub in Torver, “Wilson Arms” looks OK for a few beers in the evening (http://www.thewilsonsarms.co.uk).

I should hopefully be at the campsite late afternoon.

From their email……………

Hoathwaite Campsite enjoys a stunning location, but is very basic. Please do not expect the same level of facilities and services that you would receive at our other Lake District campsites.

All bookings for campers, unless otherwise arranged, are allocated to the top field immediately after the cattle grid as you enter the campsite (see map). The bottom field is used only for group reservations made in advance. There is no reception building on site and a warden attends in the morning/afternoon only, so it is down to you to decide on a suitable place to pitch within the given area and set your equipment up accordingly. Parking is on the hard standing area adjacent to the farm buildings at the top end of the site. All caravans and vehicles should remain parked on this area unless otherwise directed by the site warden.

There are only very basic toilet and washing facilities (i.e. portaloos) for campers’ use. These are located on the area of hard standing on the top field, just to the right of the gate as you come into the camping area. The site has a chemical waste disposal point for biodegradable chemicals only. Drinking water is available at various points throughout the site. There is no electricity on site. The nearest shop is located in Coniston – this is a small branch of the Co-op, suitable for a few small essentials (milk, bread etc.) The nearest supermarket is in Kendal.

From Coniston, follow the A593 in the direction of Torver. Approximately two miles along this road you will see a left hand turn with large brown sign marked ‘Park Coppice’. The turning for Hoathwaite Farm Campsite is the next turning on the left, roughly one mile further along the road – look for the green metal railings and a small white ‘Campsite Open’ sign. The ‘Priestly Centre’ is also sign posted at the same turn. If you reach Torver village you have gone too far.
beddowsm

Re: Piel - Friday night

Post by beddowsm »

Theres no pressure to camp Friday night, if you cant make it, or just don't want to then it doesn't matter. The main event is the Saturday crossing to Piel and we all need to make our way to Snab point for the crossing en mass.

But I'll start a list of who wants to camp Friday just so people know who may be around. Stick your name on this thread if you fancy meeting for a few beers / camping Friday night.

1) Beddowsm
2) Toblerone
3) Ashley
4) stevied
5) coasty
6) RobertG
7) SuddyKTM
8) tea007
9) tea007 + 1
10) MikeyBoy
11) MikeyBoy Dad
12) Felco
13) bazza
14) Mikeyboy Brother
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

And let me know if you fancy a trail ride on the Saturday. The trails are not the easiest, but as long as you have some off road experience and suitable tyres (dual sport a min). Ill be on a 660 tenere, but last year a 1200 GSA and KTM 990's did it with no problems. The route will be similar to last year bar a few trails as we are starting from a different point.

The final trail will be the beach byway, both ways. This will enable you to get your Dakar speeds out of the way (Tea!). The actual crossing to Piel island will be done at a very relaxed pace.

1) Beddowsm
2) Ashley
3) stevied
4) coasty
5) RobertG
6) SuddyKTM
7) tea007
8) tea007 + 1
9) ChrisInFlight
10) Felco
11) baza
Toblerone

Post by Toblerone »

Sounds good, can you put me down for the Friday night.

Cheers

Toblerone
'13 Kawasaki Versys

'01 Honda C90

Everything Happens for a Reason

Live n' let Live

http://www.slickpic.com/u/Toblerone
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

Hi Mike

If nothing goes wrong I will be there Friday ready to trail ride on the Saturday
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Ashley wrote:Hi Mike

If nothing goes wrong I will be there Friday ready to trail ride on the Saturday
Funny you should post Ahsley, I was only watching the Pyrenees DVD last night. Was wondering what you were up to these days. Will be good to catch up again. Cant believe its been 2 years since that trip. And cant believe how many bikes Ive gone through in that time either. Miss my 950.

Ill be setting off about 13:30ish on the Friday....so depending on what time you are passing let me know. Im about 15 mins from the M6 near Runcorn. Probably get a trail or 2 in on the way.
Stevied

Post by Stevied »

Hi Mike
Friday camping and trail ride please.
Steve
coasty

Post by coasty »

Put me down please .... Was wondering what was happening on the Fri :-) .. Not sure about the trail ride ... How gentle is gentle ?? The Buell is no gs off road !!
RobertG

Post by RobertG »

Count me in for Friday as well please. I will be getting the ferry over on Thursday and taking some winding route from Troon :silly:

Has anybody got video of the tricky trail sections from last year. Or even a few coordinates to "investigate" on my way there on the Friday. I am windy about taking fully loaded 1200GS (albeit on knobblies)too far off road. :unsure:
suddyktm

Post by suddyktm »

this looks great im in .... will be great to see some old faces.

Return to “ABR Piel Island Rally June 6th-8th 2014”