ABR "Island" Rally 2014

beddowsm

ABR "Island" Rally 2014

Post by beddowsm »

Piel1.jpg
Piel1.jpg (22.94 KiB) Viewed 8154 times
This is a unique event taking place on Piel Island on the 7th and 8th June 2014. This will be the 2nd ABR Piel Island Rally. Here’s the ride report from the trip in 2013.

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... hotos.html

More information to follow later, but a quick intro……

Piel Island is located in estuary just South of Barrow-In-Furness in the South Lakes. Twice a day the island is surrounded by water as the tide rises. This event will be a unique opportunity to be “stranded” on the island for the night.

ABR has permission to ride over the sands on mass to the island on this weekend only. This is a privilege and is not available under normal circumstances.

Departing the mainland at 14:30 for the crossing, the afternoon and evening will be spent on the island and once the tide goes out on Sunday late morning the bikes will depart.

How often do you get the chance to spend a night camping on a small island complete with a pub, especially knowing you have rode across the sands to get there

From www.pielisland.co.uk/ .....

Situated on the tip of the Furness Peninsula, Piel Island is a jewel that the traveller can stumble across and be won over forever, by this charming little fifty acre island. For it has a King, a Castle and a Pub, all steeped in history waiting to be discovered by you.
Piel2.jpg
Piel2.jpg (99.54 KiB) Viewed 8154 times
beddowsm

Re: ABR "Island" Rally 2014

Post by beddowsm »

Friday 6th June

Meet at a campsite in the Lakes (we stayed at Baysbrown near Great Langdale last year….TBC).

Saturday 7th June

Split into a few groups for either a tarmac tour of the Lakes (the passes en-route to the meet point are fantastic) or a Green Lane trip (Ill lead one of the groups, max 8ish riders). Any more volunteers to lead are welcome. There are some fantastic trails in the Southern Lakes. The highlight will be a coastal byway (feature in ABR Issue X).

All riders will meet at Snab point(so no requirement to come Friday night...unless you want to) on Walney Island by 14:15. We will be given a brief from Sheila (Landlady from the Ship Inn). At approx 14:30 we will all cross the Sands as one large group.

At an estimated 14:50 we will all be on the Island to setup tents and get the beers in. The tide will come in and we will effectively be cut off. The Island is fantastic, about 50 acres and can be walked around in about 20 minutes.

Sunday 8th June

Lazy morning, recover from hangovers and decamp. Approx 12:00 we will leave as one large group to return across the sands.

The Island has basic facilities. There’s a toilet block and a field to camp in (£5 per tent). There’s a pub, a castle and a few residential houses. The pub does have accommodation options, 3 rooms and a couple of bunk rooms. See website for more details. www.pielisland.co.uk. Rooms are £85 and do get booked quickly. If you are interested please contact the pub yourself.

Now the serious bit………….The island is privately owned and we are being invited to cross the sands at our own risk. This crossing is not a legal road or byway and everyone who attends crosses at their own risk. No liability will fall on ABR or the owners of Piel Island. We will cross the sands as a group, no one is to cross solo. Once on the island we will follow a designated route to the rally field. Once there bikes will be parked up and then left until it is time to leave. Riding round the island is NOT permitted under any circumstance.

The Crossing…………the first 100 meters or so is the tricky bit. The mud is very slippery and drops can easily occur. But those with no off-road experience can still cross if care is taken. Take things slow and steady and walk with the bike if needed. Once passed the tricky part the sands will be firm if you stick to the main route. Take an alternative route and risk getting the bike bogged in deep sand. And as the latest we can cross is 14:30 this means the tide will get to the bike before a rescue. The landlady will lead the way at a steady safe pace. I will stay at the back and help anyone that needs it. As stated the crossing will be done at a steady pace. Any that want to go off at Dakar speeds (20mph officer) are better coming with me on the Saturday to get it out of their system on a local sand byway.

REMEMBER – you are crossing a route that gets covered by SALT water. If we cross within the safe tide times and travel slow this will result in less salt splash. But the way I see it, is it really any different than riding during a normal British winter? The roads are covered in salt. And on the Sunday, make it a priority to wash the bike as soon as you return.

Piel3.jpg
Piel3.jpg (39.81 KiB) Viewed 8154 times
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Attendees.......no limits, the more the merrier.

BeddowsM
Lady Beddows
RobertG
Stevied
Africa John (maybe, you should have Browny points)
Tea007
Simply Exploring
MinkyHead
JamesKaya (maybe)
Craigrevo (+1)
dubber68 (maybe)
lodgey
Ashley
Tenere Mart + 1
Sykesy
prooney377
Mikeyboy
MikeyBoy Dad
hilux
coasty
SuddyKTM
Felco
APD_660ten (maybe)
RobertG
Phil.Hughes1983
ChrisInFlight
scoobydidler
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Can a mod create a new "ABR Island Rally 2014" folder please and move this into it? Thanks.
RobertG

Post by RobertG »

Dates work. I'm in! (thumbs)

Just made the decision for me as to whether to replace squared of Tourance Next with road tyres or nobblies!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Stevied

Post by Stevied »

Nice one Mike. Count me in .
MrMorg

Post by MrMorg »

im in, two mins from my house!
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Used to be across the bay from me Carnforth !!!now its a thousand kms away so if i make it and you see French plates !! its me (thumbs)
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Put me down as a probable. I've checked that it doesn't clash with any of the classic races in Belgium so now all I need to worry about is work sticking one on me.

I might be able to persuade my wife to come but the idea of riding her Sprint ST on sand will probably put her off.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

beddowsm wrote:Can a mod create a new "ABR Island Rally 2014" folder please and move this into it? Thanks.
All done Mike.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.

Return to “ABR Piel Island Rally June 6th-8th 2014”