Piel Island Rally (or small gathering) in 2014 ????

Monster

Post by Monster »

Hi All

I have never been (too near) there ... but saw a thread from the planned 2013 event and it looked very interesting - or at least the crossing did. Did the event go ahead? Report please

Any plans for any sort of rally or gathering in 2014 ??

Cheers All
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
minkyhead

Re: Piel Island Rally (or small gathering) in 2014 ????

Post by minkyhead »

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
digitalcaptive

Post by digitalcaptive »

This was originally an xrv.org.uk event organised by Austin of this Parish, I went on the first organised Peil Island and it was great fun. In typical xrv fashion the evening was pretty heavy going (something to do with the alcohol consumption me thinks) but the ride over was great, the image of over 30 bikes stretched across the sands was nothing short of spectacular,that's now about 3 years ago so I'm about ready for another.

The first of the images was taken by Frad of xrv fame B)

PielIsland160.jpg
PielIsland160.jpg (39.33 KiB) Viewed 7638 times
Peil.jpg
Peil.jpg (57.67 KiB) Viewed 7638 times
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

2013 was a Great rally with I think over 40 crossing.
Weather was excelent as was the company & our hosts on the Island. (thumbs)
Guess we're all waiting for Mike (last years organizer) to post his intentions for 2014 & hope that he'll Marshall & Lead us again.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

As Digitalcaptive mentioned I organised the first two Piel Island trips in 2010 and 2011. Mike Beddows asked me earlier this year if I minded if he organised something for 2013. The first year we even made the local papers as it was the first time bikes en-masse - I think there was 70 of us - had been ridden across the sands. We also raised £200 for charity.

Permission to ride the bikes over has to be negotiated with the pub landlord, the national trust who own the castle its grounds and the pub, and Barrow Council who I think own the rest of the island. Landlord does most of this.

The crossing is tide dependent - it's safe(ish) from around 4hours after high tide to two hours before the next high tide. There is a fairly broad safe route between Walney Island and Piel Island. Outside those times and route and the sands are too wet and you WILL get stuck and the tide will come in and drown your bike and possibly you. The crossing is very soft and muddy for about 150metres at the Walney end but mostly wet but firm sand after that. Your bikes will be covered in salty water and sand after. The faster you go the saltier, wetter and sandier your bike will be.

Crossing is also dependent on good riding behaviour during the crossing and especially once on the island.

The pub is fantastic and it seems to be party night every night. The camping is basic but in an awesome location especially when the tide is back in and you look back to where you rode just a couple of hours ago.

It's a fantastic trip but I am not organising it again. Happy to help if someone else wants to though.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
Sykesy

Post by Sykesy »

THIS TRIP NEEDS SORTING FOR 2014. Fantastic last year!!!!!! If no-one pops up to organise it, i'll do it!

a friend is someone who bails you out of jail, But a BEST friend is the person sitting beside you saying...'that was fu**ing awesome'!!!!!!!
Stevied

Post by Stevied »

put my name down for this. I'm sure you would get a good turn out after last year. best rally of the year.
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

as I made it as far as the first night campsite but not the actual Island trip due to some lurgey I caught I'm up for another go
IJnoGSer

Post by IJnoGSer »

I will never forget that 2013 crossing, I was supposed to be there but instead i lay in hospital fighting for my life :ohmy:

Would be nice to do it if its arranged for this year, Dates depending (thumbs)
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Date dependant I would be up got this. Couldn't make last year

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG

Return to “ABR Piel Island Rally June 6th-8th 2014”