Wales Rally - post event banter

lonepilgrim

Wales Rally - post event banter

Post by lonepilgrim »

Hey all,

Thanks for making my first rally a pleasant experience ... didn't really get involved with all the post ride out fun last night as popped into Swansea for a meal with Mrs Pilgrim aka Donna (condition of her bringing down all the gear in the car) plus Kilmi(Kieran) and Mrs Kilmi (Holly).

We were the quiet ones in the top corner of the field with DaveC on the trailies.

A massive thanks to the organisers - Dragonwheels and JaseXT - also BigPete aka Sheila for leading the novice rideout with Steve and Jenny as the back up support.

Glad I was pressured into continuing on the ride after lunch without a front brake of any kind as the last 2 lanes were excellent and taught me so much - it's a standing joke here amongst us Gloucesterites that I love a little water and this was to be found right at the end of the lanes with a small ford which I had to experience on 6 crossings including a 'special' final crossing which ended up with me having water down the inside of my under shirt (3 layers down!!).

All in all it has been an eye opener and I can't wait to the next one - depending on work commitments as always.

More importantly it has made me realise that I do infact want to become 'orange' at some point :)

John

P.S. I'm sure the photos and stories of my front brake incident and the handlebar fall will crop up in due course.
ABR Welsh Rally Brecon Beacons 2012

HUBB Donington Park 2013

ABR Exmoor Rally 2013

Member of the Kawasaki Riders Club

My bikes: 1995 Kawasaki KLX 250 E3

1989 Kawasaki Tengai KL650 B1

Previous bikes: 2009 Yamaha YZF R125 Fiat Team / Rossi Replica
jonperry64

Re: Wales Rally - post event banter

Post by jonperry64 »

I second all of the above! My first trip as well. I thoroughly enjoyed it, met some great people, and learnt a lot. Many thanks to everyone who made it happen. Also special thanks to Steve who very kindly left some tyres in my trailer and I didn't get a chance to thank him in person. Apparently the tyres I had on the bike I bought recently were particularly 'docile' (if that's the opposite of aggressive) and not really up to the task of tackling some of the amazing trails we rode on the 'small bike' rideout. Looking forward to meeting you all again on the next one...
lonepilgrim

Post by lonepilgrim »

jonperry64 wrote:I second all of the above! My first trip as well. I thoroughly enjoyed it, met some great people, and learnt a lot. Many thanks to everyone who made it happen. Also special thanks to Steve who very kindly left some tyres in my trailer and I didn't get a chance to thank him in person. Apparently the tyres I had on the bike I bought recently were particularly 'docile' (if that's the opposite of aggressive) and not really up to the task of tackling some of the amazing trails we rode on the 'small bike' rideout. Looking forward to meeting you all again on the next one...
Did you enjoy the ales after we left? Nice to meet you and if your ever in the Gloucestershire area looking for a ride out me, Kilmi and DaveC will be around
ABR Welsh Rally Brecon Beacons 2012

HUBB Donington Park 2013

ABR Exmoor Rally 2013

Member of the Kawasaki Riders Club

My bikes: 1995 Kawasaki KLX 250 E3

1989 Kawasaki Tengai KL650 B1

Previous bikes: 2009 Yamaha YZF R125 Fiat Team / Rossi Replica
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Glad to have met the intrepid nutters from Gloucestershire - not to far from the rally, but on those machines - well done to you guys (and the gals for lugging your gear ;) )

Thanks also to Alun for leading an interesting ride through the lesser known parts of the South Wales valleys - some bits I'd rather have not seen - there was one particular valley commando that nearly had me falling of the bike when she lurched out between two parked cars. I'd forgotten how "luverly" :whistle: :S :sick: some of the local fems can be! I peeled off from Aluns rideout as we headed north for Abergavenny - a night in a real bed after a weeks camping could not be sniffed at. Plus it put me next to the road north for my journey home.
Got back to the north of Scotland at around half 4 after leaving Pontypool at 6am - 540 odd miles today on an Africa Twin seat = saw arsesysmdrome.

All told I covered nearly 1500 miles on my week away on a bike - write up to follow, with pics, of course :)

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
jasext

Post by jasext »

Had a cracking weekend and still feeling the after effects from last nights drinking, great all around bunch of guys and gals and hopefully see you all again soon.
gland

Post by gland »

Thanks for putting on the event had a really good chill out following my tour of ireland didnt do ride outs had a rest day but enjoyed the pub superb selection of ales and ciders and joy of joys brains dark smooth too.As for the weather "well its wales innit" :laugh:
gsdman

Post by gsdman »

Hi Guy's
I would like to thank Jasext and ktmjohn for a great day out on saturday, top ride that was just about right for the talentless gets that took part as there were some really funny sights to be had.
I met some really good lads that I know i will meet again and have further rideouts,
the water splashes and ford crossings were ace and boulder alley well!
All this topped off with a few pots of grog and a laugh in the bar.
Regards Tez
I feel lost, So I have Bought a KTM 990 ADV to go look for myself.
scottnet

Post by scottnet »

My first ABR event, fantastic venue, great pub, great people.

The ride out by Jas & John was brilliant, we had tears, screams, swearing but mostly laughing. I think all of us on our ride knew we had been on a ride the following day :)

So huge thanks to everyone , I hope I can make it again next year, and hope to see everyone on the South Cost ABR .

Scott
dovey 4

Post by dovey 4 »

hi guys,thanks for a great weekend,really enjoyed it.first abr rally.look foward to the hampshire one just around the corner.nige.iowight.
slimbo

Post by slimbo »

hi guys im going to make this wed nights adventure show(2200 to midnight) a post event chat so get your annecdotes ready and we will tell all and sundry what a weekend you all had.

www.bikerfm.co.uk.

and its still raining here!!!!

cheers slimbo
dutyhero a man for all seasons, widows consoled, virgins converted, housewives cuddled, an all round good guy

Return to “ABR Welsh Rally Brecon Beacons 29th June - 1st July 2012”