Wales Rally - post event banter

davec

Re: Wales Rally - post event banter

Post by davec »

lonepilgrim wrote: it's a standing joke here amongst us Gloucesterites that I love a little water and this was to be found right at the end of the lanes with a small ford which I had to experience on 6 crossings including a 'special' final crossing which ended up with me having water down the inside of my under shirt (3 layers down!!).
LOL, here's how it happened :laugh:

Kieran in front, John behind getting very wet.
John's water feature
I got a motorbike for my wife...

Best swap I ever made.
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

A big thank you to all those who made the event first class. I had a brilliant time.

As for the rain. Well it could of been a lot worse........ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

_48128971_53143397.jpg
_48128971_53143397.jpg (131.32 KiB) Viewed 7349 times
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
davec

Post by davec »

I'd like to say big thankyou to the organisers and everyone that attended, another great rally. Special thanks too to Big Pete for leading our rideout, excellent fun, would be great to see him at the Midland if he can make it. (Is he on the forum?)
I got a motorbike for my wife...

Best swap I ever made.
dragonwheels

Post by dragonwheels »

As it's still bloody raining, I'm thinking we should move next years Rally to Malta, it only a couple of thousand miles further and they speak heavily accented english too...plus it average 95 in June...beers not so good mind you and you need titanium tentpegs....
"Never trust a man who tells you he never feels the need to get drunk, he's either lying , or not paying attention"
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Hi Dave..see you found the little ford in the woods ;) ...brilliant fun especially on little bikes..I know a nice one in wiltshire well..5 or 6 really..
sleeping giant

Post by sleeping giant »

Hope the tyres are of some use Jon, good to meet up with you and the rest of the guys. What a great fun ride, thanks Pete. All I've got to do now is rebuild the front of Jennys GS! Anyone got a beak for a 1150.
Milechomper

Post by Milechomper »

HI, Good to see some old friends and meet some new......good time, good doo, see ya'll next time eh.
21-40Hrs Monday and it's still friggin raining.

Ah well, flippers at the ready.
Cheers Neil. Yamaha TDM 900

Just remember there are people alive today only because its illegal to shoot them.....
christian

Post by christian »

So where does one begin?

Well i suppose at the beginning but that would take too long. It really begins with having an interest. The interest specifically in motorcycles and everything motorcycle related. Especially if that interest involves rain, water, mud, rocks, grass and the unknown. Suppose that it’s all really about adventure and adventure on two wheels. In a group with like minded individuals, well that’s it then, I’m signed up.

So the ABR rally it is then. Never heard of it before now. Well i had but not too interested until it arrives on my doorstep and I’m introduced into the art of camping in the mud and rain next to your bike...So Friday came and Work finished surprisingly on the dot and i headed back to the house to get my glad rags on. Boots, jeans, t-shirt and jumper (not in that order). Oh and socks! Rest of camping kit already packed from last Scotland trip! On I hop and whizz off to a mates to drop some stuff off I owed and promised. On to Big Kevs to give him his tent for the weekend when he arrived next day.

Heading down and up the A and B roads following Mr satnav my friendly guide to the unknown. I head to Dan yr Ogof area and to the hallowed ancient Britain. A local pub hosted by the most natural and fulfilling family who run it wth hesitation. The pub adopts its local populous to compliment their hospitality and courtesy. They are Gerald and wife Mrs Gerald the most lovely couple open to the public.

Shortly before i arrive, I pass only one travelling on a KTM and briefly wave and get waved back. I turn as the white shine of the KTM catches my eye. Ha, ha, its Jon I laugh out loud. KTM Jon all Blinged to the max. Obviously heading home to the Rhondda to take stock with the family before they camp the following night. I turn the corner and yards up the road i head to the ancient Britain.

I arrive shortly before dark and head to the car park and park up. I de-saddle and walk to the round outside shed where Craig (Dragonwheels) is signing up and siphoning money from the campers for the landlord’s hard graft in getting the place ship shape. The fellas and ladies assemble and the introductions begin. So I head off for the direction of the bar to fill up with the natural ale. On return I note that I should really pitch the tent. But decide it’d be more fun once I had had a few to drink and the darkness arrives to help me wrestle it into place.

My plan goes sterling and the introductions, bonding and nattering continues deep into the night. Ten pints of Stella and a few whisky’s and i am told to go to bed...Your riding in the morning and my little head agrees that I’m tired and the directional flow of limbs had disassociated themselves a little from that of my brain. I cordially, recluse into the night to unpack my bike and pitch my tent.

I did so splendidly at the start in some assemblance of light from the toilets..Alas these are automatic and soon dwindled into pitch black. My new tent states on its instructions that it’s erected in 7 minutes. Bollocks was my answer as I was pissed and in a drunken plunder. It took a good hour of stumbling and fumbling until some assemblance of order took shape. In it I got and straight to sleep I did slumber. Only waking at 4:50am to get my best friend out to release some of that evil Stella, my body deciding it was futile in hiding the Stella so deep in my bladder. Obviously of no use to me now, I had to unzip the door and standing in a field bleary eyed and noticeable swaying i decided on a game and pissed my name and such was the flow i wrote it backwards again. Jesus how much of this Stella remained I turned to my surname as well. But alas I was too slow and only got to the M when there was joyously no flow. Thank god thought i could now get back in the tent and get some slumber.

I must have pee’d for Wales; it seemed like an hour or so. Feck in hell when was it ever going to stop? How much had i drunk? I shake my evil todger and get back in the tent....Slightly more coherent I realise that my tent is somewhat misshaped. Must be the dark and the beer and inevitably not my fault. I slumber on. Only to be Woken by the tent shaking from ear to ear “fuck off Jason or Jon” I howled.......Then the laugh came from Jason...”Why are you camping in a field on your own? You supposed to be camping in the top field with all the other tents and campers. Your in a fuckin field all on your own?”
“Pissed i was” i replied, realising i still was. I Got up and tried to get ready for the days adventure. Then someone passed saying they found my lid at the bottom of the car park where it had rolled in the night. Soaking wet inside the lid, they put it in the gazebo to dry off. “Thanks” i replied, “it often does that. It sleep rolls”. This beer thing just makes you unorganised i muttered. Must have been the darkness more than the beer, i perused.

At 8am the Ancient Britain opened its doors and breakfast began. It was a help but i needed lots more help than just one bacon butty. I decided on the day consisting of road riding only what with my delicate condition brought on by the previous evenings entertainment. Plus my bike having road tyres on. Then i remembered Alun Davies had asked me to tail end for him. So the road it was for sure as this was Aluns remit.

Alun arrived just after 9am and debriefed the enthusiastic bunch and baconed up. I tail ended and counted 15 in the blurry line and off we went....A day to remember, all wet and foggy and rainy. The entire line all fastened up ready for the cold. I rode with my jeans, so, yet again not quite prepared as one should. We headed off to the left. Then on the roads and down to the first stop to the Rhigos. With a view and a breakfast stop. The weather now kinder, again heading off and up over and down across the valleys throughout the Rhondda - Aluns haunt when he was a little younger.

A proud man and a scholar. He was brought up hard with love and respect of the Rhondda. In grained like so many Welshman, Alun leads the route and the Adventurers follow. A simple route is taken. The Rhondda streets unchanged in decades and its people still all milling around with their fresh produce and plunder. The ABR crew adventure through, up and over the valleys and down in through the little haven of the village known simply as Bryna.

The ABR Just glancing through with the crew taking in the sights and also sometimes the smells. Yes, these rural farmers love to spread their animals mess, a treat from Gods to the res. Until the rural runs out and hits the urban spall. Traffic lights, cones and queues. Cars welded in a line. Frustrated faces. They see us Adventurers in their mirrors and filter through. They acknowledge we are a happy go lucky crew.

Stopping for lunch at the finest chip shop at the ends of Pontypridd; A traditional Welsh delicacy of chips and ABR banter. Around the pavement tables for a good old natter. A time for reflection. Just why has the Welsh sun popped its head out again? We each our chips and ponder whether we will see the rain when travelling over the next hill whilst perhaps acclimatising to the mist over the next mountain or indeed whether the sun will guide us again shining the way through the next valley and over the hills to our next plunder.

So; the sun is out and all travellers are fuller and bolder. Onwards we head on the infamous A470 up to Merthyr and right over through the hillsides to Hay-on-Wye, famous for its bookshops. We stop at the cafe; Tea, cakes and coffee, the order of the day. Each of the crew bound to this delicatessen. We all line the outside of the cafes with bikes double parked for the tourists to admire and talk about their own ambiguous ambitions.
Off we hike, coasting back up through the mountains. Endless miles of twisting, winding roads. The Welsh sun intermittent; the pattern of the day. Dependant on our location; whether too far up or so low down. The clouds bursting at their seams when happening upon pin pricks from trees or the jutting out of rocks bring the rain down upon the flocks.

The downpour a tribute from the cries on the Welshmen’s ancestors tears. The Welsh people all hardened and bound by the weather. Adapted and acclimatised to the pain; Inflicted by years of this terrain and not forgetting all that oppression; Decisions of misgiving and remission. The ABR crew soaked in this Welsh stain and learned the history from this gain. Yes, a joyous day out, alas, time to head home. Aluns followers are led home across the marvellous mountainous terrain to the sanctuary of the warm Ancient Britain.

The party disbands. The keen ones were lead to Touratec for the tour of Mr Plumb’s Aladdin’s cave and penthouse for the German BMW. Craig offering tea and coffee free of charge one again. This motorcycling hospitality seldom seen outside of this fair trade industry; A testament to everyone and gratitude for the time given by the ABR riders.
With a whoosh and some flair. A real sight to be seen. BigAcePete, mules in with his muddied clan in tow. One smashed his front end. An hour or so with a plastic welder will heal the prang and the ego restored. Yes, a future scar and a badge to the ego.

BigAcePete departs off home with fresh joy, whilst around the corner nearly swinging off his muddy toy. So good to see the smile on the face, shimmer with the smirk of the rainy, toil of the day. His special recruits anointed with the man’s exceptional vigour.

Jason arrives with Sir KTM Jon and their entire group raucous with their very own day’s riding rigour. A great day was had by all and all topped off with Craig’s welcoming tea and calming regale; A delightful warmth to the day’s end. Each rider’s weary bones and aching ego’s bounced back up with the memories of the day’s long haul and spoil from their paddle in the little river.

The cries are held aloft as all head back to the comfort and warmth of the infamous Ancient Britain’s regailer. As Gerald and Co; pour out the pints and fill the stomachs of the adventurous lads and lasses of the ABR who signed up for this spectacular bound of pleasure.

I ride home the scenic route with Big Kev leading the way..Caerdydd only over the crest. So all i can say is Thanks to one and all. A real pleasure to meet you all. I’ll enjoy a future toil in the ABR’s next muddier soil with all who are brave to enter the ABR’s next venture.

A Hywl Fawr
From me Christian
......and special thanks to Alun and all involved and organising this Exciting ABR Adventure...made me sign up and sorry for long winded post/ride report
Browndog

Post by Browndog »

WOW.

Great report Christian.

I dont remember you looking as well as your avatar! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Good to have you here.

IMG_1579.JPG
IMG_1579.JPG (59.86 KiB) Viewed 7349 times
wobblywalton

Post by wobblywalton »

I endorse all the above comments. Great weekend, my first ABR rally. Can't make the Simmer, but have booked the Midlands. I hope to meet some of my new friends there.

Thanks to everyone for putting on such a good event. A lot of hard work must have gone into it.

Neil.

Return to “ABR Welsh Rally Brecon Beacons 29th June - 1st July 2012”