Re: Spanish Pyrenees: May 28th - June 1st, 2012

Simon_100

Re: Spanish Pyrenees: May 28th - June 1st, 2012

Post by Simon_100 »

britfrog wrote:Hi simon, was walking the husky the other night and came across a lynx in the vinyards nearbye, it made a blood curdling sort of hissing howl, didnt half scare the f out of me , he was bigger than my dog, then he was off , ran home to tell wifey but all i could show were his huge pawprints in the soft soil, i suppose you must come across these guys regularly higher in the hills. a real pity i didnt get a pic of him, but i dont think i could have kept the camera from shaking.
Wow Nigel - you don't often get to see a Lynx anywhere, let alone rural France or so I would have imagined!

As far as I know there are no wild Lynx at all in the Spanish Pyrenees, although there is a breeding station near us at Plans de Son in the Parc Natural d'Alt Pirineus. These are European Lynx, the one you nwill have seen, and there is a possibility of a reinroduction scheme in the future.

The Iberian Lynx is quite another matter, they have never been in the Pyreneeas and the few that remain are either way down south in Andalusia or a tiny population somwhere in the Cordillera Cantabria, which is where the Picos de Europa are. I say 'somewhere' as these locations are kept highly secret!

As I say, you're lucky! We had friends to stay with their Turkish Kangal dog, an amazing creature! Between them they found two red deer living near our house, there's a big reserve of them in one of the HISS trails. Otherwise she's big on squirrels, genets and of course rabbits. Strangely she's completely unmoved by Wild Boar - unlike me, they're pretty frigtening when you come across them face to face!

Sort of keeping on topic :evil: I've been exploring some possibilties for later HISS events, not sure I'd like to ride my bike here though!

Cheers

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “ABR Spanish Rally Pyrenees 28th May - 1st June 2012”