**Salisbury Plain Rally 2015** 21st 22nd 23rd August 2015

cadoganpier

Re: **Salisbury Plain Rally 2015** 21st 22nd 23rd August 2015

Post by cadoganpier »

On a slightly different note, whats the situation with wild camping on the plain, is it possible?
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

cadoganpier wrote:On a slightly different note, whats the situation with wild camping on the plain, is it possible?
Afraid thats a big no no....The MOD would not like that at all nor would i do it. You could be fast asleep and suddenly have a fire fight around you. You could go to sleep and wak up in the morning to find yourself now inside a closed area.

The rest of the land is farming and while they are normally OK i don't think they would like people on their land.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

A big thank you to Mike for organising and Dave for leading a small band--had a great time--and a great ride on the plain superbly managed and navigated by Dave.

Just unloaded and washed the bike!--a bit stiff I am!--and a big up for the Seat concepts foam and cover--my rear says thank you.

Just a few pics I'm afraid
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

Well what an eventful ABR rally once again, across Salisbury organized, by Mr Sex god himself, Mike :whistle:

Great company, great rides, great fun.
Ended up leading a harder small bike ride of 3, including me and i knew the other 2 as well as they come from Kentbyways FB group ;)

I led off at my normal slow pace and we had great fun diving into puddles, swerving around 4x4's and basically trying to get lost. After about 3 hrs of that in 29 degrees of heat we reached our lunch stop, had a couple of cakes and a long cool drink.

We set off, without a care in the world, myself leading, then it all started going tits up. :pinch:

Riding down the road, I looked down at the sat nav for a second to see where we were going next and looked up, the car in front had slammed his brakes on. :pinch:

I grabbed a handful of front Brembo, they are really strong brakes on the CCM and that was it......

The front tyre slide out and i was on the deck, probably only doing 30, but landed on both knees.

Lying on the deck, I looked up and saw a car coming the other way so rolled out of its way...... he mounted the kerb and missed me, thank god!!!!!

This was the result of the little fall, Image

Damage to the bike was a snapped front brake lever.

Anyhow after dusting myself off and in a bit of pain, got back on the bike.

Now Dave was leading, cheers Dave, he had the route on his sat nav. I said I would take it easy at the back, as i was only running on the back brake.

We still had another 4 hrs of fun on the plains, I just used the back brake and the gears to slow down, I'm used to riding like that anyway as I commute every day through London.

Dave had a puncture an hour after the crash, so I had a bit of R and R whilst he changed his tube, for one that Robert had.... I repaired the puncture in the shade.

We then carried on, for another hour. We crossed the A303 and was heading for StoneHenge when we came across 7 other bikes all parked up on the byway. Most were GS's with trail tires, but the reason they had stopped was a clever guy with a Duke Multi 1200, with road slicks on decided it would be cool to go green laning. He had a big fat hole in his tubeless tyre and it was as flat as Mikes chest. Eventually his mates would come back with a plug for the tyre, so Robert sold the guy his mini RAC compressor to assist the pumping up of the tyre, as they had no tools whatsoever. We then continued as the rain started falling from the sky.

Several hours later we arrived back at the campsite the last group, around about 6ish.

Well at least we had an adventure.

My leg had a cold compress late at night in the club house and i also had a burger that had 4 different types of animal in it, it was mint!!!! :evil:

I then retired to the smallest tent on the campsite and died in my tent.

Mike Thank You for a great weekend, top man, I will be there next year.
Thanks to Robert Eagle for carrying every tool, under the sun, so we could fix almost anything out on the plains.
Thanks to Dave for leading in the afternoon, and for giving me and my bike a lift home, well he was driving past my house.

Here are some more pixs and a short video.

The Old teaching the Young

Well I'm taking a couple days off work, to let the brusing come out and the pain to subside.

Cheers si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

roberteagle6

Post by roberteagle6 »

Hi Mike, many thanks for a great weekend - looking forward to next year.
Also many thanks to Si and Dave for leading and waiting for me to catch up :whistle:
A team effort and happy to help out, learnt a bit and must buy a walking stick !
MHsnowy

Post by MHsnowy »

Yes just to repeat what everyone else has said...Thanks Mike for organising great weekend. Started on Friday morning with me leaving home at 7am from Hertfordshire. I rode to meet with my mate Bert near Heathrow and then via Slough, windsor and a quick stop at a cafe just outside Bracknell. From here we rode the remainder on probably 60 - 70% of green roads to the campsite where we arrived at about 4pm. Met some great new characters and talk utter bollocks about bikes and camping gear.....utterly fantastic. Only got home at 6 tonight as on Sunday we decided to ride back up across the Plain in the pissing rain following more green roads all the way up to Royal Wooton Bassett where we cut onto the medaled roads and on to Tewksbury to a nice dry Travelodge. This morning we popped into the backpackinglight shop before coming back to Hertfordshire. 2 days of non stop rain!

I have a couple of photos of us trying to get up the slippery slope of chalk/clay.
IMG_2625.JPG
IMG_2625.JPG (70.59 KiB) Viewed 16677 times
IMG_2626.JPG
IMG_2626.JPG (89.21 KiB) Viewed 16677 times
Also a couple on the way to salisbury on the friday.

IMG_2621.JPG
IMG_2621.JPG (42.78 KiB) Viewed 16677 times
IMG_2622.JPG
IMG_2622.JPG (65.08 KiB) Viewed 16677 times
gazzi

Post by gazzi »

thanks to mike for the weekend ! first time out with abr ! really enjoyed ! big thank you to MHsnowey and his mate for leading me and biketrav ! hope to meet again !
goose273

Post by goose273 »

My chum Steve and I had a great ride on Easter Sunday using your "Track 003" .gpx route. Just wanted to say thanks...
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

No problem..glad you liked it. I threw those together at the last min from memory.

There is loads more to see and do though.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts

Return to “Salisbury Plain Rally 2015** 21st 22nd 23rd August 2015”