Boil Rally Feedback

The ABR Rally season kicks off in Takoda Camping, Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria
James691

Boil Rally Feedback

Post by James691 »

Hiya Gang -

I was wondering if I could trouble you for some feedback please?

I know we all had a crackig time of it over the weekend but I would really appreciate your views on what went well and what you thought could have been improved upon, added, removed.

This will not only help in the planning of rides and events for the next boil but it will help Paul and Maria know how it all went for their new venture.

Great!
I loved the atmosphere.
I loved the field.
Location is perfect for touring both Cumbria and the Dales.
Curry night was a great idea and always good to have a charity element to any event.
Paul and Maria are outstanding hosts and we could not have hoped for a better welcome.
Even to the thoughtful stage of making small wooden squares for the foot rest of the bikes :)

Seriously well done Paul and Maria!

What I'd like to see.
A posted loose agenda sheet of what is on offer in the way of rides.
When the meeting will be.
Who will be running the rides.
What time (subject to hangovers) that meeting wil be.
When will the BOIL off take place and what is on offer for the winner.
A welcome meeting for people to attend;

A mass hello from Paul and Maria going over camp rules - quite time and welcome.
A hello from Alun about what ABR is doing and will be doing as it grows.
A hello from the RideOut Leaders about what they plan to do.

On the ride:
More time given in the beauty spots for pictures.
Have a set max group number to be picked by the forum based on past expirence.

The Camp
Firepits and wood on sale at the camp - perhaps half oil barrels placed on thier sides and could used as BBQ pits as well as camp fires.

How long the Boil lasts -
Is a weekend enough or would a long weekend give people the chance to take in more rides?

No one is a Negative Nelly on ABR but there is always room for improvment? :)

Would you like to see talks put on by members doing this for free about adventures they have had?

The more feedback Alun and Paul have the easier it is to make another great rally that suits as many needs as possible.

Thanks again.

James
Dancing in the moonlight
CRAIGREVO

Re: Boil Rally Feedback

Post by CRAIGREVO »

I love the idea of fire pits/barrels.

I'm not keen on talks as its to structured and I could be riding or having a laugh.

A notice board would be good for communication.

Vetted ride leaders as ours was a knob! :laugh:

Beer raffles to get round the licensing laws, so we can buy beer on site. ;)

And a short mass ride out to a local cafe would be awesome. :evil:
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

CRAIGREVO wrote: And a short mass ride out to a local cafe would be awesome. :evil:
From the site, a mass ride out to Hartside is well do-able but about 35 mins each way and they're well equipped to deal with 40-50 motorcyclists which can't be said of many caffs.
Paul

Post by Paul »

James691 wrote:Hiya Gang -

I was wondering if I could trouble you for some feedback please?

I know we all had a crackig time of it over the weekend but I would really appreciate your views on what went well and what you thought could have been improved upon, added, removed.

This will not only help in the planning of rides and events for the next boil but it will help Paul and Maria know how it all went for their new venture.

Great!
I loved the atmosphere.
I loved the field.
Location is perfect for touring both Cumbria and the Dales.
Curry night was a great idea and always good to have a charity element to any event.
Paul and Maria are outstanding hosts and we could not have hoped for a better welcome.
Even to the thoughtful stage of making small wooden squares for the foot rest of the bikes :)

Seriously well done Paul and Maria!

What I'd like to see.
A posted loose agenda sheet of what is on offer in the way of rides.
When the meeting will be.
Who will be running the rides.
What time (subject to hangovers) that meeting wil be.
When will the BOIL off take place and what is on offer for the winner.
A welcome meeting for people to attend;

A mass hello from Paul and Maria going over camp rules - quite time and welcome.
A hello from Alun about what ABR is doing and will be doing as it grows.
A hello from the RideOut Leaders about what they plan to do.

On the ride:
More time given in the beauty spots for pictures.
Have a set max group number to be picked by the forum based on past expirence.

The Camp
Firepits and wood on sale at the camp - perhaps half oil barrels placed on thier sides and could used as BBQ pits as well as camp fires.

How long the Boil lasts -
Is a weekend enough or would a long weekend give people the chance to take in more rides?

No one is a Negative Nelly on ABR but there is always room for improvment? :)

Would you like to see talks put on by members doing this for free about adventures they have had?

The more feedback Alun and Paul have the easier it is to make another great rally that suits as many needs as possible.

Thanks again.

James
James, looks like you have put some thought into this and I agree with everything you have said, it's all do-able.
Now that we have seen what 48 tents looks like (with bikes not cars) we can comfertably up the numbers quite significantly for 2012.
I appreciate you spending time on this.
Thanks James, see you at Ripley?
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Change nowt.

Informal is good for me as it allows people to mix as and when they wish, ride when they want to, where they want to and with who they want to.

Fires & alcohol, in my experience, are not a good mix, so no to open fires from me

Bar humbug from the Welshman :whistle:

Steve T

B)

Well, you did ask for opinions :lol:
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
900Fantrider

Post by 900Fantrider »

Vetted ride leaders as ours was a knob!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ive just pissed my towelling robe!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Too many Cagiva Elefants, Gran Canyons and Ducatis!
Azzalin SP and various others.
africajim

Post by africajim »

Steve T wrote:Change nowt.

Informal is good for me as it allows people to mix as and when they wish, ride when they want to, where they want to and with who they want to.

Fires & alcohol, in my experience, are not a good mix, so no to open fires from me

Steve T

B)

Well, not often I agree with you Steve but on this occasion, agree totally. Informal is good, folk then do their own thing and can socialize to find out what others are doing and simply tag on if they like.

I enjoyed my weekend immensely, a bit more communication regarding ride outs would have been good. Hopefully we will demonstrate our superior organizational skills at the HABR Rally in Ullapool later in the year! I'll happily lead one of the road rides. ;)

One thing I've seen on my travels was a BBQ area at a site just out of Oban, somewhere safe to cook and under cover, I'll see if I can find a pic of it, in fact, I'll ask Fiona to see if she can find one!
Honda, the power of dreams.
James691

Post by James691 »

Paul wrote:James, looks like you have put some thought into this and I agree with everything you have said, it's all do-able.
Now that we have seen what 48 tents looks like (with bikes not cars) we can comfertably up the numbers quite significantly for 2012.
I appreciate you spending time on this.
Thanks James, see you at Ripley?
Yes mate, I have been riding around the glorious British countryside thinking about things that have been brought up :) From the working of the Boil Rally to how a Cheese Rally would work then thoughts on Adventure Rally limited funds challenge and many other things. Always happy to help out Buddy!

To make it clear there was NOTHING wrong with that Rally :) It was by far the best that I have been to and I have been to a few ;)

I was mindfull that this was your first event and thought that some feedback would be good. Now you know what the field holds and what the guests like to have to hand.

I was also thinking it may be wise to have a deposit system for the next one as about 12? did not turn up and people had been turned away from the rally that would have loved to have come.

So, what I would like to do is look at all the feedback options - present them to you and Alun and the options that are viable then put them on a thread vote.
Dancing in the moonlight
James691

Post by James691 »

Steve T wrote:Change nowt.

Steve T

B)

And yours is just as valid, welcome and needed as anyone elses Mate :)
Dancing in the moonlight
scouse

Post by scouse »

Ah... Cheese Rally... this is a start... :D

http://www.britishcheese.com/
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen

Return to “ABR FIRST TO THE BOIL RALLY APRIL 15th 2011”