Post Boil Rally Report

The ABR Rally season kicks off in Takoda Camping, Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria
James691

Post Boil Rally Report

Post by James691 »

Only just got back on the forum as I could not stop riding, headed off after the Boil and just got in today after popping down to see Alun then cutting over to the Brecon for the Nature Rally. Last but not least was the 150 miles of twisting Welsh roads back to Liverpool.

What a fantastic weekend :)

Far too many names for me to remember but I would like to thank everyone, as it was the attitude of every rider on that field that made the event what it was!

No live bands

No Stalls

Just a great bunch of people there to chill out and ride motorbikes - what more could you ask for. The conversation flowed, as did the beer and the stories got taller the more beer that was sunk!

I went to an ABR Rally with a load of Bikers, I came back with a load of mates and a huge grin.

A bit of a ride report as it just would not be me if it was less than a 500 word post now would it! :blush: I've poached some pictures to help tell the tale - thanks to Philsafucker, Mark and Alun.

This rally, like so many a wonderful idea was born from nothing, a simple idea to meet up in a field and go for a ride out perhaps the next day. What happened was the most entertaining and welcoming event that I have ever been to.

I got there first on the Friday and Datsun and Davatso had been there since Thursday. I was unsure if I was in the right place as it was landscaped and had buildings, I had in mind a field full of sheep shit and a porta loo.

I was greeted by Paul and Maria - the Hosts of the ABR Boil Rally and a more welcome greeting I could not have had. A coffee in hand and a chat with Paul about bikes and the camp was in order as I got the grand tour.

Plush sitting area with twin radiators (I'd put them to good use later on I was sure!) and marble tiles on the shower room floor!! Recycle bins and a cooking area that is the main reception. The field is cut in two, a larger section separated by a hedge but with a walking gap in the corner to connect the fields. All this set down and away from the road side and just walking distance from a Pub and Chip Shop!!

A large stream ran down the side of the far boundary of the camp as some Parrots, yes Parrots flew over head. I was waiting for the little guy from Fantasy Island to come running out shouting 'de plane Boss, de plane!'.

There was also to be a curry night tonight! I could smell the spice from the camp entrance as I had sailed down the long gravel covered path.

Paul and Maria had done a wonderful job and it would show in the gratitude of the riders that had started to come in.

I picked a spot very near to the food hall! It was also close to the toilets, a large wooden picnic bench and nestled next to a hedge row for wind protection, after the curry this did seem to be a good spot. Also I had a running stream next to my pitch, all in all a perfect spot to doss down.

my pitch.jpg
my pitch.jpg (127.12 KiB) Viewed 10675 times

The fields filled up with bikers but there was still so much more room, this was a test weekend for Paul and unaware of how 50 tents would look he had booked to what he thought was a good number. I’m sure that next year there will be twice the numbers!

Boil-DSC_0032.jpg
Boil-DSC_0032.jpg (35.15 KiB) Viewed 10675 times

So with tents pitch and hands shaken in greeting the ABR event was getting well under way. People just mingled around and sat chatting about our bikes of course. The food would be on and folks had been popping back and forth to the local town to fill the now empty top boxes with beer and snacks.

We headed in for a curry and Jesse had done an outstanding job on the spicy mix. There was nothing I would not eat and I went up twice, even with my appetite I could only just polish off seconds!

Boil-DSC_0050.jpg
Boil-DSC_0050.jpg (34.54 KiB) Viewed 10675 times

A full tum but always room for beer we headed off to various mini camps that changed in number as people just mixed about saying hello and generally having a damn fine time of it.

beer_2011-04-20.jpg
beer_2011-04-20.jpg (109.91 KiB) Viewed 10675 times

Come late on a few of us being worse for wear - some more so than others! The early start ride was going to be put off till late morning.

oh dear_2011-04-20.jpg
oh dear_2011-04-20.jpg (69.39 KiB) Viewed 10675 times

Come the dawn of the Saturday and bodies came forth like the dawn of the living dead, roaming around the field in search of coffee instead of brains. There was a mass felling of who was doing what! I was in the process of sorting out who was leading rides and what routes when Doctor Zippy waved and headed off. I had assumed he was going the shops but he was off on his ride, having not been told anything he naturally thought that people had just been happy to mill about.

But Zippy was put forward as a Road Rider! So now down to one road rider I had 6 mins to plot and plan a route for the road riding adventurers. I came up with a route that would take in 3 passes as a minimum and time allowing we could see some sights around Buttermere.

Lancaster Mick plotting routes.
Boil-DSC_0053.jpg
Boil-DSC_0053.jpg (45.38 KiB) Viewed 10675 times

Lancaster Mick and I went around to ask people who wanted to ride that we would be meeting at 10am at the food hall.

Sorted!

Two Road rides

Three Off Road rides

I had 12 riders in my group and we set off at an easy pace for the delights of the Cumbrian countryside.

Fell passes galore and after a ride over Hardknott pass we stopped at the Woolpack Inn for some grub. Looking back I should have plotted in more time for photo stops but I was riding the high twisting roads of the single tracks. It was amazing and I just wanted to ride, power into as many corners as I could and then ride off down the straights with a sheer drop at the side me. The most panoramic vista that shone on a gloriously sunny day was not one for stopping for me.

[video][/video]

What I could and should have done is given people the stop point and then they could stop and take photos galore and meet us when they were good and ready - a learning point for next years rally or even one later on this year perhaps.

riders.jpg
riders.jpg (56.81 KiB) Viewed 10675 times

We covered 170 miles and got back at 6pm - with just 2 bikes hitting the dirt, well it was hitting the river was more factual. We had crossed a rather slippy Ford. There was a route around and most went over at the own risk. Alun, who was second place just came straight across with me, though he was more sideways than straight as we got to the other side. To his credit he was two up and powered across like a pro while I was doing the ‘hold on the handlebars for dear life’ wiggle just ahead of him.

Boil-DSC_0094.jpg
Boil-DSC_0094.jpg (40.5 KiB) Viewed 10675 times
opps.jpg
opps.jpg (43.81 KiB) Viewed 10675 times

Back at the camp we swapped tales of damage, daring and stupidity - there was plenty to go around!

Some of us headed to the local pub via the chip shop. Hear it shows the hospitality of the locals and the welcome we had, the chip shop stayed open for an extra hour and half for us and the pub landlord is now a member of the forum!

Some had stayed behind at the camp to do a BBQ, it was by all accounts the funniest BBQ ever. This was the running ethos of ABR, you do what you want, when you want and you are always welcome no matter what it is you want to do. Be it go the pub, stay and have a Bbq, sit alone and reflect or repair your bike from the adventure ride that day. No hassle, no pressure - just come along.

Boil-DSC_0129.jpg
Boil-DSC_0129.jpg (43.09 KiB) Viewed 10675 times

Saturday night was COLD and my air bed had bust, so I in direct contact with the ground. Hardcore my frozen arse cheeks! I grabbed my bags and headed off into the food hall, moving a few tables and snuggled down by the radiator. I must admit that I had to wake up to turn it down a notch as it was getting a tad warm in there while my friends froze outside being hardcore.

If there is a way to keep warm - I’ll take it!

Sunday was a sad day, as tents packed away and friends made their way off to places new and home. The general consensus was that two days was not enough and that we must do this again!

Indeed we must and I will be there no matter what - missing an event like this is a travesty in my opinion.

Never take life or yourself too seriously :)

reach for the sun.jpg
reach for the sun.jpg (160.78 KiB) Viewed 10675 times
James691
Dancing in the moonlight
James691

Re: Post Boil Rally Report

Post by James691 »

edit done. all pics should be working now :)
Dancing in the moonlight
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Great account of the boil mate. ;)
Bluepaul

Post by Bluepaul »

Nice write up :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I'm already "champing at the bit" for the next one.

Ill just have to content myself with the Nature Rally for the moment.

Cheers :)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Nice report James, looking forward to meeting you again, soon I hope!
James691

Post by James691 »

Bluepaul wrote:Nice write up :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I'm already "champing at the bit" for the next one.

Ill just have to content myself with the Nature Rally for the moment.

Cheers :)
There may be plans for a Rally down south mate - keep watching the forum for news :) In the mean time keep those Nature rally pictures coming in mate - the weather is glorious ;)
Dancing in the moonlight
James691

Post by James691 »

Paul wrote:Nice report James, looking forward to meeting you again, soon I hope!
Thanks Paul :) and looking forward to seeing you both again.

Thank you both again so very much for all the hard work you put into this :) It is very much appreciated mate. ABR Boil is now a fixed mark in the ABR calander me thinks!

Hope you put that beer to good use my friend ;)
Dancing in the moonlight
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

A nice report James. You hit the nail on the head there mate.

The plan was 'no plan, just make it up as we go along' and it worked a treat.

Bring on the next one............................
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
James691

Post by James691 »

Mark1961 wrote:A nice report James. You hit the nail on the head there mate.

The plan was 'no plan, just make it up as we go along' and it worked a treat.

Bring on the next one............................
So looking forward to it mate :)
Dancing in the moonlight

Return to “ABR FIRST TO THE BOIL RALLY APRIL 15th 2011”