ABR Shropshire Rally Road Ride

James691

ABR Shropshire Rally Road Ride

Post by James691 »

I don't know but I'm feeling a bit of a farmland single track urge!

Given the weather this could prove rather fun and give a little excitement - I'm on road tyres and those that come on the ride - we take our time and we get through to the end.

There are lots of places that cut back to the main roads if the play time is eating up the ride time.

I would like to take in Clee Hill as that is listed as one of the best roads in the UK on a few sites and of course 'The Bog'.

ROAD RIDE

A basic from the hip idea and of course we can change route and take in other places if others have a hankering for a certain view of something.

Either way :) it is going to be interesting!

You can zoom down on google map to see the actual road in real time - most are single track, some look a little worse for wear with the odd green bit in the middle poking out.

I'm open to suggestions - :)

If anyone is open to taking a Green Lane ride out then please let me know.

As per usual - we can sort most things out on the Friday over a beer and change things during the ride for hunger, thirst, wee wee breaks and the good ole "Oh!! what's that thing over there?" course alterations :)
Dancing in the moonlight
Redmurty

Re: ABR Shropshire Rally Road Ride

Post by Redmurty »

Not sure who is listing the Clee hill Road as one of the best in Britain, on a good day it's a decent view but the road itself is pretty average. One of the best roads that end is Craven Arms to Bridgnorth, very busy bikers road with a considerable police presence at times.
Craven Arms to Bridgnorth then onto Kidderminster and back through might be an option. The run from ChurchStoke to Craven arms is decent, but from where you are a run up to bala through Welshpool is easy. Up and over Long Mind is interesting if you go past the gliding club
Just a few thoughts, I know these roads well

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
James691

Post by James691 »

Slight amendment to the ride 'plan' as I REALLY want to take in the Burr Way and Port Way :woohoo:

Cheers Spud - Bit too much dual lane for me and Bala is a bit far off to cover the single lane work - beautiful roads as they are! Long Mynd is amazing and I will be taking that route again when we run the Welsh Rally, as well as Llanberis pass and the usual suspects of Snowdonia. That route is great for sweeping bends and long views of the road ahead - allowing for greater speed - and I suspect why you get a lot of Police on there.

I'm looking, on this one, for more single lane work and views rather than sweepers - nothing better on a sunny day than a nice long gentle sweeper. In the cold I want to get out on the untreated back roads and see what trouble I can get into ;)

Great roads and I may pick your brains on the area later if that's OK.
Dancing in the moonlight
markoh

Post by markoh »

If you get a chance a great road to add in is the B4368, it runs from Bridgenorth via Craven Arms to NE of Newtown where it joins the B4386 to Montgomery and Bishop's Castle.

Cheers
Mark
James691

Post by James691 »

This kind of a deal Markoh?

ROAD RIDE Alpha.
Dancing in the moonlight
markoh

Post by markoh »

Looks good.
Stevied

Post by Stevied »

Hi James,congrats on the new arrival.
Hope to meet up for this ride.
Not camping.
Hopefully see you there.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

The Clun Road through to Kerry is an interesting run. Had a good look and can see what your doing. Couple of good bail out points, so as you say should the day run away with you you can get back to the camp site. The run over the "portway" is a good one with good views the road up from Church Stretton can be erm interesting. Been looking for meal points for you. Obvious one are, Harry Tuffins at Craven Arms and Church Stoke, petrol at both places.I will continue racking what grey matter I have got if you have any p[oints James ask them as it may jog a memory cheers Spud ;)

James691

Post by James691 »

Look forward to it Stevied!

Should be a lot of fun :)
Dancing in the moonlight
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Redmurty wrote:The Clun Road through to Kerry is an interesting run. Had a good look and can see what your doing. Couple of good bail out points, so as you say should the day run away with you you can get back to the camp site. The run over the "portway" is a good one with good views the road up from Church Stretton can be erm interesting. Been looking for meal points for you. Obvious one are, Harry Tuffins at Craven Arms and Church Stoke, petrol at both places.I will continue racking what grey matter I have got if you have any p[oints James ask them as it may jog a memory cheers Spud ;)
Plenty of Pubs and cafes for food in Church Stretton and a Cafe at Cardingmill which is "National Trust" not sure when it is open though I think it's seasonal.You will get petrol at Church Stretton as well. There is a couple of "greasy spoons" on the 49 as well.

There is a great cafe on the Bridgnorth to Kidderminster road just outside of Bridgnorth where 100's of bikes meet at time, good stop if anyone is going that way.

cheers Spud

Return to “Feb 2013 - ABR Shropshire Rally: 15th, 16th 17th”