Chilterns Muddy Ride Out

Mad Cow

Re: Chilterns Muddy Ride Out

Post by Mad Cow »

Just to confirm I'm happy to lead a ride on Sunday most probably an easy one! I think we'll sort something out on Sunday morning based on who wants to ride, experience levels and tyres.

I'm not sure which way Matt and Ollie will be going on Saturday but I went out this mornng to check on a group of lanes at Totternhoe(close to the campsite). These are the only part of my route I haven't ridden before and are a bit complicated due to various levels of Traffic Regulation Orders. I have now confirmed "on the ground" what restrictions are where (and most don't apply to bikes :laugh: ) and had a chance to assess the conditions.

The lanes were really slippery as it's clay over chalk and quite frankly it was pouring down! I was on pukka enduro tyres (but the back is well worn) So based on that if it's wet best avoided on any road biased tyres. If dry I suspect they will be a breeze.

Hopefully the weather will be kind to us especially as it looks like the views from these lanes will be excellent
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Hello Russ,
Just looked @ you'r very muddy pictures again & realized that it's not your bike upside down in a 3 foot puddle, it's some other poor sole. So sorry about the reference to a polaris missile with a white nosecone.
I must admit that I try to avoid anything that makes the Engine Cut Out.
Oh! & I try not to do cold wet feet, hence the Dunlop insulated, steel reinforced "Yellow Wellies" although now & again I exit stage right & get stuck in a bush. I'm hoping to pop in on friday evening to say hello to everybody & then back saturday/sunday for some off roading. I shall be over in essex thursday green laneing so it's a lot of bike cleaning & chain lube next week end.
I'm realy looking forward to it, 4 days of biking for me. See you all then come rain or shine.
Brian.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Just a quick safety notice..yep we do care.

As Mad Cow said if its wet before the meet the trails will be too dangerous for the road tyre riders..it`ll be slippery enough for us with knobblys so I`ll leave it for both the ride out leaders and the individuals them selves to descide..but you may have/want to join the road ride outs as hospital is not a option.

Enduro tyres dont have up to 15mm block tread depth for nothing.. :whistle:

have fun and see everyone on over the weekend
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

The good news is the forecast looks dry for the week to come with sunny spells and it being quite breezy, which all bodes well for the lanes drying out.

Not all the lanes on my proposed route are adversely affected by the wet, so should be OK short of a torrential downpour next weekend; As a little taster, these photos were taken yesterday and are all on the proposed route:

DSCF0706.JPG
DSCF0706.JPG (62.82 KiB) Viewed 7112 times
HERE looking West

DSCF0707-Copy.JPG
DSCF0707-Copy.JPG (123.35 KiB) Viewed 7112 times
HERE looking East

DSCF0710-Copy.JPG
DSCF0710-Copy.JPG (138.1 KiB) Viewed 7112 times
HERE looking North East
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
matthewcashmore

Post by matthewcashmore »

Hi there - so I'm on combination tyres - not knobblys, and have very little off-road experience other than gravel, which is all I seemed to ride in Australia!
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Hi mathew ..what do you call combination tyres? Make and model would help..
cheers
matthewcashmore

Post by matthewcashmore »

Sorry... Avon Distanzias.

m
pau1us

Post by pau1us »

Hi everyone,
Im a very newbie here, Im along for the ride on Saturday. Riding a Husky te630 with knobblies on, looking forward to seeing what green lane riding is like and looking forward to meeting everyone too :)
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Ho folks..

WE are now "FULL" for safty reasons and the leaders sanity :woohoo: ...
if you aint coming please post to make room for others..

thanks all.....scenic tour awaits :P
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

matthewcashmore wrote:Sorry... Avon Distanzias.

m
Distanzias should be OK and definitely OK if it stays dry. As I have pointed out before I have ridden virtually all of these lanes on Tourances, Battle Wings, Trail Wings and even some of them on 17" Pirelli Diablos ;) without major problems (actually without any problems)

The good news is that despite the downpour at the weekend, everything seems to be drying out nicely (one advantage of having chalk underneath the mud).

Forecast is looking OK, the BBC 5 day forecast says possible thunderstorms for Friday but The Met Office forecast says only "chance of showers on Friday".

At least they both agree Saturday looks dry :laugh:
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG

Return to “ABR Chilterns Chill Out Weekend March 22nd to 25th 2012”