LWR to Ullapool

The 'up north' ABR Rally in Ullapool, Scotland
LargeWayRound

LWR to Ullapool

Post by LargeWayRound »

What a great weekend , even the weather did not stop intrepid ABR's
making the effort to get to Ullapool. Was so pleased with the turn out and that everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

My Rally started on Friday at noon, finished up work and said my goodbyes to the wife and I was off.

It was raining in Aberdeen when I left but after 10 miles the sun came out.
Heading west to Strathdon then on to Tomintool (over the lecht).

Beating a path north , headed for Ullapool

On arrival got a great welcome from Jim, steve, fiona , dave .

Got the tent up sharpish .

Got everything sorted in the tent and then wandered down to The Seaforth with Rickskye for a outstanding fish supper.

Of course the conversation was Transalps 650's :) :laugh: , as Rick has a 07 / 650 like mine.

Later we joined the rest of the gang to chat until late.

Saturday Morning

Up early and got ready for the ride outs , thanks to Austin for doing the intro chat.

The single track adventurers following me, we headed north to the achiltibuie turn off. It was here we discovered that the advertised cycle race was heading the same route as us.

Passing was tricky as the cycles clogged the road but we made it through down to achnahaird for a quick head count and photo.

Heading down to polbain for a view of the summer isles .
And Paul's custom safety vest :)

Making a loop back up to the Lochinver road we stopped on top of the hill to get some snaps and pi$$ off the coastguard men . They wanted to turn around in the car park we had took over.

Heading up the single track road at a gentle pace was the order of the day, riders were given some pointers about what to expect road wise. And we did come across some of them , oncoming cars, sheep and wet slippy roads.

I gave a couple of people a scare (being leader) but thats what you get for driving to fast in a car around blind corners. The Lochinver road did not disappoint and some sunny weather helped with the outstanding views.

The lunch stop at Lochinver was well deserved but at a cost, the price of pies and a little salad was outrageous.

After lunch we set to the task of the Drumbeg road . Miles and Miles of outstanding single track roads. We headed for Stoer Point lighthouse , windy but still nice enough weather.

Still heading north we made for Drumbeg for a camera stop .

After 5 minutes we headed for the main road , still miles of single track road to go , met a couple more cars oncoming. The biggest nutter was driving a Rangerover , came round a blind corner at about 40mph. I stopped well in time and he went for the muddy verge. He then decided to gun the engine and got his car all muddy . Freekin' Nutter.

Reaching the main road , it started to rain and we all made our way down to Ullapool.
Was a great ride out and we all mad it without incident .

:)

Sunday

Woke to the sounds of people packing to head off . I was staying another day so spent the early morning saying goodbye to members.

Then I got on the bike for a solo ride out , heading to Laxford Bridge took the awesome road down to Lairg. Image

Headed for the Falls of Shin for some lunch, battled for a seat with a couple of coach parties. After a very nice feed headed back to Ullapool ,Stopped for a quick photo and was looking like the weather was closing in.

Back at camp, just in time for some photos and then the storm started.

Monday 3am

Woken by the storm wow , scarey stuff ,Heavy rain and very strong wind .

Monday 5am

Woken Again , tent was nearly blowing over . spent about an hour sitting waiting for the tent to go but good on it , it was ok .

Monday Morning 8am

After a shocking night , I appeared from my tent sleepy but dry and safe.

Started to pack up, ready for the off . Caught this picture (good sign)

I was second Last man off the site , spoke to Mr Ross (Manager) and he was pleased with our weekend. ABR is welcome back :) :)

I decided to head off down the Gairloch road , stopped for a quick photo . Image

Then on to Loch Maree , awesome roads .

Heading for Skye stopped at the Eillen Donan Castle for a snap .

Glancing at the clock , opps I was running late :dry: . Time to make progress, the road was clear of traffic and the roads were dryish so made good time.

Getting to Fort Augustus , remembered a hill road that we did with SteveT before, so heading for it. This is were my video camera decided to stop so no footage but I got a quick snap at the top of the hill.

Getting to the main road again, made lots of progress towards Aberdeen and got home about 7pm .

Very tired and Hungry , spend the night being looked after my wonderful wife .

All in All , a great weekend .

Thanks for everyone who contributed to the weekend.

Special note are the 2 intrepid ABR's on 125's (Ian & Paul) well done . :)

P.S I have lots of video , but I will have to post that another day .
gebrauchtwagen83

Re: LWR to Ullapool

Post by gebrauchtwagen83 »

Thanks for the report Craig. If I wasn't here enjoying a 27 degrees Spain I'd have been there!
BABY V

Post by BABY V »

Very good pictures Craig, I had a great time over the whole weekend but the roads that you took us on where just outstanding,

Thank you very much and will see yous all again

Cheers Paul
fionaann

Post by fionaann »

Hi Craig, cracking report there, lovely pics, there is even one of me :blush: thank you for a nice rideout, cant wait to do it again :)
Life is for living so go out there and live it, have fun, be happy.
Gaffer64

Post by Gaffer64 »

Hi thanks for the photo's and report.

Cheers

Mike G
davecopland

Post by davecopland »

Great report & pics Craig B)
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

Great report Craig and some lovely pictures especially the good looking dude on the red Triumph 800xc. :laugh: :laugh:
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
ty8ight

Post by ty8ight »

Fantastic pics and report...Thanks for posting. Looks like you all had a great time.
Would have loved to be there but had to work, as usual :(
BMW 1200GSA

Yamaha Tenere 1VJ
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Cheers everyone ..

A great weekend , we had .

Looking at the video footage, tonight .. going to be a while to get it edited together.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

like many ive been around a bit but ...
the west coast of scotland really takes some beating

lovly pics thanks for posting
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “ABR HIGHLAND SIMMER RALLY - 23/25th SEPT 2011”