Survival of a newbie

The 'up north' ABR Rally in Ullapool, Scotland
wianbiggar

Survival of a newbie

Post by wianbiggar »

Well I made it!!

All the way up - and all the way back down!!!

On arrival home -

Wet - sodden is more accurate - although to be fair really just my feet and hands.

Cold - just beginning to go that way - so timed well - back at 7pm (left at 8am.).

Tired - you betcha and just beginning to catch myself making silly mistakes as well as finding an increasing amount of lag between deciding to do something and the body reacting slower and slower.

Stiff - oh yeah

All of the above sorted by a long, hot shower and, shortly, a large drink.

But the smiles, enjoyment of the weekend and sense of achievment will last a long time.

Great to see people again and, as always, meet new faces and put faces to avatars.

Thanks to everyone, but especially those that organised it all - especially the sunshine on Saturday - can't tell you how much the hard work is appreciated.

Finally - a great big thank you to the kind folks at Lidl in Ft. William who, in their infinite wisdom still had one Foam Garden Kneeling Pad left especially for me - so, people of Lidl, I thank you, literally, from the heart of my bottom .... without you I may not have made it home!!

Thanks again everyone - what a blast

Ian

P.S. Who the hell was "Betty" - or was that one of my dreams?!!!
P.P.S. Will post some photos when I can!
AustinW

Survival of a newbie

Post by AustinW »

Well done Ian. I saw you at the Green Welly. You were pulling out the bike park just as I pulled into the filling station. Can't have been much fun on that 125.

Having said that it wasnt much fun on 1000cc. What a wet ride - heavy sideways rain across Rannoch Moor. Wettest ride for a long long time for me - by the time I got home 350 of the 450mile journey had been done in heavy rain including getting splashed from puddles on the other carriageway of the road through Dumbarton and on the M8 and M74. It hurts does that splash.

There were a few other ABR peeps at and around the Green Welly; a few seemed to want to call it a day and were calling into the guest house next door.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
Peejay

Re: Survival of a newbie

Post by Peejay »

Well done Ian, we passed you on the way, before the rain got to us all.

Was nice to meet you, and anyone who did that trip on a 125 deserves the title 'Adventure Bike Rider' B)

You'll soon have that licence and be travelling all over on one of those AT's.

PS keep hold of that kneeling pad, I've heard that the AT's seat isnt that kind either :whistle:
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

peejay wrote:PS keep hold of that kneeling pad, I've heard that the AT's seat isnt that kind either :whistle:
Don't know where you heard that ;)

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Gary117

Post by Gary117 »

Well done
2011 Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
trophydave

Post by trophydave »

peejay wrote:PS keep hold of that kneeling pad, I've heard that the AT's seat isnt that kind either :whistle:
Aint that the truth :)
davecopland

Post by davecopland »

Well done Ian , glad you made it home in one piece without having me following you :laugh: :laugh:
Good to have met you , all the best if & when you decide to do the test . I`ve dropped you a pm which I hope makes sense
Cheers
Dave

Return to “ABR HIGHLAND SIMMER RALLY - 23/25th SEPT 2011”