Austin's ride out Saturday 24th - "the end of the road tour"

The 'up north' ABR Rally in Ullapool, Scotland
AustinW

Austin's ride out Saturday 24th - "the end of the road tour"

Post by AustinW »

ROUTE AND DETAILS OF THE RIDEOUT UPDATED IN POST #10.

This is still in the research and planning stage but as I volunteered to lead a ride out and as the easiest and obvious routes are already claimed I thought about a sightseeing tour along some of the not so obvious routes.

I don't know about you lot but roads that go nowhere fascinate me, especially roads in Scotland that disappear into the mountains or to a beach, cliff top or whatever. I have a route in mind that takes in several dead end roads that should see us get to an abandoned village a remote beach (very rough road), a remote lighthouse & Hostel that I am trying to persuade to do some food and drinks, possibly a naval base that service nuclear subs and hopefully spectacular views throughout.

Length of ride out will depend on how many of the dead ends I plan - I don't think we can do it all as the return route is getting on for 200 miles and as this is largely on very minor roads average speed will be on the low side. I will try and get mileage down to about 120-150 so with stops that will be 4-5hours.

http://g.co/maps/jhbt5

http://g.co/maps/9fqsz

I could do with knowing numbers so if you fancy this run please post here. I think a max of 20 on this ride out so first 20 to post here will be on the ride.
AustinW

Re: Austin's ride out Saturday 24th - "the end of the road tour"

Post by AustinW »

track to slaggan.jpg
track to slaggan.jpg (117.06 KiB) Viewed 7775 times
We should get along here
bunker

Post by bunker »

That sounds like fun :blink: i'll have a crack though ;) as long as there are other folks to help me lift the steamer when i drop it!

Road tyres be ok?
Triumph Tiger 885
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

slaggan beach.jpg
slaggan beach.jpg (65.52 KiB) Viewed 7775 times
to here
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

rubha reid lighthouse.jpg
rubha reid lighthouse.jpg (80.8 KiB) Viewed 7775 times
and eventually to here
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

bunker wrote:That sounds like fun :blink: i'll have a crack though ;) as long as there are other folks to help me lift the steamer when i drop it!

Road tyres be ok?
I certainly hope so. I have not been along the track to the beach I(live in Lancashire and much as I would like to have a recce....) but it seems that it was tarmac'd at one time but has fallen into disrepair. I googled some pics and it looks very doable. I will be on a Vara shod with worn out Pirelli Scorpions. So I will be looking for help pushing me out first.
Barnman

Post by Barnman »

Sounds an interesting idea and I like the idea of exploring, so I am up for this :)
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

Sounds like a great plan, count me in.
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
david

Post by david »

Im up for it, Iv just got tyres on my Alp?????????
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

I have replanned the route. http://g.co/maps/fukg8

1. Start at the campsite at 10.00am on Saturday - please be fuelled up and ready to leave at 10.00. I will be riding a black Honda Varadero with a Touratech Ali Top Box. I should be on site from Friday afternoon (arriving from Isle of Lewis) so find me and say hello if you want to come on this ride.

2. Visit Corrieshalloch Gorge and waterfalls. (estimated arrival time 10.30 I think its just a short stroll to a viewpoint and to a rope bridge. Leave here by 11am.

3. Ride along the A832 along the coasts of Little Loch Broom and Gruinard Bay (Gruinard island - Anthrax; and spectacular beaches. There's aslo the WW2 naval base stuff around here too), to the Rubha Mor peninsula. (ETA 11.45) Ride to the end and a quick look at WW2 gun emplacements and stare at the sea.

3. Back down the road a couple of miles to what I hope is the highlight of the trip - the rough track to Slaggan Beach (about 3miles). (ETA at the beach 12.15) Explore the abandoned village and beach - leave by 1pm.

5. Return to A832 then head to Gairloch to buy lunch and then head North to Rua Reidh lighthouse. ETA Gairloch 1.30pm; ETA Lighthouse 2pm. Eat lunch, coffee, toilet stop but only limited facilities - vending machine. There is a visitor centre of some sort here.

5. Return to Gairloch then back along the A832 to visit Badluarach Ferry landing. (ETA 3pm) Not much here except a fishing and Ferry jetty for the isolated community of Scoraig on the opposite bank of the Loch.

6. Return to the campsite. ETA 4pm.

Total distance approx 152miles. There is Fuel in Ullapool, along the A832, and in Gairloch. If you need fuel en route tell me well before it gets desperate.

The pace of the run will be the legal limit or what ever is safe on open roads and if there is more than a few people I will need a volunteer to be tail end Charlie and use the second man drop off system.

This should be a fairly relaxed easy ride and an interesting run with plenty stops for rests, chats and photos and vists to a couple of very remote places with spectacular views all along. It is also flexible in that we can drop a couple of locations if time is pressing (I would drop the gorge if late leaving and the Jetty if late returning).

I am leaving home on Sunday 18th for a tour of the outer hebrides and its doubtful if I will have an internet connection after then so ask questions now. I am really looking forward to this

Return to “ABR HIGHLAND SIMMER RALLY - 23/25th SEPT 2011”