Northern rideout Sat.

The 'up north' ABR Rally in Ullapool, Scotland
africajim

Northern rideout Sat.

Post by africajim »

Ok folks, I've run the northern route a couple of times this summer to check out the route and had a final run today with the Mighty Varadero, to check out a few locations for photo stops and breaks!
I'll be in the campsite on Friday after a nice long run in and will be close by the white Tiger supping on a nice single malt from my local distillery, Glen Moray, other side of the town from me! (Linkwood's closer but more exclusive! LOL!)
My plan is simple, Friday evening, get to know everyone and have a dram (nothing new there then!) Sat morning, get up, have breakfast and mull with the folks, get the craic!
10.00, see who's interested in the northern run, get kitted up, and ensure everyone has enough fuel(200 miles between filling stations, although there's expensive petrol at Lairg) and bikes ready to rock.
The route is simple, north to Durness, trunk road, safe at 80mph, so at limit it'll be a stroll! On to Tongue, similar road conditions, a few twisties but wide open. Down to Lairg, a mix of single track and trunk road, casual run, 40 to 50mph, very scenic.
From Lairg to Ullapool, mostly single track, again 40 to 50mph, scenic road.
Around 200 miles, a few photo stops along the way, a couple of food stops, Durness and Lairg hopefully. Approx 5hrs ride time, back to Ullapool for around 16.00 to arrange supplies for the night and breakfast.
Any questions, just ask. Single track is easy enough but etiquet must be followed. I'm unsure of numbers but I'm not worried, much interest, we can work 2nd drop off if necessary. If there's only a few, we can discuss "rate of progress!" (Tiger will exceed twice limit easy)!
Yes, I can make progress, but that's not what this is about. I'm perfectly happy to have a nice casual run, plenty of pics and a good day had by all, so do not be intimidated by the thought of strange roads and speed.
See you all up there, remember, look for the white Tiger, drunk next to it! (Also white BMW650GS, female drunk next to it!)LOL!

Vara 0911.jpg
Vara 0911.jpg (354.34 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
Honda, the power of dreams.
Redmurty

Re: Northern rideout Sat.

Post by Redmurty »

On the road south from Tongue watch for the lumber trucks and the dear that like to run across the road. Ullapool is where I got up and close with a "Golden Eagle" it was sat in the road. cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
davem

Northern rideout Sat.

Post by davem »

Good advice there, those logging trucks nearly took some of us out last year they don't take prisoners :(

Wish I could be there great roads. Enjoy it ;)
africajim

Re: Northern rideout Sat.

Post by africajim »

Aye, met a couple of logging trucks yesterday, also a couple of cars,,, but,,, considering it was a round trip of 330 miles and I saw around a dozen vehiicles, not bad going really! LOL!
9.00 until 4.45 to cover 330 miles, a few breaks, a couple of offroad runs, a good day was had.
As they say, good planning makes for a good day!
Honda, the power of dreams.

Return to “ABR HIGHLAND SIMMER RALLY - 23/25th SEPT 2011”