Brum to Ullapool - including "Nature Rally"

The 'up north' ABR Rally in Ullapool, Scotland
Bluepaul

Post by Bluepaul »

I've got some time on my hands so I thought I would spend it working out a way to get to Ullapool.

Due to work I can't leave until Thursday 22nd at the earliest, and I don't fancy a 520 mile journey in one go.

So I was thinking of combining The Nature Rally sites in Scotland.

Set off from Birmingham Thurs. morning. Check in at Glentrool Visitor Centre (No 5) then head off to find a campsite.

Friday, set off from where ever I camped then visit Rally numbers 2, 3 & 4 on the way to Ullapool hopefully arriving late afternoon early evening.

Do's this seem viable, especially friday's journey given that I have never been anywhere near the west coast.

Also does anyone else fancy this journey ?
simon-vstrom

Re: Brum to Ullapool - including "Nature Rally"

Post by simon-vstrom »

Sounds tempting... I'm from Bristol so I'll ride past Brommy-land.

One question. Excuse my ignorance, but what do the Nature Rally numbers mean?

Simon
les049

Post by les049 »

Sounds good, I am trying to work out a route from Portsmouth so I would be interested in tagging along if i can get the extra time off work if you fancy company ? Would you be camping along the way ?
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Glentrool is a good distance from the M74 - allow a couple of hours. If you go, take the A712 at Crocketford to New Galloway and then on to Newton Stewart. Take a big grin with you coz this is a fabulous road. In fact the whole area is brill and ideal for adventure bikes.

When I organise my Galloway Forest trip on XRV.org we stay at Galloway Activity Centre on the east shore of Loch Ken. Camping, bunk house, cabins, yurts and all sorts. Theres food in a nice cafe (order in advance though) and generally a Very laid back atmosphere.

BUT there's loads of wild camp options here. Try the Carrick forest drive to the North and camp along the shore of Loch Doon - very popular. Or on either of the forest drives there's pull offs and picnic sites you could camp in. Also try around Stinchar bridge - there's a few grassy pull offs.

Don't forget Ullapool is still well over 300 miles from Galloway though - a long day to also go and get 3 or 4 those national park things.

Me, I am leaving the weekend before travelling via the outer Hebrides. I can't wait. Wooooohooooo.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
James691

Post by James691 »

I'll be heading up Thursday for some Scottish National Park locations but I will doing it in a oner. Hope to meet up with others coming from England and divert to get the Queen Elizabeth and Argyll forests as I have the Galloway and Cairgorms in the bag.

Sounds like a cracking way to start to the ABR rally tho mate, have fun and look forward to the pictures.
Dancing in the moonlight
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Going up from Stourbridge on the Thursday, you will find the further north you get the slower your average speed becomes (well mine does at least) 1. because of the roads, 2 because of the scenery, 3 because of the wild life, potentially hazardous and stunning.
cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Alun

Post by Alun »

There's a few of us from Stratford heading up north on the Thursday. No firm plans on which route other than to get the motorway part over and done with asap. A 9am start from the bike park in Stratford for anyone who wants to join us.
Bluepaul

Post by Bluepaul »

Cheers for the replies.

Alun are you aiming to go straight up to Ullapool or doing an overnight stop on the way ?

Ill see you at the bike park in Stratford as I'd prefer to travel with a group of like minded [strike]fools[/strike] adventurers ! for some of the journey at least.

Some Loch side wild camping sounds good.

3 weeks to go, still plenty of time to finalise a plan :unsure: :unsure: :S
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

I'll see you at the bike park for 9am Alun.

How about Kinlochleven campsite for Thursday night? Good pub n food nearby.
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Bluepaul when you going up cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Return to “ABR HIGHLAND SIMMER RALLY - 23/25th SEPT 2011”