As the time gets nearer

The 'up north' ABR Rally in Ullapool, Scotland
f2uk

Re: As the time gets nearer

Post by f2uk »

Redmurty wrote:Put out everything you think you need then bin half of it. cheers Spud ;)
Only half!! ;)
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

BABY V wrote:Every day as the time gets nearer to my first meet/rally, there never seems to be a shortage of smiles as well as questions? What will I take how will I pack the stuff that I need to take. Got my smallish tent, got my sleeping bag, Do I take stove or eat out???? But one thing that's for sure Which I received through the post is my ABR sticker that I will proudly stick to my wee vara, for when I leave from Glasgow, Only have 1 top box so space is something I don't have, so if anyone has any help or tips on what to take I will gladly listen

cheers Paul
I am taking.......
Bike
Helmet
Boots
Gloves
Textile suit

Tent 3 man....... loads of room to put wet gear away
Sleeping bag
kip mat
Stove
pan

base layer x 2
Fleece x 2
shoes x 1
pants x 3
socks x 2

tea
milk
sugar
oats

soap
tooth brush
towel (travel)

and thats about it, I find each trip I do I end up taking less than the one before

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

BABY V wrote: LWR I am thinking it would take me about 4 hours to get to inverness on my 125 lol, but will just taking my time and enjoying the ride, I will be Leaving Glasgow about 9-10am I think, To give myself lots of time :unsure:

Nothing wrong with taking your time , enjoying the journey is more important .

I may be able to meet up near inverness, for the drive up to ullapool , but i am unsure of my timings yet .
Will let you know nearer the time.

If you are worried about the ride outs, then stick with me , (I am slow) :) B)
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

LargeWayRound wrote:
BABY V wrote: LWR I am thinking it would take me about 4 hours to get to inverness on my 125 lol, but will just taking my time and enjoying the ride, I will be Leaving Glasgow about 9-10am I think, To give myself lots of time :unsure:

Nothing wrong with taking your time , enjoying the journey is more important .

I may be able to meet up near inverness, for the drive up to ullapool , but i am unsure of my timings yet .
Will let you know nearer the time.

If you are worried about the ride outs, then stick with me , (I am slow) :) B)

You will find as you get on the roads firther north you will not want to ride to fast in any case, theres to much good stuff to look at cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Very true redmurty

I am up here sitting in my tent , north of ullapool and life happens at a totally different pace.
A drive in the car , requires many stops for photographs .. Awesome countryside
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I was thinking of attending this but the lack off camping equipment is one drawback & more I look at tents the more confused I get, I don't want to splash out on fancy stuff till I know that I'm going to do it again really.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Selous

Post by Selous »

lancashirelad wrote:I was thinking of attending this but the lack off camping equipment is one drawback & more I look at tents the more confused I get, I don't want to splash out on fancy stuff till I know that I'm going to do it again really.
mate look at the thread tarps I have a few buckshee tents you welcome to the 2nd tend if you want it?
You just have to come to Essex to get it

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
Selous

Post by Selous »

BABY V wrote:Every day as the time gets nearer to my first meet/rally, there never seems to be a shortage of smiles as well as questions? What will I take how will I pack the stuff that I need to take. Got my smallish tent, got my sleeping bag, Do I take stove or eat out???? But one thing that's for sure Which I received through the post is my ABR sticker that I will proudly stick to my wee vara, for when I leave from Glasgow, Only have 1 top box so space is something I don't have, so if anyone has any help or tips on what to take I will gladly listen
cheers Paul
Mate like already said get a dry bag roll top, Otleib are prob the best in the world, takes your pick & buy.

Get a cargo bungee net, (free bee from bike mag or Heine Gerik, do them as well as halfords), I would suggest pack all bike stuff & cooking gear, (if taking any), in top box then the roll bag has your gear depending how long your gone for, I have found for a long week end, (4 days),
wearing the following riding trs & jacket with EDZ long sleeved T shirt in (Autumn winter , summer ESZ T shirt) then fleecy top.

Packed To take.

3 pairs of socks
3 pairs Undies
1 t shirt
1 top (fleece / hoodie)
1 Trousers (jeans / cargo style)
trainers/ shoes I take my merrils mohab
wash kit (soap liquid type, or stolen from premier inn :whistle:)
Towel (I use a camping quick dry style, 1 size does all), or if you cant be arsed to take all that get wet wipes.
tooth brush & paste (Asda do these little trial deodorant & toothpaste that is ideal for camping.
Tea Coffee (Nescafe do tubes of coffee with mile & sugar I have these for work Lidl £2.00, you can get them with just white & sugar
Fart Sack, (green maggot)
Sleep mat if you have 1
If Cooking
KFS
Plate if required
cooking gear
Buckshee fuel
pen knife & Lighter (even if you don't smoke,(to light cooker)
I am sure I have forgotten something thats why on PC
(I do have the list on my PC so I just go tick all of, I pack the above for just me if Mrs coming add extra G String/ Thongs, 1 per day un to 5 (so they can wash out a few pairs in 1 go)If you want a copy PM me
Take buckshee bin bags for own wast by tent * any other uses, (never know)

When I pack I have Expeid Dry Roll Bags I have 1 She has 1 and 2 remaining
1 Dry Bag, all my own C loathes 1 (ditto for Mrs)
1 bag contains 2 Down Fart Sacks & 2 Sleep mats (Exped 7 down & Pump)
1 bag contains all cooking gear
my tyre repair kit's and other stuff for bike go in a different bag

Hope all the above helps

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
BABY V

Post by BABY V »

I have been going over and over these threads, Some of yous are taking alsorts and others not that much, I will have to just have a look and see what happens, As for the meet LWR, That would be good If I met you if time is ok other than that I would see all of yous in Ullapool, I will let you know Bunker if your bag is needed and have just ordered bungy net from flea bay

Paul
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

BABY V wrote:I have been going over and over these threads, Some of yous are taking alsorts and others not that much, I will have to just have a look and see what happens, As for the meet LWR, That would be good If I met you if time is ok other than that I would see all of yous in Ullapool, I will let you know Bunker if your bag is needed and have just ordered bungy net from flea bay

Paul
No problem , paul , i will let you know .

First time i went to a rally , was 2 years ago . At ullapool no less, i was in exactly the same position as you.
Just a top box , no panniers . Got myself a small tent , very cheap. And a cheap tank bag.
A cheap dry bag (30lts) , some luggage straps, tent first then dry bag on top ,placed on pillon seat.
Filled the top box with all the light stuff including sleeping bag.
Had a great time , and had full looking all the others luggage , equipment, tents etc.

Now i take to much stuff, but having fun is the main thing..

Return to “ABR HIGHLAND SIMMER RALLY - 23/25th SEPT 2011”