Who's the expert?

Have some feedback and input to share? Don't be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make this site better and more user friendly for our guests and members a like.
captinktm

Who's the expert?

Post by captinktm »

It's been in the news of late, and talked about on here. How do kids or us for that matter, know what to believe on the internet, the kids are going to be taught in school how to recognise it!! Good luck with that. But that got me thinking (oh dear)

On this very forum it is not possible to know who is giving good advice or info unless of course you either know already or your willing to wade through 50 post and take the average. I am guessing that the cc system is simply based on how many posts you have made, rather than your riding experience or mechanical knowledge. It gives me the right hump when guys join in a post to contribute nothing more than a dito or thumbs up. After all that then earns them more cc's. Then on comes a genuine novice who needs information and he or she has no idea which reply is correct.
So I got to thinking some more, and thought it would be a good idea to maybe have a couple of boxes at the side of your post and after we have read it we can tick agree or disagree or good reply and bad reply. The positive box would earn you points, so now the new guy can see if he gets an answer from you and you have a good score then it's good info. Obviously this is not my forum so this is just an idea, if you all disagree then, I just soldier on. But if we all think it would be an improvement then admin could maybe take it on. What do you think?
Morseman

Re: Who's the expert?

Post by Morseman »

(thumbs)

Sorry, couldn't resist. LOL.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

It is better to give than it is to receive...

Well, it is in the case of bad advice and chicken pox, anyway!
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Isn't this another "Who do you Trust" thread in disguise :whistle: :whistle:
herman

Post by herman »

Tried it and it did not work just caused division.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

In all seriousness...the internet as a source of information is 'the wisdom of the crowd."

The only REALLY bad advice I can recall seeing here was a link to some stupid list of tips on how to overland in Africa which included an absolute gem along the lines of

"Choose a bike without a catalytic converter...that way you can run it on diesel in an emergency"!
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Too many topics relating to bikes and riding are subjective. One person may like a tyre another will think it's rubbish. This is the downside of internet forums. Flagging certain people up as experts is just feeding their egos.

Personally I never state anything as the definitive answer but always qualify it with 'in my experience'. Of course, you have to know that I've owned and ridden bikes for 45 years and know a heck of a lot about anything European up to about 2000, after that my knowledge gets a bit sketchy. All I can tell you about modern times is that you are all being ripped off :ohmy:
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

To be fair, this forum is pretty good for technical info, perhaps because there are a good few mature types here.

Go to a Forum on a technical subject with a high proportion of under 30's and it is shocking the way complete garbage gets spewed out and beleived and regurgitated, the young generations of this millenium have very little skills in critical thinking and will accept any old shite if the right person is saying it.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Well fancy that, I sort of expected a luke warm reception for this post but I am still disappointed that guys are aware of the problem but don't really want to fix it. Those that said about subjects on here being subjective, yes of course they are, but that is something entirely different. I am talking about information, where there is a right way and a wrong way.

I'll get me coat!
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

If somebody gives me advice on here I go research it on line to see if anybody else suggests it.

That works for me.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts

Return to “SUGGESTION BOX”