Who's the expert?

Have some feedback and input to share? Don't be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make this site better and more user friendly for our guests and members a like.
frenchy3

Re: Who's the expert?

Post by frenchy3 »

I have worked on my own cars and bikes for 40 years and have been in the RAF as an aircraft technician and been a mechanic most of my life and have obviously picked up a few tips along the way. However i could never claim to be an expert or say that every post i have ever made is 100% accurate and people should trust every word. I cannot even judge my own advice or ability and would be reluctant to do the same about others. I think it is a fine idea but very difficult to set up and administer. It could also be devisive as it could imply some people know it all and others advice is worthless.There is no such thing as a stupid question and i for one is always appreciate advice and information from any quarter.
Steve.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

frenchy3 wrote:I have worked on my own cars and bikes for 40 years and have been in the RAF as an aircraft technician and been a mechanic most of my life and have obviously picked up a few tips along the way. However i could never claim to be an expert or say that every post i have ever made is 100% accurate and people should trust every word. I cannot even judge my own advice or ability and would be reluctant to do the same about others. I think it is a fine idea but very difficult to set up and administer. It could also be devisive as it could imply some people know it all and others advice is worthless.There is no such thing as a stupid question and i for one is always appreciate advice and information from any quarter.
Steve.
I was going to say nothing but, I can not agree with your post. Firstly you were an aircraft technician? and don't trust your self? I am guessing that if you could n't judge or trust your own ability then hopefully you were not in charge. Secondly some peoples advice and posts on here are worthless. Of course there is never a stupid question but there are plenty of stupid answers, and this is what I was suggesting we try to weed out. I to take advice from all quarters, but because of my experience I can weed out the rubbish, a novice could not. Lastly, if you are giving information or advice and don't really trust it's correct, don't give it. That in it's self would cut the post by half on here and make it easier for all to get to the good stuff.
Thanks for your input.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Mike101 wrote:If somebody gives me advice on here I go research it on line to see if anybody else suggests it.

That works for me.

Mike
Surely this idea would save you doing that? If a guy has got 100% good answers then every one on hear is agreeing with him and there fore the answer in right. Trawling the interweb for other unknown peoples solutions is still taking the average be it right or wrong.
micksea

Post by micksea »

Good idea in theory but as said before,it will turn into a pishing competition.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

herman wrote:Tried it and it did not work just caused division.
Yes the good old days of the Karma button. Little cliques used to gang up and remove your good karma because you upset one of them with a post.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

captinktm wrote:
frenchy3 wrote:I have worked on my own cars and bikes for 40 years and have been in the RAF as an aircraft technician and been a mechanic most of my life and have obviously picked up a few tips along the way. However i could never claim to be an expert or say that every post i have ever made is 100% accurate and people should trust every word. I cannot even judge my own advice or ability and would be reluctant to do the same about others. I think it is a fine idea but very difficult to set up and administer. It could also be devisive as it could imply some people know it all and others advice is worthless.There is no such thing as a stupid question and i for one is always appreciate advice and information from any quarter.
Steve.
I was going to say nothing but, I can not agree with your post. Firstly you were an aircraft technician? and don't trust your self? I am guessing that if you could n't judge or trust your own ability then hopefully you were not in charge. Secondly some peoples advice and posts on here are worthless. Of course there is never a stupid question but there are plenty of stupid answers, and this is what I was suggesting we try to weed out. I to take advice from all quarters, but because of my experience I can weed out the rubbish, a novice could not. Lastly, if you are giving information or advice and don't really trust it's correct, don't give it. That in it's self would cut the post by half on here and make it easier for all to get to the good stuff.
Thanks for your input.
It probably came out wrong as i am no great orator. I don,t feel i should big myself up as some sort of technical genius. Whilst i try to ensure any advice i give is to the best of my knowledge correct i suppose i have been guilty of passing on advice i have been given over the years which may not be correct.I don,t think any of the Tornado,s i worked on crashed through any fault of mine so i must have done something right. :) :)

Return to “SUGGESTION BOX”