Byway's Section

Have some feedback and input to share? Don't be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make this site better and more user friendly for our guests and members a like.
Willy_Eckerslike

Re: Re: Byway's Section

Post by Willy_Eckerslike »

Or just go and have a look, it's usually quite obvious when a lane has been legally closed. As long as you're not blatantly riding past a 'No Entry' sign or breaking through a locked gate then the worst you'll get is a dirty look from any bobble heads you might pass.
A ship is safe in harbour, but that’s not what ships are for. – Grace Hopper
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Willy_Eckerslike wrote:Or just go and have a look, it's usually quite obvious when a lane has been legally closed. As long as you're not blatantly riding past a 'No Entry' sign or breaking through a locked gate then the worst you'll get is a dirty look from any bobble heads you might pass.
You might encounter an angry farmer in a Land Rover!! ;) ;) :whistle:
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Richard Simpson

Re: Byway's Section

Post by Richard Simpson »

Bear in mind that a TRO can only be enforced if it is legally signed on the ground. If the route is a Byway Open to All Traffic you can use it unless there is a sign where it meet a more major road. You can't be prosecuted for passing a sign that is not there.

You can be prosecuted for using a restricted byway, unless you can prove it has vehicular rights, and some do.

I know a restricted byway with parking bays and a signed speed limit!
Brian Snail

Post by Brian Snail »

Angry Farmer? Nahh, he's now a refomed character and has recently morphed in to nothing more scary than a common molusc.
tea007

Post by tea007 »

What you need to do is get a Tramp
There ace
Better than google
Elle

Post by Elle »

Yes, you can buy an OS Map, compare the routes to a definitive maps & look on TrailWise but a person can fritter away several hours, possibly days, looking at this stuff! I speak from personal experience!

The TRF protest against the trails being closed, which is a great thing & I am happy to give them my support and membership fee but they also promote these trails staying open for "everyone". A little bit contradictory when they won't share the information.
sexysi wrote:Put it this way would you go to morocco blind on a trip, or would you first ask what is it like? Where is the best place to go? What is the best thing to take?
+1
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
mancunian

Post by mancunian »

If you join the trf they will share the information!
Would a tour company take you out without paying ?
timmyhifi

Post by timmyhifi »

The byways are public routes. Not owned by the TRF. The TRF do great work, but the secrecy around byways is getting really old now IMHO.

Illegal rider arguments don't wash anymore, as most illegal riders don't get enough of a thrill from the green lanes.

And people should be able to access the routes without having to be tied to the TRF.

That is why all councils have a definitive map of the legal byways.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Elle wrote:Yes, you can buy an OS Map, compare the routes to a definitive maps & look on TrailWise but a person can fritter away several hours, possibly days, looking at this stuff! I speak from personal experience!

The TRF protest against the trails being closed, which is a great thing & I am happy to give them my support and membership fee but they also promote these trails staying open for "everyone". A little bit contradictory when they won't share the information.
sexysi wrote:Put it this way would you go to morocco blind on a trip, or would you first ask what is it like? Where is the best place to go? What is the best thing to take?
+1
Or perhaps you stop relying on others and do some research of your own? It gets a bit old when so many people want to be spoon fed without actually doing any leg work themselves. The first time I went to Morocco I bought maps and some books and cracked on, i didn't expect people to just give me information on routes or "what to take". There are resources out there in books and on the internet, you just need to find them rather than waving a big flag on a forum and shouting "help". Ditto green lanes, this word "secret" comes up now and again - there is nothing secret about it, every council has a definitive route map and in my experience rangers are very helpful when it comes to route and trail questions. May I respectfully suggest that you get off your arse and do your own research rather than relying on others.
Willy_Eckerslike

Post by Willy_Eckerslike »

Why has this turned into a thread bashing the TRF? What they do is their own business and they have their own reasons for keeping information to themselves. There are no secret lanes, all the information anyone could ever need is currently publicly available to anyone with the wit to look at a map.
A ship is safe in harbour, but that’s not what ships are for. – Grace Hopper

Return to “SUGGESTION BOX”