Byway's Section

Have some feedback and input to share? Don't be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make this site better and more user friendly for our guests and members a like.
timmyhifi

Re: Byway's Section

Post by timmyhifi »

Brian Snail wrote:I think it would certainly be useful to be able to discuss issues about particular byeways, in particular where there is a dispute, say, between rider :( and land occupier :( or other stakeholder :unsure: . It would provide a central repository for thought :dry: and potentially improve stakeholders understanding of each others perspective :) :) :) .

In short, I'm for it :) .
Am glad to see such positive engagement from you with this forum Brian. I think your views as a land user are immensely valid contributions to this ongoing debate.

Maybe we'll get you on a dirt bike one day too?

As for a byways section it is a must, though Alun might feel its not really ABR material.

Watch this space...
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

We already have this topic.

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... -road.html

As a moderator and user of this forum I think what's being suggested fits here.

As I and the other mods spend enough time moving threads that are started in the wrong sections, the last thing we need is more.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

AndyB wrote:It's quite simple really; you join the TRF and ask for access to the Trailwise system, you then ask your local authorities if you can see a copy of the definitive map and then you mark up OS maps accordingly. Trailwise just helps you have a good idea of where to look on the map rather than spend time browsing over it that you don't need to.

The same people who are normally very happy to show you the definitive map are also normally very happy to answer any queries regarding whether or not any new temporary restrictions are in place so you don't have to pester them to let you see the map again.

If you want to visit a different area contact the closest TRF group and they'll arrange a trip for you.

Another option is to post a request on here for someone local to an area you want to ride in to take you out for a day on their local trails. I'll happily take anyone for a day out around North Bedfordshire and open invites frequently go out for rides on Salisbury Plain, the Peak District and North Wales so there's no need to publish route details in the public domain where local agreements might not be explained fully.

I'm not having a pop at anyone here, this is just my view on how to get routes sorted out and get yourself out there riding. I don't see any reason to ask for prior permission from landowners because I'm riding on a legal byway but if I spot someone on a tractor or standing by a gate I always stop and tell them exactly where I'm going in case there may be a problem.
I agree with all of that. People need to grow a pair and do some research and take some action (like join the TRF) rather than asking for things to be handed on a plate with signs and permissions. NO! The routes are legal routes there to use, not to kow tow to any group.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Treadtrader wrote:We already have this topic.

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... -road.html

As a moderator and user of this forum I think what's being suggested fits here.

As I and the other mods spend enough time moving threads that are started in the wrong sections, the last thing we need is more.
That's thread over IMO, we already have a byways section.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
johnnyboxer

Byway's Section

Post by johnnyboxer »

Mike54 wrote:I don't agree. Once you start posting routes those routes get overused by people too lazy to research their own. All the information is out there anyway, the last thing we need is for it to be all in one central point on the internet, accessible to every law breaker and moron out there. So no, sorry.
+1

You'll not be getting any from me

I've found 3 'new' never used lanes in north yorkshire in the last 6 months & they've never been used by trail riders

I've been riding 20 years on the trails but only share info locally with friends who I can trust

Research & find your own like I had to do & still do
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
g00ner

Post by g00ner »

Happily I've had invites to ride Dorset, Hants, Devon, Cornwall, Essex, Lincs and the Peak District this year from people who don't think their local lanes are 'theirs'. Should anyone want to be guided around my locality I'll be pleased to have a chat
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

g00ner wrote:Happily I've had invites to ride Dorset, Hants, Devon, Cornwall, Essex, Lincs and the Peak District this year from people who don't think their local lanes are 'theirs'. Should anyone want to be guided around my locality I'll be pleased to have a chat
I will second that. This attitude of keeping lanes to themselves and secret is just wrong. If I had just bought an adventure bike and was looking for an intro or a trip around lanes in kent then i would love to meet up with people willing to share their experiences and venues. This should be about promoting a new experience and getting more riders away from the race bikes and onto the new adventure bikes, thus bringing the price of the bikws down.
Put it this way would you go to morocco blind on a trip, or would you first ask what is it like? Where is the best place to go? What is the best thing to take? Same situation, the only difference is that they are not English routes and dont belong to anyone.
I went on the south coast ABR meet at the weekend. There were 3 rideouts, 2 off road 1 on road. Are we saying that these rideouts are only good for locals. Because the impression I got is that dave and the other guys were more than happy to share their local knowledge. I'm sure the guys doing the rideouts at Ullapool wont be saying....by the way there are no rideouts because we want to keep all our routes secret.

So are we all going to boycot rideouts as they give away secrets, wont be much fun at an ABR meeting then.

This is just my opinion and I not having a go directly at anyone.
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

sexysi wrote: I'm sure the guys doing the rideouts at Ullapool wont be saying....by the way there are no rideouts because we want to keep all our routes secret.
errrr ,, well ... Bad example maybe Si

At Ullapool , Any off roading would remain a secret until the rally itself , we would not post routes or location here ! :whistle:

As the law is different up here , access and all that cr@p .
There are a few legal forest drives but around here , in fact there only 5 or 6 in the whole of Scotland.
Everywhere else in scotland , you either discuss with the landowner (very difficult or impossible) , or take a chance (illegal road roading in Scotland can result in losing your bike and a fine).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 20933.html
http://news.stv.tv/north/110539-police- ... s-forests/

But as for good routes, (onroad) , some of the best motorbiking roads in the UK , some of the best scenery anywhere ..IMO
And locals will no doubt be happy to help plan a route for anyone .
:)

You guys are lucky to have the chance to do , green lanes (Or whatever you call them) legally.
And I can see why people would guard them and not want to share .

Remembering that this forum is a public forum and anyone :evil: can view it .

So that lovely quiet lane you found , is suddenly overrun with ABR's

The subject of posting routes has been discussed at length on here before , if I remember , kicked off by the mapped articles in the Mag .

Touchy subject, with 2 sides.. some for ..some against...
Willy_Eckerslike

Post by Willy_Eckerslike »

If anybody wants to find all these 'secret' lanes all they have to do is spend a tenner in WH Smiths and buy an OS map.
A ship is safe in harbour, but that’s not what ships are for. – Grace Hopper
-Ralph-

Re: Re: Byway's Section

Post by -Ralph- »

Willy_Eckerslike wrote:If anybody wants to find all these 'secret' lanes all they have to do is spend a tenner in WH Smiths and buy an OS map.
Then check the local council for any TRO's of course, and the definative map to ensure the classifcation hasn't changed since the last publication of the OS map ;-)

Finding the lanes is easy, keeping yourself on the right side of the law can be a bit more difficult.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “SUGGESTION BOX”