Byway's Section

Have some feedback and input to share? Don't be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make this site better and more user friendly for our guests and members a like.
sexysi

Byway's Section

Post by sexysi »

After some rants on the forum, maybe it would be a good idea to start up a new section under the heading "BYWAYS"

This would allow posts from Riders, land owners, everyone to discuss access, disagreements etc etc in a different section.

This could also have section for .gpx route files that can be uploaded of local Byways in different parts of the country, with access problems, if they hard or easy, good for beginners etc.

I know the mag does reviews of byways, but maybe a link to some of the routes, would be cool, we have routes that could be linked to the site. You could go as far to put in sections ie South East Byways.....There are good websites out their with info, but maybe a central repository on the forum might be a good idea.

Just a thought.

I believe that there is enough in this to merit a new section.

si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

Mike54

Re: Byway's Section

Post by Mike54 »

I don't agree. Once you start posting routes those routes get overused by people too lazy to research their own. All the information is out there anyway, the last thing we need is for it to be all in one central point on the internet, accessible to every law breaker and moron out there. So no, sorry.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

We already have a gpx section for uk and also Europe...very few post stuff up already..and suppose you post a gpx trail up and it gets a tro...who is going to be responsible for keeping info upto date in a public arena..

do as others do use a map and contact the local council rights of way officers...they are the only ones who can give a definative answer..unless I'm wrong then please correct me..
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

Trouble is if you are new to this and not a member of the trf, you end up looking at a map, going down a lane by yourself hoping that the bike and you can handle it. For a newbee that can be daunting to say the least.

Like me I have not been doing this for very long and the 1st time i took my Tiger,(Brand new, scarred of dropping it) off down a lane in Kent. I was shitting myself...
I didn't know what to expect, if I could even do it, if i was allowed to be there.

Now it would have been cool to go with others, but unless you start up a group, you have a load of individuals looking at maps going out by themselves, bit like "Norman no mates".

Would it not be safer to ride at least in pairs.

Now there are some hard, excellent riders on here and yes I can understand that you don't want everyone going down the lanes, but at the end of the day they are open to everyone, for everyone to enjoy.
Just go on www.bywaydatabase.com and you get a lot of the Kent and sussex byways listed anyway.

I don't like the idea of all the car drivers/motorbike riders doing 50mph through a 30mph, village, but that is life. I can't stop it.

After all it was only a suggestion open to discussion.

si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

Tramp

Post by Tramp »

While I agree everyone has too learn some how etc..surely just asking on forum if anyone would do a trail ride is better..thats how I learnt..also dropped into the council and spoke to rights of way officer..real helpful guy...also yes the trf can be a bit ..owe no big bikes etc...byt they aint like that..

Riding along what you dont know to. Be a legal right of way is open to discussion and some say iresponsible..as is riding alone..

we all take risks in life its upto the individual to descide surely...most o/s maps are out of date anyway ..the council have a current upto date definative map...just go look and ask...

This aint a dig at anyone either just my views and hopefully some info for the new to it..
g00ner

Post by g00ner »

Mike54 wrote:I don't agree. Once you start posting routes those routes get overused by people too lazy to research their own. All the information is out there anyway, the last thing we need is for it to be all in one central point on the internet, accessible to every law breaker and moron out there. So no, sorry.
That particular argument didn't help when NERC was introduced Mike - I'm open to both sides/opinions but unlawful riders are hardly likely to research where they can ride illegally are they?

If it's legal it's there to be used - the old TRF attitude of keeping routes secret hasn't worked in the past and is unlikely to help now. In fact, since lane usage must be proved to reclaim a lane it can be argued raising awareness of the route could even assist.
Brian Snail

Post by Brian Snail »

I think it would certainly be useful to be able to discuss issues about particular byeways, in particular where there is a dispute, say, between rider :( and land occupier :( or other stakeholder :unsure: . It would provide a central repository for thought :dry: and potentially improve stakeholders understanding of each others perspective :) :) :) .

In short, I'm for it :) .
Brian Snail

Post by Brian Snail »

Another comment :woohoo: Byeway signage has been discussed elsewhere and given me imputus to approach local authority to improve signage on byeways over our own farmed land. This remove ambiguity between users and remind the less than responsible few of their respopnsibilities.
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

In my view ... Personal

That if a section was made , then it should discuss "How to's" ,
good manners , good procedure
map checking ,
checking with landowners ,
how to stop a fight breaking out ,
How to talk to people who believe that you should not be there.
Joining your local TRF
How to approach your local council etc

All the things that we discuss on this forum anyways , from time to time .
As we promote legal travel (anywhere)

But the decision about this lies with Alun as owner of ABR..

Or you could move to Scotland .. and not get to do any of this fun stuff .. ! :whistle: !

LWR
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

It's quite simple really; you join the TRF and ask for access to the Trailwise system, you then ask your local authorities if you can see a copy of the definitive map and then you mark up OS maps accordingly. Trailwise just helps you have a good idea of where to look on the map rather than spend time browsing over it that you don't need to.

The same people who are normally very happy to show you the definitive map are also normally very happy to answer any queries regarding whether or not any new temporary restrictions are in place so you don't have to pester them to let you see the map again.

If you want to visit a different area contact the closest TRF group and they'll arrange a trip for you.

Another option is to post a request on here for someone local to an area you want to ride in to take you out for a day on their local trails. I'll happily take anyone for a day out around North Bedfordshire and open invites frequently go out for rides on Salisbury Plain, the Peak District and North Wales so there's no need to publish route details in the public domain where local agreements might not be explained fully.

I'm not having a pop at anyone here, this is just my view on how to get routes sorted out and get yourself out there riding. I don't see any reason to ask for prior permission from landowners because I'm riding on a legal byway but if I spot someone on a tractor or standing by a gate I always stop and tell them exactly where I'm going in case there may be a problem.

Return to “SUGGESTION BOX”