Active Topics… Recent Posts by another name.

Help, rules, advice and announcements.
Alun

Active Topics… Recent Posts by another name.

Post by Alun »

After discussing the workings of the new forum face to face with members at the West Wales Rally, it became apparent that one of the most user-friendly features on this new forum was not being used. That feature being ‘Active Topics’

‘Active Topics’ is found in the ‘Quick Links’ menu at the top of every forum page and it displays a list of all forum threads with recent posts. It is, in effect, the same as the ‘Recent Posts’ page on the old forum.

It was also apparent that the inclusion of a number of ‘recent posts’ above the Board Index was the reason why so many had not discovered ‘Active Topics’. With that in mind we’ve cleaned up the index page and removed the recent posts.

If you want a list of all the recent posts ‘Active Topics’ is your friend.
herman

Re: Active Topics… Recent Posts by another name.

Post by herman »

Thought I was going mad for a minute there but the voices reassured me it was not so.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

You must remember we are simple folks who like routine and when hings change we get all confused :lol: :lol: :lol: ..

More than 2 changes at once fuzzles my brain.....ie my big toe hurts :roll:
Nick_2112

Post by Nick_2112 »

I was a bit confused by the unread topics (it doesn't take much)

Say a topic has 50 pages, how do you go straight to the last post you read, which maybe for example on page 47, so your not re-reading posts.

Probably simple to do, but I can't suss it. On the old forum as soon as you clicked on a topic it took you to the first un-read post. Thanks.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Nick_2112 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:57 pm Say a topic has 50 pages, how do you go straight to the last post you read, which maybe for example on page 47, so your not re-reading posts.
There's a blue or reg rectangle (in portrait and outline only), and in between it and the text for the thread title there's a smaller solid red rectangle (in portrait). If you hover your mouse pointer over it, it should say unread posts. Click on it and it should take you to the first unread post.

Once you've read the posts, the solid red rectangle is no longer there.
Attachments
Doc1.pdf
(41.54 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Nick_2112 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:57 pm Say a topic has 50 pages, how do you go straight to the last post you read, which maybe for example on page 47, so your not re-reading posts.
There's a blue or reg rectangle (in portrait and outline only), and in between it and the text for the thread title there's a smaller solid red rectangle (in portrait). If you hover your mouse pointer over it, it should say unread posts. Click on it and it should take you to the first unread post.

Once you've read the posts, the solid red rectangle is no longer there.
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

OK, found this post after a bit of searching.

I liked the recent topics displayed on the front page. Saved having to hunt for things. A lot of people like just popping to the site without wanting to look places. But I suppose this is apparent as there are only 2 registered users on...normally a lot more.
~ACP~

Post by ~ACP~ »

I've just bookmarked Active Topics now where before I had Recent Topics. Same difference. Can't see why it's so confusing :?

What I'm not getting is the iconography on the left - blue page, red page, white page, red page with asterisk, now there's a white page with megaphone! Can't find any reference as to what they all refer to :?:
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

~ACP~ wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:15 am What I'm not getting is the iconography on the left - blue page, red page, white page, red page with asterisk, now there's a white page with megaphone! Can't find any reference as to what they all refer to :?:
Megaphone, maybe a thread you've posted in.
Small red rectangle, unread posts in the thread.

Hovering the mouse pointer over the icons plus thread title all show unread posts, not very helpful, when the thread title takes you to the very first post in that thread.

The FAQ on topic icons really clarifies what the various colours and shapes mean: app.php/help/faq#f3r8 but not to me.
Nick_2112

Post by Nick_2112 »

Cool thanks Oop North John, :D

Return to “WEBSITE AND FORUM STUFF”