How to delete my account ?

Help, rules, advice and announcements.
ChasF

Re: How to delete my account ?

Post by ChasF »

Even the bike related threads create rifts. People join forums to air their, usually strongly held opinions, on whatever interests them. If you then find that your views are at odds with others you can do one of three things:

Develop a thick skin or -

Continue to justify your opinions, without getting personal, and accept the flak. Or -

Go off in a sulk, and convince yourself that your flounce did make a difference :)
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Cautionary Tale. There was a forum called 'Trailbike Mag Forum' that was really busy and with a wealth of information on it just like this one. Some forumites got the arse over non-biking topics being posted and the owner decided that it would be better just to keep it to dirt bikes so any other topic was discouraged. That forum went from 100% to zero in about 1 year :( . Soon to be followed by closure of the magazine, TBM :( although I'm not suggesting that the two events were linked.

I personally met and became friends through that forum with a lot of fellow dirt bikers some of which are now on here as well as me :).

A forum needs a variety of topics to keep going, just like a pub. If I go to my pub and I don't like what the guy at the bar is saying then I sit at the other end of the bar. I don't stop going to the pub just because of that, it's a good pub. Just like this forum is a good forum :) .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Hi Dutchgit, Personally I have enjoyed your contributions to the Brexit debate and i think it is valuable to read the point of view of contributors who are living abroad. I think that the Brexit debate has a place on this forum as it is an Adventure Bike forum and Brexit may well influence our opportunities to have adventures on bikes, one way or another. It has certainly increased the cost of doing so and we haven't even gone yet. Obviously the promised golden future may change this when it arrives. Many of the arguments for Brexit raised on this forum have been informed and well presented, I have read them and the follow up articles that they were linked to, but my view has still not changed however I welcome those comments.
I am personally dismayed at the way this country and America have voted and will continue to argue against those who view racial hatred as a good thing. I am aware that many people voted Brexit for other reasons but parts of the leave campaign and Trump's campaign were deliberately aimed at the racists and xenophobes.
I have just returned from the local rememberance service and to me I feel I would be doing the memory of those who fought against fascism in the second world war a disservice by not continuing to challenge racism when it occurs.
I would prefer it if you continued to post but would understand if you chose not to. I have no idea if anyone's views have changed as a result of your comments but if you have made one person think then they have been worth it.
Cheers Jak
jonesthesteam

Post by jonesthesteam »

Simples....turn off notifications, log out and delete bookmark!

Don't see the need to delete everything and make a specific thread with a one word question, seems a little strange, especially as you have now created a 6 x page thread where people are discussing Brexit and Trump again

:laugh: :laugh:

Jonesy
misterlaffer

Post by misterlaffer »

This is a shame. I have enjoyed Dutchgits contribution to the Brexit thread. It's true, there are some people on here who have opposing opinions that can quite easily frustrate you with their narrow minded views about Brexit, but try not to let these points of view get you down too much. (thumbs)

Console yourself with this thought, both Nigel Farage and Donald Trump are both married to none British women. Both women are European, so don't believe either of these two bad guys are really that Racist. It just doesn't fit. Try not to get to carried away with the Xenophobic argument either, it's all smoke and mirrors.

If you leave this forum, beware of other on line activity. Facebook is a minefield of opinion, as for Twitter - well, you'll rarely read what you want to hear on there either. You'll hang yourself within week mate :(

Perhaps we all should focus more on the bikes. I'm all for that (thumbs)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Dutch just give it a break for a while but don`t leave :( trouble with forums, texts, facebook etc is that the nuances of (body)language are lost and if you (or your`e) upset when talking face to face you can tell and apologise or tone it down, I am a sarcastic sod and when doing it to someones face I can usually tell if they take it or not by their reaction.
I used to visit a forum when I had a BM but left because it was getting to me :whistle: and yes despite being sarcastic I am thin skinned :blush:
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Dutchgit

I enjoy your posts too. But I also realise that if I go off somewhere on my bike and meet a fellow biker mad person we may end up talking about the three taboos as one would say- sex, politics and religion. Sometimes interesting, sometimes opinionated and that bit does get to me.

I too have been fascinated at some lines of discussion but I do enjoy some of them if for no other reason than they don't necessarily affect me.

I enjoy my travel but don't go off road, for example but I love reading some of the more adventurous posts as I have plans to travel very far east..

It's not easy to kill off all the discussion but I use another K100 forum which has pretty strict rules about courtesy to other members and against posting certain types of stuff and it works very well. Every topic is covered relative to the bikes AND to travel. In the last 4 years I think only 2 have been removed for lack of courtesy.

ABR has an advantage and disadvantage in that it's not bike specific to a particular make or model. I think it therefore has to be a bit wider in scope. Problems are discussed and contributions made, some extremely useful ones offered across different makes of bike. I have had offers to visit others, in France for example, have met others over here, sometimes just random encounters and really enjoy them.

I think that opens up some more general conversation, like how as an example Heff/Moorso/Mac60 have some wonderful threads about Antrim and the North East of Ireland. I mention that because they are more local to me but there is similar from others across Europe all making the ABR forum great. The K forum I use has got sections dedicated to particular regions but we still post across them and sometimes guys from Australia come to visit and ride with us.

As for Brexit, like Trump it has created some very heated debate. As an onlooker outside both countries you get a different view and being of a certain age I remember life before the EU which we joined alongside the UK. Whatever about outcomes, there was life before and there will be life after.

Now Dutchgit, git your ass in gear and keep your posts coming as we do enjoy them. If you are over my way any time I will gladly put a pint or two on the counter while we put the world to rights.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

There's a lot of knowledgeable people who use this forum and have given good advice in the past,whether it's a medical condition,financial advice or just how to install a wood burning stove or whatever.It would be a shame to lose that and has already been said there is only so much about bikes you can talk about before the forum gets stale.
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

Well thanks for the kind words people !
I suppose it's worth it sticking around a bit longer. Must have been some silly feeling I had to ask for deleting my account.
Staying out of the Brexit and Trump topics will be hard, even though I hate politics !

Thanks, Ard
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
RandG

Post by RandG »

Drama queen. :whistle:

Return to “WEBSITE AND FORUM STUFF”