Help, rules, advice and announcements.
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

You. can lie all you like so why are some profiles a 'restricted area'. I think a profile of some sort should be compulsory.
AndyB

Re: Profile

Post by AndyB »

Well mine is ages out of date so now you've reminded me I might change it.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

What's the point in making it compulsory to provide information, if you can lie all you like and therefore the information provided is BS? Better no information than wrong information IMO.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Fair enough but it just winds me up that a relatively new poster on here spouts very knowlegeably on various issues and has obviously been around for a while, perhaps using a different pseudonym, can set his profile as a 'restricted area'
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

To be honest chasf....some do it to protect themselves...there choice..

And ive now come to treat whats posted on here with a big dollop of sceptisam....as not all is true, meeting folks face to face is different...

Anyway...Joueux Noel mon Ami....touts vacation ....
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Thanks for your post Tramp, it's made me realise that it's not the season for whinging. I agree with you that what is posted on here should be treated with scepticism - some posters more than others, perhaps!

Bonnes fetes a tous
Tourist-Biker

Post by Tourist-Biker »

ChasF wrote:You. can lie all you like so why are some profiles a 'restricted area'. I think a profile of some sort should be compulsory.
I think you get a better idea reading someone posts on the forum, easy to spot keyboard warriors or someone who only posts negative comments. Agree great when you can put face to names in really life (thumbs)
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

We're all keyboard warriors when on here. I dislike the term as much as I dislike the terms 'adventure' and 'dual sport' but we are forced to use them from time to time as we're all supposed to be speaking the same language.

As for posting negative comments - we're all entitled to an opinion and sometimes an opposite opinion is a useful contribution to a thread. One recent long thread discussing the pros and cons of a new bike aimed at novice riders benefitted, in my view, from some input about what a prospective buyer may need to consider on the cons side of the equation, especially as most of the rest of the thread comprised of marketing videos from the manufacturer - hardly presenting a balanced view.

If the entire forum is just going to be made up of platitudes and pleasantries then it serves no real purpose.

I know a few people on here in the real world and look forward to meeting more in 2016.
Tourist-Biker

Post by Tourist-Biker »

That wasn't the point I was trying to get across, of course everyones got different options :) but IMHO you can tell more about someone by there posts than reading a profile (thumbs)
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Probably true but I'm not sure I want to know too much about people rather they just agreed with my posts :)

Return to “WEBSITE AND FORUM STUFF”