Riding in France

rlkat

Riding in France

Post by rlkat »

Just read this on another forum. I've not looked in to its credibility but sure sounds about right.

rob

1. They are going to remove all speed radar warning signs. Now, they are placed a few hundred meters before speed traps.

2. All radar warning devices (not radar detectors which are already highly illegal) are not allowed, including GPS.

3. Driving, or riding, 50 kph over the speed limit is now considered a crime. Up to a €3750 fine, 3 months prison, 6 points of your driving license and your motorcycle/car confiscated.

4. Driving with low levels of alcohol, up to 0.8 g/l will result in 8 points.

5. Motorcycle license plates will be enlarged, making it easier to photograph. No dimensions have been agreed yet.

6. Fluorescent jackets, yellow or orange must be worn at all times.

7. Any biker who can not prove he/she has ridden a "big" motorcycle in the last 5 years, must take a mandatory re-training before riding a bike again.
I've no idea how to add a signature.
2 wheeled tourist

Re: Riding in France

Post by 2 wheeled tourist »

It’s not law, set in stone, as yet, and as I’m aware but cannot find anything on the world wide web, there is to be a HUGE demo’ (possibly Paris?) on Saturday the 18th of June 2011.

There shall be bikes, cars etc, and I’ve heard Police too, joining with this demo, the people to ask proper is MAG UK.
Hey! I'm a tourist. And that's how I like it.
2 wheeled tourist

Post by 2 wheeled tourist »

Hey! I'm a tourist. And that's how I like it.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

No 7.... I think they ought to bring that in for everyone, sit a retest every 10 years or so. Perhaps some of the muppet drivers out there would bring their skill base up, and perhaps some of the older ones who can't turn their head enough to see in their mirrors would think about getting some treatment.

You get a car/bike at 17 and never have to do anything again until your 70, professionally I have to do continued professional developement every year at work so I can continue to trade, yet I am not in charge of a vehicle with the potential to kill and maim.

just my thoughts on a sunday morning before I go raid Wales and use their lovely tarmac

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

hi ,
yes gps speed detection stuff is not allowed as most of europe but they have to prove you where using it and the data base aint that uptodate ....

as for floresent jackets - you dont have to wear one or even carrry one just the license ,insurance and mot [originals] and possibly a spare set of light bilbs....

But remeber all motorcycle cops in France are Bikers first and police second..and they have off road training too so dont think of loosing them ...

most dangerous thing in France is the newish cyclist allowed through red lights thing...scary when the car infront anchors on...
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

In addition, or by way of a trade off, they are putting an end to mobile radars and introducing 'controle tecniques' (MOT) for bikes. One of the problems is the number of dangerously maintained bikes on the road.

When it was mainly forward facing cameras in one year (2006 I think) they had 20 million hits on speeding bikes resulting in only 80,000 prosecutions which is why most cameras are now rear facing and number plates will be enlarged

A lot of older riders move onto camper vans in which they are a lot more of a danger to other road users
prooney377

Post by prooney377 »

Seems to me after reading this weeks MCN that it's another case of a governments knee jerk reaction to a blip in their statistics. In Q1 of this year the KSI statistics in France show a 12% rise on Q1 of last year. As any sane person knows this does not prove anything. The biggest worry would be if they bring in their draconian measures and the KSI statistics fell dramatically. If this happened it would be a total accident however the other governments in Europe could fall into the trap of believing they fell because of this action and follow suit. Biking is THE last domestic freedom we have where personal risk is allowed and the state takes a back seat. It seems to me that the pen pushers and office junkies are trying to make this enjoyable and beautiful past time as robotic an action as driving a bloody car...............
Why? Why not?
davsato

Post by davsato »

so the moral of the story is......

stick to the bloody speed limit(ish) and dont blame everything else but yourself when you get nabbed.

seems to be de-rigeur in france to see who can have the baldest tyre and the most dragged on the ground loosest rustiest chain. would do them good to have some british and german rules shoved down their throats for once. i can smell the town halls covered in manure and fish guts from here......
Dave

Return to “Europe”