Google Maps - Garmin Zumo

Sleepy

Re: Google Maps - Garmin Zumo

Post by Sleepy »

Check out the video clip above.. Basecamp works in a similar way..
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

IntruderWithin wrote:hi just downloaded basecamp for me garmin today and must admit i failed to get to grips with it. so back using google maps... :whistle:
Try what I posted with gmaptogpx.
nevsey

Post by nevsey »

GOG 007 wrote:Even'g Chaps/ess'es Now we are all good at something, my forte is mortgages and protection, (yes I know so don't even think about it !). I have planed a route for the Chilterns Chill Out Rally on Google Maps, but is there anyway of down loading it to my SD card for the Garmin. I have spent most of the day trying, and now I am going to chuck both laptop and Garmin in the Grand Union Canal, and use a map :( The death of the lap top and my sat nav lie in your hands :P
Can you make sure the canal passes this way[strike][/strike] i use TYRE and find it very good.
RoadTrekker

Post by RoadTrekker »

Not sure why everyone goes on about TYRE as this a Free open source program that was designed for TomTom to work with google maps so I don't see the connection with Garmin? You would have to convert the TomTom File to a Garmin GPX file too much work. You can allways plot your route in Google maps then save it as a GPX file and import it into your Zumo if you want to?

I have had my Zumo 660 for 12 months now and love it been all over Europe with it. I do all the grunt work marking out the routes in Garmin Basecamp then load it onto my Zumo but save it to SD Media card that is shown in the side bar as the main memory is very limited and taken up with all the main maps.

Note: If you have a MAC then you can use either Basecamp or Roadtrip but if you have PC then only use Roadtrip either are available free from the Garmin web site.

There has just been a new Major Map Update released last week for the whole of Europe so go update your maps!

You can even see the route in Google maps as there is a diect link in the menu options. Just spend some time getting used to it and look at YouTube for some easy to follow instructions.

Its still fun to get lost if you know where you are going!

Al
nevsey

Post by nevsey »

RoadTrekker wrote:Not sure why everyone goes on about TYRE as this a Free open source program that was designed for TomTom to work with google maps so I don't see the connection with Garmin? You would have to convert the TomTom File to a Garmin GPX file too much work. You can allways plot your route in Google maps then save it as a GPX file and import it into your Zumo if you want to?

I have had my Zumo 660 for 12 months now and love it been all over Europe with it. I do all the grunt work marking out the routes in Garmin Basecamp then load it onto my Zumo but save it to SD Media card that is shown in the side bar as the main memory is very limited and taken up with all the main maps.

Note: If you have a MAC then you can use either Basecamp or Roadtrip but if you have PC then only use Roadtrip either are available free from the Garmin web site.

There has just been a new Major Map Update released last week for the whole of Europe so go update your maps!

You can even see the route in Google maps as there is a diect link in the menu options. Just spend some time getting used to it and look at YouTube for some easy to follow instructions.

Its still fun to get lost if you know where you are going!

Al
Should that be the other way round with regards to Basecamp/roadtrip ? I have just downloaded basecamp (never knew it existed), seems to be much easier to use than mapsource.
I've not had any problems with TYRE and my Zumo, works fine.
HAMMERHEAD

Post by HAMMERHEAD »

Just posting on this so I can put it in 'MY TOPICS' section.. I am looking at gettin SAT NAV for the bike and don't know where to start, so I want to look at this when I got a bit more time... Thanks all..
GOG 007

Post by GOG 007 »

Well thanks Gents for your replies I never thought it would turn into a debate over whose soft ware was the best, but I think I have sorted out my problem and it is good to here other peeps opinions on the various mapping programmes available. Nev the lap top was never going in the canal, as it is the missus - mind you she could go in as well :lol:
MotoGoLoco

Post by MotoGoLoco »

Hi, erm - at the risk of being kicked, stoned spat on and banished as a hateful spammer...(I'm not, honest!!) - Might as well make it blindingly, obviously and openly clear that I'm one of the guys behind it, but...

I think I might have a better solution to this age old problem of creating a route in Google Maps, then transferring it to your Garmin/TomTom.

We've been working on a maps system, based on Google Maps but with a simple export function -either directly onto a Garmin, TomTom or Navman device, or as a KML GPX or CSV file.

I'm really not a filthy spammer, so I'll hang off posting any links etc until I've been given the all-clear. But ultimately we reckon we've very nearly cracked that really common problem of creating and exporting a route without the headache of Basecamp/MapSource. What we really need is feedback from the kind of guys that are used to the alternatives (i.e. - you lot!)

Would love to go into more detail, but as I say - I'm not here to spam or abuse your forum, it's a brilliant resource and I'd very much like to help keep it that way.

:)

Cheers
James
MotoGoLoco

Post by MotoGoLoco »

No objections? Ok, cool -
http://www.motogoloco.com/map
IainD

Post by IainD »

Had a quick look. not sure what is different to other map sites for route creation?

A couple of things would be really useful (don't take this as a crit just some thoughts)

User weighted options 1 to 10 for say:

Shortest - Fastest

Type of Road (not just avoid motorways / tolls but be able to pick small back roads lanes etc.)

Pick your own average speed(s) to inform the time calculation.

Databases look interesting, will be back for a proper poke around soon.

Thanks for sharing!

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”