Traffic

clutchspring

Traffic

Post by clutchspring »

Hi, looking for some information on new satnavs , when I'm reading the specification on the part wear it's telling me about traffic information I find the information a bit confusing, does the satnav provide the traffic information or is it provided by a linked smartphone using the phones own dated .
Looking to change from years of Garmin ownership which has become a total nightmare to update.
Looking to go for a Tom-tom rider 550.
Hope the above makes some sense,

Thanks,
Ian.
Brenhden

Re: Traffic

Post by Brenhden »

Here is the data from the manual, bit disappointing that. My VW does it without linking to a phone, I guess it has a sim in it.

https://download.tomtom.com/open/manual ... -RIDER.htm

About TomTom Traffic
TomTom Traffic is a TomTom service providing real-time traffic information.

In combination with historical road usage data, TomTom Traffic helps you plan the optimum route to your destination taking into account the current local traffic conditions and the weather.

Your TomTom Rider regularly receives information about the changing traffic conditions. If traffic jams, heavy rain, snow or other incidents are found on your current route, your TomTom Rider will offer to replan your route to try and avoid any delays.

Important: When you approach a faster alternative route, you get a warning in the route bar and you can see the alternative route in both the guidance view and the map view. To accept a faster route, just steer towards the alternative route as you approach it and your device will select it.

To get TomTom services on your TomTom Rider, you must be connected to the internet. You can connect to the internet using one of the following methods:

With a connection using your smartphone. Your device is a 'Smartphone Connected' device.
Wi-Fi.

Note: Some TomTom services might not be available in your current location.

Tip: To access settings and the status of your services quickly, select the menu bar at the top of the main menu. In portrait mode, you can also tap the icons down the right hand side.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Don't know if it's the same on a bike specific unit but my Garmin Nuvi has a small receiver on the power cable that picks up Traffic Master. This displays colour coded red, amaber or green for traffic on route and gives the delay time. If the red is a long delay it plots alternative route or you can select diversion.
sven

Post by sven »

I use to have a TomTom Rider 550 and currently have a Garmin Zumo XT. Both receive traffic info via a smartphone, although the Garmin traffic info is rather hit and miss.

The TomTom is a much better sat nav in my experience, but suffers from screen condensation issues, hence the switch to the XT.

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”