Tom Tom Routes To Garmin

gbags

Tom Tom Routes To Garmin

Post by gbags »

I really liked the Scottish trip in the last issue of the mag, but my technical ability lets me down.

Very simply please, how do I download a route onto my own Garmin or any subsequent satnav? Where do I find them first?

Assume I’m a satnav virgin please who doesn’t even understand any terms or software. Or share a baby-steps link.

Thanks
Peirre

Re: Tom Tom Routes To Garmin

Post by Peirre »

I’d like to use routes I generate in mapsource on a tomtom PND or better still use the tomtom app so I can use the app via CarPlay.
Born2Ride

Post by Born2Ride »

Hello gents,

I have done this with a friend I ride with. I have TomTom and he has BMW Garmin - I can only speak for how export a file

1. Create a route in TomTom Mydrive - this is a website that you create a login for prior to use. mydrive.tomtom.com
2. Export the route to a GPX file. Route sharing.
3. The import of the file to Garmin I don't know about but he manages it and is not that technical so it must be fairly straight forward.

Mydrive can also import gpx files but has similar issues to those below in terms of route calculation differences.

However - there are route issues

a. Even if the avoidance settings are the same, very often the rout that is imported changes slightly (i think due to how TomTom and Garmin calculate a fastest route)
b. Mydrive often has to be forced down a particular road when creatign a route by adding a waypoint here and there. It has too much built in assistance to avoid traffic and road closures etc. It is trying to be helpful!

The gpx files are simply lat/long coordinates but these seem to be overiden by any slight difference in route setting or calculation except for end points.

Bottom line here is that we get that frustrated by it that either I ride up front with my route, or he does. The one at the back switches off sat nav unless lost and needing to get to an end point. otherwise it just becomes nonsense.

Hope that is of some help
Always an adventure, never a disappointment.
gbags

Post by gbags »

Thanks fellas,
I’ll go away and practice.

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”